SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Dos and Donts when buying SC300/400

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 12:59 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Dos and Donts when buying SC300/400

I've been looking around for a good example of a well maintained SC400 over the past 1/2 year. I've browsed this forum on a few occasions and also read everything posted on http://www.intellexual.net/
I'm very disappointed to see many mistreated vehicles in my area (san francisco/ bay area california).
I was only able to find two with complete service records, but they priced way above blue book value.
I keep reading about people purchasing them way below blue book, but here in California that is definitely not the case. How do you justify spending so much on a machine that has no records of servicing?
Another question raised over time is the durability of the SC300/400 after say a good 200k miles have been put on it.

In a nutshell, what is a buyer supposed to inspect on a high mileage SC to ensure they're not buying a car that will turn into a mechanic's nightmare? What advantages are there to purchasing vehicles with 120k/130k on the clock versus vehicles with 180k/190k and how do you justify the price paid?

I'm so upset that people do not keep service records :|

Is it best to just have the car inspected by a Lexus dealer before purchase (this is always at the buyer's cost of course) and are mechanics really able to tell the condition of the car by simply inspecting it?
Are there any known problems lurking around on high mileage vehicles apart from suspension bushings, struts, loose wire connections and blacking out dash and HVAC display?

Pardon, I have way too many questions.
Old 10-26-06, 02:49 PM
jefthim
Intermediate

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts
Default My 2 Cents

I understand your frustration in looking for a used car. I understand your desire to make the best choice possible, but to some degree it comes down to luck. I personally bought my 92 SC from the original owner below NADA book value. The owner did NOT have service records, but the car looked so well taken care of that I had to bite. The engine compartment was clean, oil was clean, and transmission fluid looked good. The guy was filthy rich and appeared to mechanically ignorant, but had taken pride in taking care of his cars.

I would look for a wealthy- well to do owner that has owned the car for several years. I would get the VIN number and get a CARFAX report and I would also call the dealership and give them the VIN and have them check their database for service records. As far as having the car looked over by the dealership…they will do a basic inspection, but I would suggest you do it yourself for peace of mind. You don’t have to be mechanically inclined to spot tears in rubber boots, detect leaks, or see that there has been a leak and grime, oil, and dirt has built up underneath the car. Other than that they check for break pad wear, tire wear, and exhaust leaks. If a car has been well maintained then it should be apparent in the condition of the body of the car (IE: chips,scraches,dints) paint, leather condition and clean under the hood.

It is very frustrating to deal with people that ask for more than what the car is worth, but it doesn’t hurt to counter offer NADA values. There is a good chance the seller has no idea how much the car is actually worth. If there are full service records then I think I would pay up to NADA Avg Retail Value, but if there isn’t but the car appears to be in good condition I would shoot for wholesale/trade-in value. I would remind the buyer that he would only get X amount of dollars if he traded it in.

Good Luck with your search!
Old 10-26-06, 03:38 PM
revlis240
Driver

Condition Value

Excellent
$7,005
(Selected)

Good
$6,390

Those are the KBB values for the SC400 i bought last year for $5500 hahaha

anyway, you dont need service records because if the car was serviced at the lexus dealer, then everything is on the computer. i bought my car from an old man who serviced at the dealer EVERY 3k miles and i got a 2 page report from the service dept at the dealer listing everything that had been done...

Abe
Old 10-26-06, 06:47 PM
bspecmr2
Driver School Candidate

Well, there's a particular one I'm looking at:

Ride has 180k miles on it and it has not been serviced at lexus. they have hardly any information on that car. Last owner has replaced a starter at 160k. Oil changes were done by the family. No papertrail for any service ever and Lexus dealer does not have anything from the last 10 years either. Comes up with clean carfax report and it was just recently smogged as well. I'm not sure how much it's worth, given the mileage and absence of records. Looks clean inside and out, I have yet to inspect it in person, but HVAC lcd is also gone (common).
Old 10-26-06, 08:50 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bspecmr2
I've been looking around for a good example of a well maintained SC400 over the past 1/2 year. I've browsed this forum on a few occasions and also read everything posted on http://www.intellexual.net/
I'm very disappointed to see many mistreated vehicles in my area (san francisco/ bay area california).
I was only able to find two with complete service records, but they priced way above blue book value.
I keep reading about people purchasing them way below blue book, but here in California that is definitely not the case. How do you justify spending so much on a machine that has no records of servicing?
Another question raised over time is the durability of the SC300/400 after say a good 200k miles have been put on it.

In a nutshell, what is a buyer supposed to inspect on a high mileage SC to ensure they're not buying a car that will turn into a mechanic's nightmare? What advantages are there to purchasing vehicles with 120k/130k on the clock versus vehicles with 180k/190k and how do you justify the price paid?

I'm so upset that people do not keep service records :|

Is it best to just have the car inspected by a Lexus dealer before purchase (this is always at the buyer's cost of course) and are mechanics really able to tell the condition of the car by simply inspecting it?
Are there any known problems lurking around on high mileage vehicles apart from suspension bushings, struts, loose wire connections and blacking out dash and HVAC display?

Pardon, I have way too many questions.
Hi, I had the same experience as you are, just be patient, take your time in finding the right SC. Trust me, there are deals out there. You just have to find the right owner who's eager to sell the car at below Kelly Blue Book Trade In Value.

Patience and persistence will pay off.

Last edited by rsantiago; 10-26-06 at 08:54 PM.
Old 10-26-06, 09:24 PM
Carbon J
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well living in the Bay Area myself, as stated before be patience and you'll find a great SC. The mileage you stated is too high for me, just keep looking records are always in the dealer computer base. You should be looking at years 97-2000. Any used car will need some type of work, just use the search on what to look for as far as problems. I own a 93 that I bought with 70K in 2001 with a extended warranty, I now have 115K that only had the normal problems that an SC has, power steering pump, ac compressor, door lock mech. Also got the 90k service @ 100K miles runs and looks great.
Old 10-27-06, 05:41 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jefthim
I understand your frustration in looking for a used car. I understand your desire to make the best choice possible, but to some degree it comes down to luck. I personally bought my 92 SC from the original owner below NADA book value. The owner did NOT have service records, but the car looked so well taken care of that I had to bite. The engine compartment was clean, oil was clean, and transmission fluid looked good. The guy was filthy rich and appeared to mechanically ignorant, but had taken pride in taking care of his cars.

I would look for a wealthy- well to do owner that has owned the car for several years. I would get the VIN number and get a CARFAX report and I would also call the dealership and give them the VIN and have them check their database for service records. As far as having the car looked over by the dealership…they will do a basic inspection, but I would suggest you do it yourself for peace of mind. You don’t have to be mechanically inclined to spot tears in rubber boots, detect leaks, or see that there has been a leak and grime, oil, and dirt has built up underneath the car. Other than that they check for break pad wear, tire wear, and exhaust leaks. If a car has been well maintained then it should be apparent in the condition of the body of the car (IE: chips,scraches,dints) paint, leather condition and clean under the hood.

It is very frustrating to deal with people that ask for more than what the car is worth, but it doesn’t hurt to counter offer NADA values. There is a good chance the seller has no idea how much the car is actually worth. If there are full service records then I think I would pay up to NADA Avg Retail Value, but if there isn’t but the car appears to be in good condition I would shoot for wholesale/trade-in value. I would remind the buyer that he would only get X amount of dollars if he traded it in.

Good Luck with your search!
its also important if you're willing to stay with the car despite the possible problems. r you willing to pay 5000 for a 200k car? I wouldnt without a service record. At first i was going to buy a 92 with 120k for 5000 from a used car lot in the middle of a big city. THe place was really run down and the shop was run by a pretty shady guy. I ended up going with a 97 with 140k and for 9500. He was a wealthy guy as well, but he knew his lexuses like the back of his hand(the SC was his 5th car)he also had a bulging folder full of services performed and a full carfax record to boot. I used the same NADA tactics by providing him with a couple of quotes between me and a Lexus dealership trade in. I only got the guy to go 500 bleow his asking price, but in the end its all worth it knowing that the car is in really good working condition rather than a good looking car with some holes in the records and the possibility of problems down the road. my 2cts
Old 10-27-06, 05:48 AM
guardrail
Driver School Candidate

I don't mean to jack your thread but I've got about the same question. I'm looking at a 94 SC400 right now and wanted to know is there anything in particular I should keep an eye out for? The car has just under 75k and is a second owner with most of the maintenance, the timing belts were done at 71k. The interior seems to be in really good condition, the dash/ac has no lighting out. The body has a few dents here and there and the rear bumper has some fading. But is there anything specific to these cars that I should watch for?
Old 10-27-06, 07:33 AM
fatboyq
Rookie

I just got my SC400 2 days ago, and it was the first one I looked at. It was very clean no obvious leaks or pings, knocking etc. Guy did all the work him self no records at all. Took it for a spin just make sure it shifts fine, and accelerates with no hiccups. Idles is nice and smooth, no smoking blowing from the rear pipes. Push down on the suspension listen for creaking noises. Check cv boots, tie rods etc. make sure all the wipers, siganls, ac, heat, seat, windows, sunroof, etc all work fine.

then come back and make a offer don't lowball the guy. I hate lowballers and I have sent many packing without a chance to counter. Once I get lowballed I say thanks Im done with you and go inside the house they usually say hey lets talk however I never come back out. If asking 6500 lowest offer should be 6k.
Old 10-29-06, 12:24 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got a 92 sc300 5spd that i found on here it has high miles but im a tech so wasnt to worried about that replaced the steering rack bushings with some off ebay changed most of the fluids drive it every day and love it