SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help me decide ES300 or SC 300

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-01, 01:14 PM
BoostedCat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help me decide ES300 or SC 300

Well, I'd like some help. I'm looking at the possibility of purchasing a lexus. In particularly I'm looking at the 93 - 96 SC 300 or ES 300. I've have a basic understanding of these car's engines and transmissions, drivetrain, etc, as well as hp figures and weights... ya know hard facts. I just don't have any personal imput, and that's what I was hoping to get. I'd like to hear some responses on what you all think about these two cars as far as which one would be the better way to go. Are there any quirks or well known problems with either of these that might make another one stand out? I know you have toyota reliability, but every model has it's little problem... i.e. headgaskets on the toyota 3.0 V6 in their pickups/4Runners. I'd appreciate any input. As far as mileage, I was looking to buy somethig with between 80 and 100K miles, as I would imagine these engines and transmissions have the toyota reliability everyone knows about. Could you give me some advise on what to look for? Thank you.

Kyle
Old 10-16-01, 03:38 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

if you plan on adding some go fast parts, it would be the SC300 hands down. if you just want something for daily driving and keeping it stock it would be the ES300.
Old 10-16-01, 03:40 PM
TheKevin
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im trying to make a decision too: Sequioa 4WD or IS300?
Old 10-16-01, 08:26 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

I would go with a manuel sc300. a lot of supra parts will fit on it and es300 is like a camry to me but "i'm biased"
Old 10-17-01, 09:34 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Go for the SC3... The ES is a nice starter Lexus and a great car, but the SC is a higher status automobile. It is rarerly seen. How many ES3's to you see in a DAY to DAY basis? Now count how many SC's you've seen in a MONTH and compare the differences.

Compare these points: All documented from top auto resources

*The construction of the SC is far better than the ES.

*It owes no one anything for its existence. The styling is all excuslive... One of the most attractive cars in the world for years..

*The interior for years was known as one of the best in the world hands down...

*The SC is much faster/stronger than an ES3...

*The MPG is about the same with the SC3 and ES3..

*The SC handles much better...

*The SC is quieter than the ES...

Now don't get me wrong I'm looking for an ES3 or GS3 for my wife right now... They are excellent cars; however if you have a "CHOICE" why not get the better car....

You are comparing a $35K auto in the ES3 to a $48K - $61K auto in the SC... They options is easy if you can afford to get the one you want. Good luck! Let us know what you decide either way you own a Lexus!
Old 10-17-01, 01:23 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Ikon hit it down on every point

If you want to add performance mods later on, definitely get the SC300; its the same motor thats in the Supra and can handle TONS of power without having to shell out major bucks on building the motor

SC400s are nice, and if they had a manual option stock they'd be faster than the SC300s; but they don't...
but it all depends on what YOU want to do with your car...
personally I think the ES300 looks awsome...

but the SC300/400 is RWD and is a much more advanced chassis with more aftermarket potential; and i bought this car so i could turbocharge it...

plus the SC is a I6 or V8 not a V6 both of which sound very good; and to me open V6s are the worst sounding engines next to two-stroke bike engines
an open I6 will sound like a Lamborghini
Old 10-17-01, 05:54 PM
sc300jon

I would say if you can get away without the extra two doors go with the SC.

I'm tall so having that sedan B-pillar right in my blind spot is very annoying, two-door visibility is the only way to go. But if you plan on taking passengers, or lots of luggage, the SC comes up short.

Performance is much better in the SC, of course.

Mine is a commute car and has done wonderfully for 101k miles as such.

-Jon
'92 SC300 5spd.
Old 10-18-01, 06:59 AM
BoostedCat
Driver School Candidate

I first of all want to thank everyone for their replies. They have been very helpful.

Now, can someone give me a nod or something about what i'm about to talk about... Okay, if I were to go with an SC, it would be the 300, just because I think 225hp is enough for now, and why get a big drinkin' heavy V8 for an extra 25 hp. So... the I6 is the same engine that toyota put in the Supra Non turbo MKIV? If this is true, what do people do as far as power adders. In particularly turbocharging. What do most people do... drop in a couple turbo's off a Supra? Is it common to turbocharge the stock engine, or is it a possiblity to drop a Supra TT engine in the SC and have it bolt up to the transmission, etc. Which brings me to another question, the transmissions. It's very hard to find a manual transmission in these cars. I'm assuming they're 5 speeds, although it would be really sweet if it was a 6. So, expecting to find an auto trans in whatever SC I come across, what kind of power can they handle? Are they the same as the Supra's, because I'm well aware that the Supra A/Ts can handle in excess of 600hp.

Thanks,
Kyle
Old 10-18-01, 07:48 AM
sc300jon

Originally posted by BoostedCat
I first of all want to thank everyone for their replies. They have been very helpful.

Now, can someone give me a nod or something about what i'm about to talk about... Okay, if I were to go with an SC, it would be the 300, just because I think 225hp is enough for now, and why get a big drinkin' heavy V8 for an extra 25 hp. So... the I6 is the same engine that toyota put in the Supra Non turbo MKIV? If this is true, what do people do as far as power adders. In particularly turbocharging. What do most people do... drop in a couple turbo's off a Supra? Is it common to turbocharge the stock engine, or is it a possiblity to drop a Supra TT engine in the SC and have it bolt up to the transmission, etc. Which brings me to another question, the transmissions. It's very hard to find a manual transmission in these cars. I'm assuming they're 5 speeds, although it would be really sweet if it was a 6. So, expecting to find an auto trans in whatever SC I come across, what kind of power can they handle? Are they the same as the Supra's, because I'm well aware that the Supra A/Ts can handle in excess of 600hp.

Thanks,
Kyle
Kyle,
While I would LOVE a Supra TT, the 225 hp is enough for me. I drive 80 miles a day and half of that is through a high-speed mountain road. The Lexus will keep up with BMWs, Porsches, and Corvettes just fine. Probably because most of these drivers don't know how to extract that last bit of performance out of their car. If they did I would be dust.

Yes, in straight line performance my car is only average these days, but I have almost no interest in the stoplight-to-stoplight stuff anyway.

Let me say though, the SC300 really needs that 5spd, like I have. An engine with a 6000rpm peak does not perform well behind a conventional automatic.

If you are interested in the turbos and hi-performance just get the Supra. I think in the long run it will be cheaper than buying a upgrading the SC.

My criteria for a commute car:

1. reliable
2. good performance
3. excellent handling
4. 400mile gas tank range
5. excellent brakes
6. quiet
7. comfortable
8. safe

When I got my SC300 the only other car I was considering was a M3. I choose the SC300 for it's better reliability, cruising range, and comfort. All the M3 had going for it was better handling. And, as a former Toyota engineer, I've really come to appreciate just how well the SC is designed and built, a wonderful car.

-Jon
Old 10-18-01, 11:49 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by BoostedCat

Thanks,
Kyle
most people put a turbo kit on their car; the turbos on a SupraTT are small stock so most people won't waste their time... the exhaust manifold has a different bolt pattern on the 2jz-ge head so the turbos won't work anyway...
the engines can handle around 700rwhp with NOS i've been told by many

the trannies are 5-speeds... i have one its really cool; but they won't take much more over 400-450rwhp before they start breaking... you can swap the 6-speed in easier on a 5-speed car because most of the parts are already there... you'll need the LSD in the supra sa well...
Supra autos CAN'T handle in excess of 600hp... BUILT autos can... but ANY built auto can handle that much power so it doesn't matter... the auto in the SupraTT is different
SC300 autos are pitifully weak and REALLY slow the car down... we're talking A LOT...
Old 10-18-01, 11:53 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by sc300jon

If you are interested in the turbos and hi-performance just get the Supra. I think in the long run it will be cheaper than buying a upgrading the SC.

My criteria for a commute car:

4. 400mile gas tank range

-Jon
The SC is actually cheaper 94 TT Supras go for $20k
while 92 SC300 5-speeds go for $9k... big turbo kit and everything for it won't be anymore than $7000-$8000 after fuel and electronics... 500rwhp to the ground is possible... then toss in a NOS bottle and you have 600rwhp and its reliable as hell
you'll still need to do a 6-speed swap... but its not real expensive at all... 6-speeds go used for $1500 or so
Old 10-18-01, 02:12 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

Dont know, but my dads es is for sale if your interested. 97, 50k miles, GREAT condition, hes askin 17k for it - email me @ the_ez_rhino@hotmail.com if interested

But yes if your looking for a pimp *** smoke other cars / pick up women go for the sc , daily driver go es