SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGTE SC300 vs. MK4 Supra TT, Pros & Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 04:48 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SCoupe

Streetracer,

Let me say that the last comment indicates to me that you don't know what you are talking about, though you are entitled to you opinion, its a wrong one not shared by many on this forum. Not only do you make it sound like you lack the money to own the Supra, you probably lack the common sense to know how to drive or modify one properly either. The Supra is a legend and will easily fetch the price you think is too high.

A reality check about your plans and budget from one who has been there. This is not so much for you as it is for others who might think you know what you are talking about. I assure you that a simplistic approach to the project has you underestimating the money it will take to put this together.

It is pointless to itemize the parts you need, for example, but I'll give a few specifics, the W154 needs numerous parts other than just the tranny, a few biggies you'll need are a new flywheel, bell housing, mod the shifter, half shaft, different master cylinder closer to $1500-2000 on the tranny easily. Add a high performance clutch. A wiring harness is $700 -800, a USDM 2j is $3000 if you are lucky. Have you priced intercooler piping, how about electronics, like Apexi S-AFCII, Greddy EBC, turbo timer, wideband o2 sensors. Might you want to freshen up the engine, like all the oil seals, valve stems seals, all gaskets, you'd replace the water pump, upgrade the fuel pump, ARP head studs, probably should replace the timing belt and all the other rubber hoses and belts. You need a better fuel pump, do you know about the 12v mod, fuel dampener bypass. Oh yeah, how about a real radiator, like Koyo or above to handle the power and heat. Forgot about the SC's open rear differential didn't you? Nothing like sending 450-650 whp to the inside wheel only in a corner. Check into a finding a Supra n/a LSD. Once you get your guided missile up to 145 mph you might come to the horrifying realization that oem SC300 brakes are hopeless outmatched by the rest of the car. Forgot to mention that you need Supra TT compatible wheels to clear those brakes. You're going to want Supra Sway bars or better and need Supra subframe mounts, struts and springs needed also.

No labor in any of those numbers. oh, btw, have you checked into the going rate for a dyno and a qualified tuner to operate it and get the most from your project car?

No, the Supra TT is not overpriced for the benchmark that it set. It is to this day considered the most desireable Sports Compact ever sold in the world. The modded Supra can absolutely bury some very expensive and powerful super cars and will continue to until they start putting down 550 to 900 whp to be in a Supra's company. It is a timeless legend that has not been surpassed. Thank god our SC300 share its platform and can bolt on most of its parts. Yes, I like the SC for its creature comforts and finish, it is superior to the Supra in that respect.
that pretty much sums it up
Old 10-27-06, 06:10 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gotta love those supras if it wasent for them we will have v8 in our cars look at the sc430's no j's for them
Old 10-27-06, 06:44 AM
MadMaxxNA
Driver

Originally Posted by streetracr
Thanks for your input, but buying a MKIV is just out of the question, one because I do not have $25k and the other is that its just stupid to pay that much money for 93-94 model car with 80k miles on it. Especially when I can buy an SC300 for 6k, spend 6k on the swap ( 2JZGTE motor, 1JZ tranny, wiring harness, igniter, etc etc) and basically for $12k I can have a 2JZ powered SC with the same horsepower making potential.
You're right, the SC probably isnt that much heavier and to me doesnt look much longer or bigger, the Supra is one long & heavy car too. Also, I agree that with a nice suspension, I probably wouldnt notice too much handling difference, as in I drag race alot more anything and never road race or autocross.

If I had a big bankroll, I would go buy a Supra, or in fact more than one and store them because obviously they seem to be appreciating over time if they are low mileage and clean ( I am sorry but that car is seriously overrated & overpriced)
I highly doubt you'll do it for 12, but more power to ya if you do. You may be rockin' a stock twin 2JZ JDM motor by the time it's all said and done for about that price. If you're talking in the 600hp range, might as well throw those numbers out the window.

SC300 is about 3700lbs w/o driver, vs ~3400 (+/-) for a supra. That is without the added weight of the turbo on the lexus, so figure about a 90lb increase by the time you add brakes and the GTE components. There is a TON of handling difference between the supra and the SC300. Not so much against the electronic suspension equiped soarer...but we didn't get those, so who cares. For daily use, it will still drive like a lexus.

If you want to build a turbo SC300, go for it. Just don't get the expectations set that it is somehow a replacement for a mkiv. They are 2 totally different animals.
Old 10-27-06, 08:19 AM
hemogoblin
Lexus Test Driver

Let me tell you... Im in the middle of a 2JZGTE USDM swap, with basically all the major parts of a V160 swap ($1500 rear end included) and it is not pretty. When all is said and done, I basically would have spent enough to get a MKIV. I pretty much just wanted to get a new motor, but ended up getting sucked into having this crazy frame of mind and buying good parts without cutting any corners. Needless to say, my car isnt done yet so I cant totally tell you its worth it (im sure it is) but as of right now, its a serious headache.
Old 10-27-06, 08:57 AM
bmsport
Lead Lap

I've pretty much got everything a mkiv has in my SC + about $12k in aftermarket mods, i've turned down trade offers for mkivs to keep it. True the mkiv is more of a sports car, and is a supercar imho, but i still prefer the SC for my purposes. You can definitly cheap out with a SC though, $3k for the car, $3k for the engine with everything else you could easily stay under $10k with a stock twin auto, maybe even w58 if you shop around, but it all boils down to which car you like better asthetically if your gonna dump $20k+ in. Basically, you gotta pay to play.
Old 10-27-06, 09:40 AM
WDoherty
Pole Position

i agree on the handling, i think not only the weight difference, but the proportions really throw things off. The longer wheelbase makes my sc400 feel like i'm driving am ext cab truck in 90 degree turns.
Old 10-27-06, 09:42 AM
WDoherty
Pole Position

if you want to save money, go na-t, not a gte swap. i'd say for about 4k (not including labor and piecing things together yourself) you can make about 430rwhp range. of course that does not cover rear end, brakes, suspension, or wheels.
Old 10-27-06, 03:39 PM
Tri0 #3
Rookie

I love my sc300. And soon will due the 2jz swap but considering the supra, I would pick the FD over the supra any day of the week. Id rather have a better handling car then a fast one. Faster on the straight away proves nothing just that the car is fast and your wallet is big not the driver. Its all about autocross!!! =D
Old 10-27-06, 03:50 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tri0 #3
I love my sc300. And soon will due the 2jz swap but considering the supra, I would pick the FD over the supra any day of the week. Id rather have a better handling car then a fast one. Faster on the straight away proves nothing just that the car is fast and your wallet is big not the driver. Its all about autocross!!! =D
then why would you do the 2jz swap? make your car handle better and keep it slow if its "all about the autocross."

speaking of this....I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY THIS!!!

drag racing is stupid, theres no talent involved, all you do is go sraight, blah blah blah, im an ignorant *****...

Seriously, GROW UP! I love drag racing/street racing/autocross/circuit racing and so on. But honestly every time i get behind the wheel to autocross/circuit race I dont feel comfortable and my head starts to spin (motion sickness). The point is...some people just arent made to race autocross; just like some people arent made to drag race. Next time, keep it to yourself.
Old 10-27-06, 04:14 PM
Tri0 #3
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
then why would you do the 2jz swap? make your car handle better and keep it slow if its "all about the autocross."

speaking of this....I HATE IT WHEN PEOPLE SAY THIS!!!

drag racing is stupid, theres no talent involved, all you do is go sraight, blah blah blah, im an ignorant *****...

Seriously, GROW UP! I love drag racing/street racing/autocross/circuit racing and so on. But honestly every time i get behind the wheel to autocross/circuit race I dont feel comfortable and my head starts to spin (motion sickness). The point is...some people just arent made to race autocross; just like some people arent made to drag race. Next time, keep it to yourself.
lol naw I think everybody is made to drag race. I was just making a comment thats all. I dont need to keep anything to myself. Grow up?!?!? I didnt offend nobody, maybe you should keep your comments to yourself. And the reason im gettin a 2jz is because I have other plans with this car. Whats it to you. If you can't autocross and only drag race then the more power to you, no wait less.

Last edited by Tri0 #3; 10-27-06 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I missed something
Old 10-27-06, 04:36 PM
streetracr
Rookie

Originally Posted by SCoupe

Streetracer,

Let me say that the last comment indicates to me that you don't know what you are talking about, though you are entitled to you opinion, its a wrong one not shared by many on this forum. Not only do you make it sound like you lack the money to own the Supra, you probably lack the common sense to know how to drive or modify one properly either. Thank you for making that wonderful assumption.

The Supra is a legend and will easily fetch the price you think is too high. To the right buyer yes that is true, a car or any item in some cases is worth whatever someone will pay to have it.

A reality check about your plans and budget from one who has been there. This is not so much for you as it is for others who might think you know what you are talking about. I assure you that a simplistic approach to the project has you underestimating the money it will take to put this together.

It is pointless to itemize the parts you need, for example, but I'll give a few specifics, the R154 needs numerous parts other than just the tranny, a few biggies you'll need are a new flywheel, bell housing, mod the shifter, half shaft, different master cylinder closer to $1500-2000 on the tranny easily. Add a high performance clutch. A wiring harness is $700 -800, a USDM 2j is $3000 if you are lucky. Have you priced intercooler piping, how about electronics, like Apexi S-AFCII, Greddy EBC, turbo timer, wideband o2 sensors. Might you want to freshen up the engine, like all the oil seals, valve stems seals, all gaskets, you'd replace the water pump, upgrade the fuel pump, ARP head studs, probably should replace the timing belt and all the other rubber hoses and belts. You need a better fuel pump, do you know about the 12v mod, fuel dampener bypass. Oh yeah, how about a real radiator, like Koyo or above to handle the power and heat. Forgot about the SC's open rear differential didn't you? Nothing like sending 450-650 whp to the inside wheel only in a corner. Check into a finding a Supra n/a LSD. Once you get your guided missile up to 145 mph you might come to the horrifying realization that oem SC300 brakes are hopeless outmatched by the rest of the car. Forgot to mention that you need Supra TT compatible wheels to clear upgraded brakes. You're going to want Supra Sway bars or better and need Supra subframe mounts, struts and springs needed also.
Well this is why I asked the question to see if some of the research I hade done was correct. Yes I have found SC's for 5-6k, and yes a shop in GA told me I could get a 2JZ swap in for around 6k. I know it doesnt include extras like a clutch, fuel pump, radiator, t.belt, seals, etc. That was just a price with motor, tranny, bell housing, custom driveshaft, all wiring, fmic, pipes, dp, tuned and running. I know there are always extras that arise when doing a large project, one of those while I'm in there kinda things. I know, I have built cars from scratch and the ground up.......maybe not a Supra or SC, but other cars. All to say is that I was just asking questions to see what I was getting myself into before diving headfirst into this project.

No labor in any of those numbers. oh, btw, have you checked into the going rate for a dyno and a qualified tuner to operate it and get the most from your project car?

No, the Supra TT is not overpriced for the benchmark that it set. It is to this day considered the most desireable Sports Compact ever sold in the world. The modded Supra can absolutely bury some very expensive and powerful super cars and will continue to until they start putting down 550 to 900 whp to be in a Supra's company. It is a timeless legend that has not been surpassed. Thank god our SC300 share its platform and can bolt on most of its parts. Yes, I like the SC for its creature comforts and finish, it is superior to the Supra in that respect.
I am sure the Supra can take down high hp super cars and thats why the motor thats in it has earned its reputation that it has and thats why I want it.
Maybe I shouldnt get one in the sense that I wouldnt take the car, meaning a Supra to its full potential by making it a 800rwhp monster.
Old 10-28-06, 08:42 AM
SpinAll4
Former Sponsor - Cancelled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to mention that the Lexus insurance is very high. My SC400 is the slowest car i've had, yet I pay more for insurance on it than anything else I've ever had.

On top of that, OEM Lexus parts are VERY expensive. They don't break often, but when they do its not cheap to fix with OEM.
Old 10-29-06, 12:12 PM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

preach on brother
Old 10-29-06, 01:44 PM
Dew23
Lexus Champion

If you can afford the swap go for it i have porshe owners who like my car love the power .
Old 10-29-06, 01:47 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SpinAll4
Not to mention that the Lexus insurance is very high. My SC400 is the slowest car i've had, yet I pay more for insurance on it than anything else I've ever had.
really? my SC300 insurance is cheaper than the honda i used to have.

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE SC300 vs. MK4 Supra TT, Pros & Cons?