SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My SC is built like a TANK!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-06, 02:16 PM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My SC is built like a TANK!

So my car got slammed by a 10 wheel dump truck yesterday.

I stopped for a yellow light, and I guess he thought I was going to run it, and he was too. I was tottaly stopped when I got hit, plowed us a good 10 feet forward. I looked in my rearview mirror just in time to see his push bar 3" from the back of my car. My brain didn't even have time to process dropping the F bomb. The other driver was cited for following to close, unsafe tires (had one of the tires in the back tottaly shredded) & no proof of insurance. It was a local city goverment truck so I'm sure they have some coverage. It whiped my dads neck enought that he took an ambulance ride to the hostpital, then I also stopped by the emergence room to get my back an neck checked out. We're both doing better. I'm hoping that both of us are only just sore & there was no permant damage.

When both me & my father got out we were expecting to see the whole rear crushed in, but the damage was limited to creasing & bending the trunk which scraped some paint off of both 1/4 pannels, ruined the spoiler, cracked one tail light, and pushed the other in aprox 2-3", rear bumper is bulging out and creased, trunk lid pinched some paint off of both rear 1/4 pannels (but stayed latched) and the drivers side 1/4 pannel bowed out a little bit. Needless to say we were both floored to see how little damage it took.

Pics will follow soon.

I've been thinking about stuff I'll need to make sure its repaired right.
so far I've got
check air bag system
check/replace seat belts & co2 cartriges
check frame for dammage
Have a full alingment done
Replace quarter pannel * make sure its welded in right
replace trunk, spoiler, bumper, tail lights, ect
pull body back out where tail lights mount
find a body shop that thinks they might actualy be able to match the Royal Saphire Pearl.
Spray trunk, bumper, spoiler, both quarter pannels, & blend into doors & roof (maybe respray entire roof).

anything else I should have checked on? I'm going to be taking it to several hi quality body shops, & Lexus for qotes.
Old 10-17-06, 02:21 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damnn glad to hear ur ok..
Old 10-17-06, 02:59 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

for idiot aggressive truck drivers
Old 10-17-06, 03:38 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Sue And Buy Me An Nsx!!!!!!
Old 10-17-06, 05:02 PM
dejacky
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I have to agree with you that the sc300's are built like tanks and very safe from a collision safety perspective. Good ol toyota uni-body construction. oh glad you're okay too. Despite how much we all love our cars, it's important to not let our anger of a collision supercede our gratefullness for being alive .
Old 10-17-06, 07:12 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

holy crap...glad you and your dad are alright (somewhat), damn the truck driver, he messed up an RSP!!! keel him
Old 10-17-06, 07:45 PM
Rookie

danm rsp thats gonna be hard and i can imagine what they'll charge well ur not payinf for it what did the truck driver say or company are you getting a sue or just pay the repairs?
Old 10-17-06, 08:11 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
anything else I should have checked on?
The price of a new GS430, cause that's what they are gonna be buying you
Old 10-17-06, 08:21 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Baoser
holy crap...glad you and your dad are alright (somewhat), damn the truck driver, he messed up an RSP!!! keel him
I'm probably going to pay more now for the RSP I'm looking at.

Glad your all o.k.
Old 10-17-06, 09:02 PM
pionear
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah, and those cars are kinda small...
Glad you're OK...
Old 10-17-06, 09:58 PM
SpinAll4

Unhappy

The adjuster from my insurance agency came by to look at the carnage while I was at work today. What I was worried about did happen, one if not both rear frame rails have bent. The drivers side one bent & creased in 2 different spots so the rear of the car will have to be put on the frame rack and pulled straight again. I did want to try to keep the car as I've spent hundred of hours on getting it to where I want.

The car had the whole interrior stripped & aprox 100 sq ft of dynamt extreme, 5 gallons of second skin audio spectrum, & 5 lb box of polly fill stuffing were all used for sounddamening.

An MTX thunder 5500 10" sub was custom fiberglassed into the rear deck, 1/0 awg power wire run from the alt to the postive battery post, back to the trunk, cap, PG Ti 400.2 amp mounted on a vinyl rack in the trunk, 1/0 awg grounds, custom exide orbital battery install was done. XM commander with a JVC kdg 910 custom in the dash.

A viper 791 with battery back up, RFD sensor, trunk pop, gas door pop, starter kill, ect done.

TSX projectors HID conversion in the headlights.

All by me as I'm an installer, so I have no recipts to show for proof a labor.

Blah I'm so fed up with cars right now, First my Typhoon gets slammed about 6 months ago, now my Lexus. I've got 25,000$ in nice cars sitting at my house trashed, and I have to drive my 97 Subaru legacy beater to work now.
Old 10-17-06, 10:41 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Salvaged? if so...

BUY IT BACK!!! and if they wont let you, shoot the guy that trys to tow it! haha
Old 10-17-06, 11:14 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about your luck man. Just remember your dad and you are still here. Cars can be replaced.
Old 10-18-06, 09:46 AM
SpinAll4

as promised pics of the dammage.

Old 10-18-06, 10:15 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

luckily you and your dad is ok .shes not that bad, easy fix , just get it done right and it will be fine ,the person who had my sc 400 before was in an accident similar to yours .they just did not do a good and now there is a gap on top of the lights and the bumper . but yours dont look too bad .good luck with fix

Quick Reply: My SC is built like a TANK!