The newb checklist.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-06, 11:02 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts
Default The newb checklist.

Feel free to add to this thread. These are things the new SC owners should do as swiftly as possible to get the maximum enjoyment from their cars.

- SC repair manuals - 2 book set. Don't hesitate and think you'll get by. These are invaluable.

- Replace engine and transmission mounts. I don't care what your mileage is, do it and you'll instantly feel like you have a brand new car. Interior cabin noise and vibration reduced by 95% no matter what it is at right now. Your SC should be nearly silent while driving.

- Replace Control arm bushings. Another "just do it" as soon as possible. Nice tight steering and better control going down the road.

- BFI. A nice way to get a little extra punch.

- Replace shocks if they have over 50k on them and you'll enjoy the car 5 times more.

- Center drive shaft bearing and rubber driveshaft coupling. Have it inspected.

- Alternator and Power Steering pump. Have inspected for any air in the system or leaks and have the alt checked for output under load.

- GROUNDS. Clean ALL main grounds on the car all the way to the frame.

- Headlight and projector refinishing: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=183023

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-21-06 at 11:07 PM.
Old 10-21-06, 11:22 PM
Boostshakalaka
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steering rack bushing, the ones on my white sc and the red sc came out looking like soggy dirty cardboard
Old 10-21-06, 11:26 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Basic Tune-up/Oil Change

Plugs, Wires, Cap 'n' Rotor (non VVti).

Check all vacuum lines and replace if needed. Vac-Hose is cheap!!

Clean that engine!!! (look in the detailing forums) https://www.clublexus.com/forums/automotive-care-and-detailing-122/
A clean engine is a happy engine.
Old 10-22-06, 12:22 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

First rule to receiving your SC is to SURF THROUGH INTELLEXUAL.NET!!!!!
Old 10-22-06, 09:38 AM
ki_soarer
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, for the 300's, diffinately replaced the valve cover gaskets and distributer O-ring if there is more than about 80k on the motor.
Old 10-22-06, 12:12 PM
trangk
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
- SC repair manuals - 2 book set. Don't hesitate and think you'll get by. These are invaluable.
If you don't want to cough up the $200+ for the manuals, you can always get them online in PDF format. http://techinfo.toyota.com offers the full FSM for all Toyota and Lexus cars. It's a subscription site, with the lowest option being $10 for a 1-day, 24-hour access. With a broadband connection you can grab everything you need
Old 10-22-06, 12:36 PM
icec0ld
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trangk
If you don't want to cough up the $200+ for the manuals, you can always get them online in PDF format. http://techinfo.toyota.com offers the full FSM for all Toyota and Lexus cars. It's a subscription site, with the lowest option being $10 for a 1-day, 24-hour access. With a broadband connection you can grab everything you need
You can also get one on ebay in CD version which is saved in pdf format. Got mine for only $8. Do advance search then look for seller id: lexmanualsplus then click on 'items for sale'.
Old 10-22-06, 01:04 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty
Senior Moderator

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ic3c01d
You can also get one on ebay in CD version which is saved in pdf format. Got mine for only $8. Do advance search then look for seller id: lexmanualsplus then click on 'items for sale'.
Yea i got that ebay CD...not even close.

Get the books and be done with it.
Old 10-22-06, 01:33 PM
SCSJ
Lead Lap

give your sc a car wash ahha
Old 10-22-06, 01:36 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

This should seriously be a sticky thread, for new SC owners.
Old 10-22-06, 02:46 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Is your climate control LCD "broken"? There is now a site that sells replacement LCD screens for the climate control, but sodering is required. The face is not sold seperately by the dealership. But the cliamte control will still work regardless of LCD.

CD Changer giving "error"? Pre-97s do not have a memory buffer, so they might skip if going over bumps. If the cd changer displays error even with normal store-bought cds, then the laser probably needs alignment.

What is that slot to the right of my climate control and radio? Its the flipout cupholder. Its pretty much useless if you have it, since it pretty much spills your drinks when cornering.

What's the slot next to my shifter (a/t)? Its the shift override button if the car refuses to move the lever.

[Edit]: Fixed error

Last edited by 0l33l; 10-22-06 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-22-06, 03:38 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light
Forum Moderator

Received 363 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by ic3c01d
J-U-N-K

As far as the data site, the hard manuals are a much better investment.
Old 10-22-06, 03:55 PM
XxSC400xX
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 0l33l
Is your climate control "broken"? If so, you will need to replace the face with a new one, because the LCDs are not available for replacement.
This was true up until about 6 months ago. Replacements LCD screens are available for 92-96 SC's from Lextreme. If you have some soldering skills it's about half the price of a refurbished unit and way cheaper than a new one from the dealership.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-22-06 at 04:45 PM. Reason: removed advertising URL
Old 10-22-06, 04:10 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

nice checklist .this should help the newbies with questions we hear over and over .should make it a sticky
Old 10-22-06, 04:32 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by XxSC400xX
This was true up until about 6 months ago. Replacements LCD screens are available for 92-96 SC's from Lextreme. If you have some soldering skills it's about half the price of a refurbished unit and way cheaper than a new one from the dealership.

You're right. And the LCDs are cheaper on ebay.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 10-22-06 at 04:46 PM. Reason: removed advertising URL in quote

Quick Reply: The newb checklist.