SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Installed my EDFC while I was on vacation

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-06, 05:20 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed my EDFC while I was on vacation

I went up to Tennessee to visit with my family. I usually go up there a couple of times a year. While I was there I decided to install my EDFC since the weather was not cooperating with our plans of shooting firearms all day.

I pulled the car into my brother's car port and got to work. All in all it isn't a very hard job. Running the cables isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Taking out the rear seat makes it easier to run the rears. The fronts are pretty straight forward. There are enough holes in the firewall to get the cables through. I ran the fronts along the drivers side and the rears along the passenger side. I decided to mount the controller where the ash tray would be located since I do not smoke. A dremel was needed to mount it in that location. I needed to cut the back half of the panel out and trim a little material off next to the lighter in order for the controller to fit.

It turned out pretty nice. I was a little concerned with the amount of heat in that area. But if I leave the cover open while driving it evacuates the hot air from the area. Here are some pics:

And it appears to be working properly. I can tell the difference from 0(full hard) to 16(full soft). But going from 0-8 and 8-16 are harder to feel the difference. I may set it for 32 levels to see if I can notice any difference.

Have a good one...

Jason

Last edited by BiZ; 10-19-06 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-19-06, 05:21 PM
Durrr
Lead Lap

very nice looking, on a side note, where did you find a 1/4 DIN pocket? i have a nasty hole im trying to figure out how to fill..
Old 10-19-06, 05:22 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

damn looks good

great job
Old 10-19-06, 05:53 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm dumb and I admit it... What is an EDFC? I love it, whatever it is!!
Old 10-19-06, 06:03 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Thats exactly where I wanted my EDFC to go! Now I know how it looks like! Nice job.
Old 10-19-06, 06:29 PM
D3AN
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

you beat me to it...i was gonna do the exact same thing this weekend...least now i know how itd look like...yeah!
Old 10-19-06, 06:31 PM
2JZGTE-SC
Pole Position

yeah i agree, very nice job on the install...

tkafam1 - EDFC = Electronic Dampening Force Controller
Old 10-19-06, 07:20 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

2 JZ, I did a search based on your reply and figured it out. Thanks. I feel edumakated!!! That is a sweet set up!
Old 10-19-06, 08:04 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

Thanks for the compliments.

I would have liked to move the EDFC over to the left a bit more. But that is where the spring for the door is, no spring no automatic door. I had to cut about 3/8" out on the lighter side. I might modify my spare assembly and relocate the lighter socket into the console and mount the EDFC more in the center

Durrr -- The DIN pocket was installed when I had the AVIC Z-1 installed at Car Tunes, a local stereo shop.
Old 10-19-06, 08:27 PM
blaznsc4
Lexus Test Driver

nice job. thats exactly where i put mines expect my edfc is silver.
Old 10-19-06, 08:40 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

So it really isnt that hard to install. Great job I like the LCD display and the EDFC.
Old 10-19-06, 09:27 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JspecSC3
So it really isnt that hard to install. Great job I like the LCD display and the EDFC.

At first it was a little intimidating. But, as with most tasks, it turned out to be more bark than bite. When I owned my ZR-1 Corvette I was scared to death to work on the motor. But now I wouldn't hesitate to start turning wrenches on one. If you have installed a four speaker car stereo you can install the EDFC, it's actually a little easier. Imagine that the motors are the speakers and the controller is the head unit. Run the wires, connect the power and ground, and you are done. The cigarette lighter is actually a great area to splice into. It has a 12v ignition power and a switched light (turn the lights on to make the light turn on). Ground it under the console on the body and connect the constant power to the Hazard switch or another wire of your choosing, just make sure you have a 12v test light or a multimeter. The EDFC kit gives you plenty of excess wire. You could run the wires to the battery if you wanted to.

Last edited by BiZ; 10-20-06 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-20-06, 01:11 PM
SCLexxus
Driver School Candidate

Lookn good, i didnt mount mine there, nice place
Old 10-20-06, 01:29 PM
chanh55
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks good man! I want to order an EDFC unit now. What kind of headunit is that?
Old 10-20-06, 01:55 PM
BiZ
Intermediate

What kind of headunit is that?
The head unit is a Pioneer AVIC-Z1. In the picture is the vehicle dynamics display. It has about 7 settings. The Speedometer in the center is always there. But the two outer displays can be changed to show functions such as voltmeter, side acceleration, angular velocity, direction, and a few others. I am still learning how to use it, but so far I really like the unit.

Quick Reply: Installed my EDFC while I was on vacation