looking to buy a sc300

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-06, 12:10 PM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy a sc300

hi everybody,

first off let me intro myself, im jason currently a college student attending uci. ive been viewing the clublexus forums for quite sometime now, since i've all but decided on purchasing a sc300 for a daily driver. i recently found one at a dealership in irvine for 13900. its a red 97 with 83k miles on it. personally, i think that's overpriced, but i was wondering what you all think, since you guys have first hand experience with these cars. ive done some research regarding these cars, regarding the types of maintenance problems involved etc etc, but is there anything i should defintely know about these cars? not really looking to purchase until i gather as much info as i possibly can.

thanks in advance
anybody here from irvine or 626 area...
Old 10-11-06, 12:15 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

I'm sorry u feel that way, but i dont understand how are cars are valued this low. At the end of the day its a lexus so u get what you pay for.
Old 10-11-06, 12:21 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Well... the lexus is from 97, and you are looking at buying it from a dealership, so the price seems right. Private sellers will sell for less. And pre-96 cars are cheaper.
Old 10-11-06, 03:54 PM
soarer1023
Lead Lap

if i m you, i will just wait around to look for the a better deal, that dealer price, like u said, is just a little high, but than again it's a dealer. in general, the SC engine is bullet proof, i have it for 4 yrs now, the only problem coming from the engine area was the alternator and that's it. unless u buy a SC that has oil leak or poorly maintained, i will say nothing is going to go wrong with the SC, just keep up with the services. and one common problem about the SC is the dash board needles, they seem to go off fairly easy, other than that, nothing. and btw, i live by tustin, since i go to school down here.
Old 10-11-06, 04:54 PM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

thx for the advice soarer1023, yea i was thinking of waiting for a better deal to come along, but imma try and haggle with the dealer and see how it goes. where do you go to school, maybe we can meet up for a beer or something and talk cars...
Old 10-11-06, 05:06 PM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

that seems right to me.
Old 10-11-06, 05:08 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

remember, this car was over 40k when new in 97
Old 10-11-06, 05:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 130 Likes on 108 Posts

go on ebay and buy this one if you think the red 97 is too much.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-11-06, 06:57 PM
hopkinskid
Driver School Candidate

Hi Jason,

That price is high, and there are plenty of deals out there, either on this site, or on ebay/autotrader, etc. Obviously, it's a bit discomforting buying a car online, but you'd be surprised how many well-maintained beauties there are even on ebay. Just have to be extra careful, you know?

Anyways, I bought my 1994 with 85k miles for $8k, and then spent another $2.5k replacing the suspension, brake pads/rotors, new wheels, new tires, etc. I'm confident my baby will last a LONG time now, and I'm very pleased. The car already had the timing belt/water pump taken care of. I'm sure you could find a 1997 for less than $13.9k. Also, once 90k comes along, you'll have to spend some major $ on the major maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc....approx $1200 or so). Maybe I'm being a bit pessimistic, but I doubt the 1997 you're looking at has had everything replaced.

Plus, in my opinion, I'd rather buy it from a private owner who could show me all the minor and major maintenance records, is more willing to negotiate, and who truly took care of the car. I wouldn't be too bothered about mileage either...I've seen examples with 170-200k miles. I'd rather buy a car with 100k miles with all the major maintenance taken care of, versus picking a car with 80k with those headaches coming up.

I'm relatively new, so perhaps I don't know what I'm talking about. But my two cents
Old 10-11-06, 10:02 PM
soarer1023
Lead Lap

another place to look for a SC is craigslist.org try that, there are always some good deal there. and i go to school at CSU fullerton, and my apt is at tustin, and yeah, i am definitely down for beer and car talk. let me know
Old 10-12-06, 12:07 PM
hknubsauce
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by soarer1023
another place to look for a SC is craigslist.org try that, there are always some good deal there. and i go to school at CSU fullerton, and my apt is at tustin, and yeah, i am definitely down for beer and car talk. let me know
yea, i've been searching autotrader, and craigslist lately, haven't found a suitable sc yet...

pm me your aim or contact, and we can set somthing up, know of any good bars round this area?

and hopkinskid, thanks for your advice.
Old 10-12-06, 12:15 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

U go to fullerton? Ive seen a few sc's around. I have the white sc400. I park in lot e and the nutwood parking structure.
Old 10-12-06, 04:23 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
go on ebay and buy this one if you think the red 97 is too much.....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...QQcmdZViewItem
Since you go to University of California, Irvine You can get the car off ebay and have TimeMachine Racecraft in Oceanside finish it for you. If its all there like the guy says. He's got 100% +++ FB but who really knows with sleaze-bay deals right? It should end up to be a pretty nice setup Except the trans wont handle that much HP. Turbo SCs Kick Assssss

I bought my 97 Black on Black with 58k miles for like 13k and change. So keep looking the car isnt worth more than that.
Old 10-12-06, 08:45 PM
scsrock
Pole Position

I saw a '97 auto SC300 for 9.7K (it had 97K miles) a week ago.
Old 10-12-06, 11:59 PM
joshthorsc
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i m you, i will just wait around to look for the a better deal, that dealer price, like u said, is just a little high, but than again it's a dealer. in general, the SC engine is bullet proof, i have it for 4 yrs now, the only problem coming from the engine area was the alternator and that's it. unless u buy a SC that has oil leak or poorly maintained, i will say nothing is going to go wrong with the SC, just keep up with the services. and one common problem about the SC is the dash board needles, they seem to go off fairly easy, other than that, nothing. and btw, i live by tustin, since i go to school down here.
I agree! A poorly maintained SC300(or any other car) will put a big dent in your wallet!

As for the price, see if the dealer is willing to go lower.

~Josh

Quick Reply: looking to buy a sc300