SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

rear speaker access, how?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-01, 12:24 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear speaker access, how?

Hi, I have sc400, but can't figure out how to access to rear speaker..
I tried to access from trunk..but dont think this is right way. do I need to remove the rear seat? is there any screws?
sorry, it's kinda newbie question
Old 10-18-01, 05:19 AM
GeneK25
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a easy. You have to do it from inside. First, you have to remove back seat, then cover panel above speakers and subwoofer, not the individual ones, the whole triangular looking one. Then you have access.
Old 10-18-01, 07:51 AM
sc300jon

I'll just add that this speaker panel (aka "package tray") is easier to take out if you remove the third brake light module first. Just slide it towards you and tilt up and out.

Be careful when removing the package tray. It can become very brittle after a few summers in the hot sun.

-Jon
Old 10-18-01, 08:12 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

thanks for reply
Can you explain more detail on removing back seat?
I tried pull up the back seat but it doesn't seem to come up. Is there any screws?
thanks for help
Old 10-18-01, 08:25 AM
sc300jon

As I recall there no screws holding down the part you sit on. Just give a good yank from the front edge, they kinda pop out. Once these are removed you'll see the fasteners for the back seat.

If you are lucky you may find a rusty fuse, cracked ballpoint pen, a tarnished nickel, and a used book of matches all under the seat

-Jon
Old 10-18-01, 09:15 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for detail, that's what i needed

by the way, when I access from trunk, there was hole on each side next to speakers, and could easily open it but there was lots of cracked peace of glasses...any idea what it was? gotta check what it was but it wasn't broken window for sure...
hmm anywayz, thanks for help again
Old 10-18-01, 09:17 AM
sc300jon

Cracked glass:eek:

Probably evidence of a replaced window.

-Jon
'92 SC300, 5spd, TT brakes, new sound system (and the skinned knuckles to prove it!)
Old 10-18-01, 09:40 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

If you are lucky you may find a rusty fuse, cracked ballpoint pen, a tarnished nickel, and a used book of matches all under the seat
And if you are really BAD BOY, you may find a Trojan, Durex or Magnum wrapper...

It's tight back in the Lexus coupe, but I urrrrrrrrr ummmmmm "heard" it is quite possible ... To enjoy a comfy "RIDE"....

The Ikon
Old 10-18-01, 10:13 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

IKON, lol

I dont wanna find out what my previous owner did in the car
Old 10-18-01, 04:32 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I bought my SC from the mayor of Corinth, MS a few years ago and I hope he and the Mrs. did not relive their youth in my SC either. But if they did what the hell!!!!
Old 10-18-01, 04:35 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

What type of speakers are you putting in the rear? Do you have the "Nakimichi Premium system" of the "pioneer" based unit? I'm thinking that's why the speakers are different sizes in the rear of some coupes.(I'm not sure just speculating...)

Let me know what size speakers you have and the type of system too.
Old 10-18-01, 05:54 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

I have Nak sys but haven't looked at rear speaker yet so dont know what size they are. I think 4".

Before I get MB Quart for front, I wanna swap rear one to front because I have problem with hiss noise on certain music I have( and AM radio). Probably it's my CD-R but if not, gotta work on the cables on rear speakers..

how is your speakers? did you get new speakers yet?
actually I haven't decide which speaker I'm going for.
Old 10-19-01, 05:08 AM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by sc300jon
As I recall there no screws holding down the part you sit on. Just give a good yank from the front edge, they kinda pop out. Once these are removed you'll see the fasteners for the back seat.

-Jon
To remove the bottom of the seats, you need to push down on the seat while pulling it toward the from of the car. Like Jon said, no screws, just give it a yank, but push down at the same time. When you're done, you will have a pleasant surprise of, on average, .37 cents, 3 pen caps yet only one broken ball point pen (where did the others go???:eek A book of matches from a hoaky place in a state that is the furthest distance from your house. 2 "bobby pins", 1 rusted paperxlip, and a mysterious napkin that has a strange white powder on it. AND IF YOUR LUCKY (like the Ikon, hehehehe).....you could possibly have an antique love glove wrapper; or possibly the realdeal itself.

Hey Ikon, I was wondering where that went!!! Sorry bout' the stains on the seat.

To remove the rear vertical coushins, just push in to the rear of the car and pull them up. Keep an eye on the seat belts. Once the seat is out, this will expose 2 loose unidentified self tapping silver screws that did not come with the vehicle. The lucky ones have a shiney 10mm nut glistening in the light which appears to be OEM. Though every exhaustable effort is used to determine the origin of this nut, nothing is found. So it lay there, alone in the vast wasteland of dried out fly,mosquito, and love bug carcasses; covered in dust. Oddly, when you re-install the seat; the nut is left for the next unsuspecting owner to encounter!
Old 10-19-01, 06:45 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking

Hey Ikon, I was wondering where that went!!! Sorry bout' the stains on the seat.
HA ha :eek:

It's leather so it was OK!

Sounds easy enough on the rear seat removal. Keith what size speakers are in the rear of your car, 4" or 6 1/2"? The rear speaker cover is really big for a 4" but I would not be surprised if the computer in Circuit City and Best Buy was wrong about the size for the speakers in the rear.

I'm on hold with Crutchfield now to verify the speaker sizes in the rear.
Old 10-19-01, 06:49 AM
sc300jon

In my '92 SC300 the Pioneer rears were 4". But there is enough space for 6.5" replacements.

-Jon

Quick Reply: rear speaker access, how?