SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

general pricing on 97 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-01, 08:04 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question general pricing on 97 SC300

Hi, I'm wondering what what be a good price to pay for a '97 Sc300 stick with 50k miles... asking price about $25k?
what is a good price I should offer? what areas should I look for when inspecting the car?
I'm a newbie and ANY help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-18-01, 09:41 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to www.edmunds.com and www.kbb.com That'll give you some sort of pricing idea. You can probably play the fact that its a 5-spd to your advantage, since most people want automatics...unless the dealer knows that its rare and desireable in some circles, and is willing to hold out for somebody who will pay that kind of extra $$ for it.
Old 10-18-01, 02:29 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

how does lexus certified count?
how much more would the car sell than if it isn't certified?
Old 10-19-01, 10:02 AM
Black94RX-7TT
Pole Position

The dealer will play certification to the hilt.....it will add major $$$ to the price. I personally wouldn't factor certification into my decision, as I feel that I can inspect a potential car well enough on my own.
Old 10-19-01, 10:18 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Black94RX-7TT
The dealer will play certification to the hilt.....it will add major $$$ to the price. I personally wouldn't factor certification into my decision, as I feel that I can inspect a potential car well enough on my own.
I payed 18K for my '97. It had 60k miles on it when I got it. It's an automatic with almost all the options.

PS. My car is very clean outside and the engine bay is very clean too. It's also Lexus certified and I did get it at a dealer.
Old 10-19-01, 11:47 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Direct, 18K for a 97' is a great deal especially at a dealer. Dealers are selling 97' ES300 that are certified for $18K - $21K.

Legend, I did a nation wide search on www.traderonline.com for certified SC3. The search turned up an average price of $26K for certified SC3. The lowest price was $22K the highest was $28K. All these cars were automatics too, which would make them a lil' more in value.

Check www.kbb.com for used car values. Also see what cars are selling for in YOUR region on traderonline.com . Tell the dealer you are willing to pay ONLY $21K and be firm! See if he will take your offer or at least come close to it... Being 5 spd does not the value increase on the car regardless if it is rare or not...

Good luck
Old 10-19-01, 11:56 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by The Ikon
Direct, 18K for a 97' is a great deal especially at a dealer. Dealers are selling 97' ES300 that are certified for $18K - $21K.

I know, I totally beat that dealer up. I ended up walking out like 8 times, pointing out every imperfection about the car, and other tricks of mine. It was also the end of the sales year for them. So they had to do it or else the car would be moved to another dealer.

Old 10-19-01, 12:01 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Direct made me think of another point too. As slow as the economy is right now, plus the uncertainy of the feeling of consumers.(with the war crap, national tragedy...)

Take my advice and Direct's too! Go in there and get the car at your price!!!
Old 10-19-01, 12:39 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Question whoa, THANKS

Wow, thanks for the overwhelming responses. Just when I thought no one could give me advice, boom, there's a bunch of replies.

Actually, this isn't from the dealer, this is from a private seller. It was bought just 5000 miles ago earlier this year. The lexus certified warranty should still apply for 2.5 years, but that means I don't have to pay a premium for this car right? since its not from the dealer directly? I dont know. I hope to get down to $21k - $22k. but in the VA/DC area, that would be a very good deal.
Edmunds says $21,123 for private sale. but $26,000 for certified.

My last question is, if the stereo says Lexus Premium Sound System, P6805
then is that not nakamichi ? and if not, then how good is it? what's the difference? night and day or barely notice a difference.
Old 10-19-01, 12:50 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: whoa, THANKS

Originally posted by Legends6spd
Wow, thanks for the overwhelming responses. Just when I thought no one could give me advice, boom, there's a bunch of replies.

Actually, this isn't from the dealer, this is from a private seller. It was bought just 5000 miles ago earlier this year. The lexus certified warranty should still apply for 2.5 years, but that means I don't have to pay a premium for this car right? since its not from the dealer directly? I dont know. I hope to get down to $21k - $22k. but in the VA/DC area, that would be a very good deal.
Edmunds says $21,123 for private sale. but $26,000 for certified.

then is that not nakamichi ? and if not, then how good is it? what's the difference? night and day or barely notice a difference.
It's not super powerful but it sounds great. It's still better than what you can get with any other cars. When they say premium, then it's usually the same what other people pay to better stereo when buying other cars. I haven't seen Nakamichi with any SC300 yet. I have seen it in a SC400 all over the place.
Old 10-22-01, 08:22 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

It should say, Nakimichi premium sound system then it is the 240 -280 watt stereo.

As for the price, go LOW and see if they will BITE! Maybe they paid to much for the car. Maybe they are trying to make a profit?

If they are truly in need of selling they car they WILL sell it for PAY-OFF... Then you can contact their lending instuition with the vin#, account # and get pay-off amount currently.

Ask why are they selling so fast any way? They may not like the car:eek: , it happens. If so low ball them... I would not pay a private party $26k for a SC3 when you could get a 97' SC4 from a private party for the same price or lower with low miles{under 70K}...

Certified 97' SC4 are around $32K...
Old 10-22-01, 09:01 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

There are plenty of SC3 you can get for $21K with low miles. Don't get caught up in the hype of certified vehicle....

A SC3 with 55K miles has the remainder of the FACTORY warranty any way... Plus there is a zillion extended warranty companies that will offer you bumper to bumper coverage for the next 3 years of your car for $499 - $1200 bucks...

Check out:

*** www.autoextendwarranty.com >>>only $499 for a 2 year 24K warr. and $599 for a 36 month 36K warranty... Benz, BMW, even Infinity has a $500 MORE "high line price" per quote!!! This only proves that Lexus IS the MOST reliable luxo car company on the market...

*** www.nextcarwarranty.com

*** www.warrantybynet.com

Get a SC3 for around $20K and buy your own warranty, once the factory warr. is about expire...
Old 10-22-01, 09:52 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Ikron. Thank you for your suggestions.
However, SC300 with 5 speed? is a pretty rare find.
I read on this board there were only 3000 SC3's produced in '97
and manual transmission was only what, 15-20% of productin?
that makes it about 500 SC3 sticks in '97. and add black color to that... makes it even a harder find
add the fact there's alot of options and its in terrific condition. I think this car's worth it for around $23k.
Let me know if my facts are wrong.
Old 10-22-01, 02:01 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Rare does not mean desirable... Meaning that 5 spd SC3 are only desirable to most people that want to turbo charge it, in most cases... Most consumers do not want manual cars, hence that's why Lexus(other car companies too) only made few number or manual sporty cars. 5spd 300 coupes are classified as "base" model Lexus sport coupes there is no way around it.

The potential for upgrades are great however if you desire to go that route. If you just want a nice sports car with a stick to go fast in the stock form, get a Supra TT, 300ZX TT or RX7 TT.

However, if you want spirited driving in a manual, luxo, sporty, grand tourer coupe in stock form get the SC3. I prefer manaul sports cars too, however I don't classify the SC3 or 4 as a true "sports car" it is a "sports coupe"....

***Truly, how many people trick-out, turbo charge, street race or customize a $45K- $60K car as the SC3 and SC4? Out of all the coupes made probably 100 or so are truly tricked out. Most are still garaged kept luxury cars...

As the car's worth, always remember a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it... Just go to:

* www.traderonline.com and check out the prices for 95' - 97' SC3...
* Also go to your local paper(s)
* www.ebay.com

Remember it is your $$$... Don't let anyone set the limit for you, do that yourself... Remember "Direct" only paid $18K(with an automatic) for his 97' that's certified, why is the this one worth $26K??? What is it going to hurt to offer them $21 and maybe, maybe, maybe settle on $23K?

Last edited by The Ikon; 10-22-01 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-22-01, 03:18 PM
Lance
Rookie

Ikon always takes the words out of my mouth

Case in point, my girlfriend is selling her loaded 97 SC400 with 39k miles for 27K, very close to the amount they're asking for the SC3. No matter how desirable the SC3 might be on this list, lets face it--for the vast majority of folks, it's a step down in power, smoothness, and if such things matter, prestige.

It's definately a matter of taste, but have you considered an SC400?

Lance
98 SC400

Quick Reply: general pricing on 97 SC300