SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

general pricing on 97 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-01, 08:09 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by The Ikon
Rare does not mean desirable... Meaning that 5 spd SC3 are only desirable to most people that want to turbo charge it, in most cases... Most consumers do not want manual cars, hence that's why Lexus(other car companies too) only made few number or manual sporty cars. 5spd 300 coupes are classified as "base" model Lexus sport coupes there is no way around it.

The potential for upgrades are great however if you desire to go that route. If you just want a nice sports car with a stick to go fast in the stock form, get a Supra TT, 300ZX TT or RX7 TT.

However, if you want spirited driving in a manual, luxo, sporty, grand tourer coupe in stock form get the SC3. I prefer manaul sports cars too, however I don't classify the SC3 or 4 as a true "sports car" it is a "sports coupe"....

***Truly, how many people trick-out, turbo charge, street race or customize a $45K- $60K car as the SC3 and SC4? Out of all the coupes made probably 100 or so are truly tricked out. Most are still garaged kept luxury cars...

As the car's worth, always remember a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... Just go to:

* www.traderonline.com and check out the prices for 95' - 97' SC3...
* Also go to your local paper(s)
* www.ebay.com

Remember it is your $$$... Don't let anyone set the limit for you, do that yourself... Remember "Direct" only paid $18K(with an automatic) for his 97' that's certified, why is the this one worth $26K??? What is it going to hurt to offer them $21 and maybe, maybe, maybe settle on $23K?
I payed 18k and my car is in perfect shape. Body is prabably is the best you can get with a used car. Engine bay is pretty clean, no oil spils just dust. inside it's pretty clean, except for scratched up ignition ring and the plate around the shifter. I replaced that and that was it. Everything works fine and I am happy.
Old 10-23-01, 01:34 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Direct, how are you liking your Apexi S-AFC?

*Have you dynoed it yet or G-Teched?

*What are your 1/4 et improvements?

*What are your h.p. gains, do you feel the difference?

*What about mpg improvements?
Old 10-23-01, 08:01 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by The Ikon
Direct, how are you liking your Apexi S-AFC?

*Have you dynoed it yet or G-Teched?

*What are your 1/4 et improvements?

*What are your h.p. gains, do you feel the difference?

*What about mpg improvements?
Going to dyno the car this weekend. I couldn't do it because the place where I was going to dyno my car at blew up their dyno. Now it's working so I will go there this weekend. I will give you all the scoup when I do all that.
Old 10-23-01, 08:46 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Let us know once ya' do... Is the place in Chicago or someplace else. Who installed your unit?

How much is dyno time up there?

So many ???'s, but it is CL...

Thanks guy..
Old 10-23-01, 12:38 PM
jaycee26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile i got my ...

... 96 SC3 for free.

Well, it is mine and it isn't ... my bro-in-law handed it down to me for my use.

Last edited by jaycee26; 10-23-01 at 01:11 PM.
Old 10-23-01, 12:41 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: i got my ...

Originally posted by jaycee26
[IMG]c:\windows\desktop\lexus.jpg[/IMG] ... 96 SC3 for free.

Well, it is mine and it isn't ... my bro-in-law handed it down to me for my use.
I can't see the picture and that sounds like a good deal. So when are you going to turbo it?
Old 10-23-01, 12:44 PM
jaycee26
Driver School Candidate

Default no pic?

can't see the pic? I can. I'll email it to you if u r interested.

No plan on a turbo ... yet. Financially strapped right now ... basically jobless! I will have to see how things go.

Sad, I know, but unfortunately true.
Old 10-23-01, 01:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SC300 5-speed a base model? LOL

i think if you ask people; that most people will say they'd figure you'd need to pay a lot more money to get a 5-speed in a SC300... my car has every option available for the SC300 and i bought it in PERFECT condition for $13k... and its a 95

don't get a SC400 unless you're just getting a car for pure luxury

i would consider the SC300 5-speed or the IS300 5-speed as the two options since they both have wonderous aftermarket support and have extreme potential...
Old 10-23-01, 01:13 PM
jaycee26
Driver School Candidate

Default Re: Re: i got my ...

Originally posted by DIrEctQL

I can't see the picture and that sounds like a good deal. So when are you going to turbo it?
Direct ... I added the pic to a Yahoo photo album ... you can go to my original post and click the link to see the pic.
Old 10-23-01, 02:26 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

i think if you ask people; that most people will say they'd figure you'd need to pay a lot more money to get a 5-speed in a SC300...
Not according to all the price guides and the insurance companies... Just you turbo charging speed freaks!!!

Jaycee, nice coupe..
Old 10-23-01, 02:38 PM
Lance
Rookie

SC300 5-speed a base model? LOL
Sorry, but it is. Doesn't matter what "most people figure", base is base.

don't get a SC400 unless you're just getting a car for pure luxury
Hmmmm...not really sure what you mean. Yes, the SC400 IS more luxurious than the SC300, but the SC400 is also faster 0-60, faster in the 1/4 mile, AND has a higher top speed than the SC300 (even with the manual).

Everyone mentions that more aftermarket parts are available for the SC300, but short of a (VERY expensive) turbo or S/C setup, the SC300 will always trail the SC400 in all the traditional "sport" catagories (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Let's face it, both the SC's are great, powerful LUXURY coupes with a nice sporty touch. Like the Ikon said, they are not sports cars. Aftermarket support doesn't follow the best and most desirable cars--if it did, I'd be driving a Civic and Mustang.

Lance
Old 10-23-01, 03:21 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Well put Lance...
Old 10-23-01, 04:15 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm saying what people would THINK... i know SC400s are more expensive...

and I also know they are SLOWER than the SC300 manuals... sorry but I've whooped *** upon two already... pulled 2 cars on him at around 60mph and i just kept goin... and i spun real bad off the line as well... the second was on a roll against another one... i beat him too pretty bad...

I don't know where you've been getting your info, but here again is where I disagree with some of the magazines, I have never been beat by another Lexus before... I raced a IS300 and beat him too; he was definitely an automatic as I'm pretty sure I would have lost to him if he was one of the newer manuals... since they weigh almost 300lbs less than me...

the SC400 has NO aftermarket save for a TC, shift kit, exhaust, intake, NOS, etc... there are NO fast SC400s around... i don't consider a 13.8 fast at all; you're just barely competing with a bone stock Mustang GT that way...
i don't wanna knock the 400, but you guys are smoking something if you think its a BETTER car

"Aftermarket support doesn't follow the best and most desirable cars--if it did, I'd be driving a Civic and Mustang. "

ummm aftermarket follows where the support and potential is... all show items follow the Honda crowd, with some real power mods like turbos, etc...
if i'm understanding what you're saying, then you're saying the civic and mustang are the best and most desirable cars? HAH
Turbo setups aren't that expensive... in fact, i bet its almost the difference between values of say a SC300 5-speed and a SC400 of the same year and mileage...

the SC300's aftermarket support lies in its turbo options... i can spend $4000 in parts that i piece together and build a turbokit that will put me in the low 13s with a bad launch and a 108-110mph trap... and trap speeds are what matter on the street mostly... i can spend another $1000 on top of that turbo kit and be in the 11s with 120mph traps... thats faster than a Viper...

Don't EVER think your 400 is better in everything than a 300 because its not, that suggests you look down upon the 300 series cars. Your cars are more luxurious, but as I stated before, and I have my evidence that I have seen with my OWN eyes, the SC300 5-speed is FASTER than the SC400 stock, and with the same $$$ in mods, and it has MUCH more potential, negating people with crazy-*** $100k budgets like HKS's V8 Supra over in Japan of course...

this assumption about 400series cars being better than the 300series is the same as a Cobra owner who spends $32k on his brand new Mustang Cobra and thinks its better in every way possible than Chevy's middle model Z28... fact is, a Cobra is dog slow compared to a Z28, and it handles marginally better...
same goes for a lot of other cars as well...
but here i'm wasting my time
Old 10-23-01, 05:54 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I NEVER meet a car knowledgeable person that thought a manual car is worth more than a similiar car with an auto... Has any one else?

Bean, I have BEATEN SC300 automatics and 5spd in my 92' SC400 more than you can guess. Every one on this site knows the SC4 is faster than a SC3. You are just kidding right? To truly think otherwise is confusing...

From an April edition of Motor Trend in 93' ... SC3 0-60 is 7.8 1/4 et is "15.8" with a 5spd... SC4 is 6.9 and 15.0... LS4 is 7.6 and 15.6... I'm sure they have professional drivers there...(I have read of a 5spd doing lower 15's before...)

Don't even bring up the 98' - 00' SC4 with the 290hp 5spd automatic trans. This yr. model and the GS4 get the EXACT 1/4 times and the coupe is faster in the top speed!

A SC3 is a great car! The SC4 is just a better car! The technology is the V8/drive train is seamless silky smooth. There is too many articles, awards, acolades, etc to back up these facts! The SC3 is a great car...

I think you are taking this a lil' on the wrong side. There is nothing wrong with stepping up to a higher dollar or nicer car. For 92' - 97 or 98' the SC4 was the highest price auto that Lexus made by $400 over the LS4...

The ladder in the Lexus line was: ES3, GS3, SC3, GS4, LS4, SC4... Then the LS4 became the price leader again...

Why is there this debate anyway? Lexus cars are NOT ricer's anyway. The SC4 is/was design to take our the 850il, Benz coupe/SL, XK6 / 8, and Porsche 928 it accomplished it job well.. A GT coupe in grand luxury form and fashion...

The lil' brother SC3 was design to get you in a coupe at a competitive price with the smaller engine, less standard features, and a manual or auto....

I have never seen, read or heard until now that a SC3 is faster than a SC4 of ANY year or even the IS3 with auto. I and noone else beleives that either. No where.. Maybe you just have a faster than normal SC3 or maybe you are just a better driver than most.. Who knows, anything is possible... I drove SC3 before I bought my SC4 and the car is too sluggish at high speeds , given the weight of the car. So I know a SC4 would punish you at the top end... Then maybe it is a special situation going on... Hey a LS4 is faster than a SC3 too...

I'll still just stick with my SC4 and cruise at high speeds not even hearing the big V8 growl... Why tear up a $50 - 60K car any way... Maybe just maybe we can enjoy our coupes as they where designed for... Just add a lil more power...

We have a Mustang too and a Cobra IS much better than a Base or regular GT... A Yugo can be made fast too...

Legend, if you are not planning on ripping your car apart and ricing it out. Get a SC4 for resale, power, and the prestige of the car...

Either way you are going to get a great car SC3 or SC4!!! I think we all can agree on this...

Last edited by The Ikon; 10-23-01 at 06:17 PM.
Old 10-23-01, 07:32 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I was considering the SC400. but it doesn't have a stick and I want a manual.
Here's the other problem, the car is being sold as private party. He bought it only 5,000 miles (half a year) ago and it was Lexus Certified (for 3 years/10,000 miles).
So he said there's still 2.5 years left on the warranty, and that plays a factor in the price we negotiated.
Now, today I called the lexus dealer where this car was certified. The manager there said that the certified warranty IS NOT transferable. Meaning if I buy the car, then I wont get the rest of the 2.5 year warranty. That sounds ridiculous. Is this true? Also the dealer said if you had bought an EXTENDED warranty, THEN it would've been transferable.
Can anyone confirm this?
please help!!!

Quick Reply: general pricing on 97 SC300