SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

2JZGTE SC300 vs. MK4 Supra TT, Pros & Cons?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-06, 01:44 PM
streetracr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2JZGTE SC300 vs. MK4 Supra TT, Pros & Cons?

Ok guys, I am in the process of selling my MR2 and I am moving on to another project and I have been doing alot of READING, SEARCHING & TONS OF RESEARCH on the 2JZGTE swap into the SC300. The main reason is that I am not paying $25k for a decent mileage 6 spd Supra, because I am not buying an automatic. So it looks like I can build an SC300 for about half that with a manual transmission (a 1JZ 5 speed, not a 2JZ 6 speed). My questions are, in the end this thing will have the power potential and reliability of the Supra tt which is what I am after, but would reselling it be a nightmare? And I know it will make the power, but if I add suspension to the SC, will it still handle like a big heavy car or can it be made to handle and feel like a Supra tt??
Anyone have any comments, suggestions, etc?
Old 10-26-06, 01:55 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

Im confused by your questions...are you trying to weigh the differences between a Supra TT and a 1JZ 5 spd SC?
Old 10-26-06, 02:05 PM
streetracr
Rookie

Well I was just wanting to know if a 2JZGTE powered SC300 with a manual tranny would be hard to re-sell as opposed to the Supra? And how does a SC300 handle with aftermarket suspension in relation to a Supra with suspension, is it anywhere close? The point of the 2JZ swap is to get the same hp, mod potential, etc as the supra tt. So I was wanting to know if you can get supra like performance from the other areas of the car, as far as handling, braking, and overall feel?
Old 10-26-06, 02:08 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I would go for the MKIV if you want the total package handling etc. What's appealing about the SC is the sleeper status once you do the swap.
Old 10-26-06, 02:10 PM
morris
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you will be hard pressed to recover your investement in a SC300 where as with a supra you stand a pretty good chance of making your money or a good portion of it back when you sell it
Old 10-26-06, 02:14 PM
PsiQo1
Lead Lap

why would you even want to sell it?..
Old 10-26-06, 02:21 PM
streetracr
Rookie

Well I really thought an SC could be transformed to feel alot like a Supra in the sense of horsepower, braking and driver feel.......for example, I really like the way an IS300 feels, not too rough, but handles really well. If a nice suspension set-up and wheel tire combo would produce similar performance, I would be satisfied.
Old 10-26-06, 02:21 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

the resale value of a swapped sc depends on how much they buyer is willing to pay. The quality of workmanship plays a BIG part in trying to sell a modified car. Realisticly, you would probably break even with a swapped 2JZ sc300. I know for a fact there have been a couple nicely done 2jz-gte 6 spd sc300s that have sold for much less than were put into the car. and when i say much less, i mean thousands of dollars.

As for the handling, the sc really isnt that much heavier than the supra, maybe a couple hundred lbs. the SC has a longer wheel base obviously and has a higher center of gravity. But in everyday street driving how much suspension work would you really need? In my opinion, an sc with coilovers/springs would satisfy you just as much as a stock suspension supra in regards to handling.

Honestly, I would just go for the MKIV if you are concerned with resale value and performance. You can sell it 10 yrs from now for what you can buy it for today and you get what you want the first time around.
Old 10-26-06, 02:56 PM
streetracr
Rookie

Thanks for your input, but buying a MKIV is just out of the question, one because I do not have $25k and the other is that its just stupid to pay that much money for 93-94 model car with 80k miles on it. Especially when I can buy an SC300 for 6k, spend 6k on the swap ( 2JZGTE motor, 1JZ tranny, wiring harness, igniter, etc etc) and basically for $12k I can have a 2JZ powered SC with the same horsepower making potential.
You're right, the SC probably isnt that much heavier and to me doesnt look much longer or bigger, the Supra is one long & heavy car too. Also, I agree that with a nice suspension, I probably wouldnt notice too much handling difference, as in I drag race alot more anything and never road race or autocross.

If I had a big bankroll, I would go buy a Supra, or in fact more than one and store them because obviously they seem to be appreciating over time if they are low mileage and clean ( I am sorry but that car is seriously overrated & overpriced)
Old 10-26-06, 03:06 PM
Just4show
Owes CL $5,000

If you try to build up a car and sell it back neither SC or Supra is the way to go because you won't get all the money back. Power wise on bought car depend on what you do. SC with 2JZ swap can be as fast as supra too depend on how deep it your pocket. If you just want SC turbo you can go 1jz or Na-t less trouble swapping engine
Old 10-26-06, 03:09 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I don't think it's stupid to pay that money for a 93-94 mkiv that's just the way it is. I know people that paid that and more did minimum mods and sold it later and made money. Of course you can build a SC with the same potential for cheaper. People get the mkiv because they want it, if they were thinking about costs they would buy a SC or NA and do the TT swap.
Old 10-26-06, 03:55 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

I dont think the MKIV is overpriced at all! And it is definately NOT overrated!
Old 10-26-06, 09:55 PM
Hil
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusFTW
I dont think the MKIV is overpriced at all! And it is definately NOT overrated!
i concur. i love them supras i would buy one if only i had the money
Old 10-26-06, 11:57 PM
SCoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by streetracr
....can buy an SC300 for 6k, spend 6k on the swap ( 2JZGTE motor, 1JZ tranny, wiring harness, igniter, etc etc) and basically for $12k I can have a 2JZ powered SC with the same horsepower making potential.
( I am sorry but that car is seriously overrated & overpriced)

Streetracer,

Let me say that the last comment indicates to me that you don't know what you are talking about, though you are entitled to you opinion, its a wrong one not shared by many on this forum. Not only do you make it sound like you lack the money to own the Supra, you probably lack the common sense to know how to drive or modify one properly either. The Supra is a legend and will easily fetch the price you think is too high.

A reality check about your plans and budget from one who has been there. This is not so much for you as it is for others who might think you know what you are talking about. I assure you that a simplistic approach to the project has you underestimating the money it will take to put this together.

It is pointless to itemize the parts you need, for example, but I'll give a few specifics, the R154 needs numerous parts other than just the tranny, a few biggies you'll need are a new flywheel, bell housing, mod the shifter, half shaft, different master cylinder closer to $1500-2000 on the tranny easily. Add a high performance clutch. A wiring harness is $700 -800, a USDM 2j is $3000 if you are lucky. Have you priced intercooler piping, how about electronics, like Apexi S-AFCII, Greddy EBC, turbo timer, wideband o2 sensors. Might you want to freshen up the engine, like all the oil seals, valve stems seals, all gaskets, you'd replace the water pump, upgrade the fuel pump, ARP head studs, probably should replace the timing belt and all the other rubber hoses and belts. You need a better fuel pump, do you know about the 12v mod, fuel dampener bypass. Oh yeah, how about a real radiator, like Koyo or above to handle the power and heat. Forgot about the SC's open rear differential didn't you? Nothing like sending 450-650 whp to the inside wheel only in a corner. Check into a finding a Supra n/a LSD. Once you get your guided missile up to 145 mph you might come to the horrifying realization that oem SC300 brakes are hopeless outmatched by the rest of the car. Forgot to mention that you need Supra TT compatible wheels to clear upgraded brakes. You're going to want Supra Sway bars or better and need Supra subframe mounts, struts and springs needed also.

No labor in any of those numbers. oh, btw, have you checked into the going rate for a dyno and a qualified tuner to operate it and get the most from your project car?

No, the Supra TT is not overpriced for the benchmark that it set. It is to this day considered the most desireable Sports Compact ever sold in the world. The modded Supra can absolutely bury some very expensive and powerful super cars and will continue to until they start putting down 550 to 900 whp to be in a Supra's company. It is a timeless legend that has not been surpassed. Thank god our SC300 share its platform and can bolt on most of its parts. Yes, I like the SC for its creature comforts and finish, it is superior to the Supra in that respect.

Last edited by SCoupe; 10-27-06 at 07:20 AM. Reason: It was midnight
Old 10-27-06, 04:46 AM
Philly#1 Lex
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCoupe

Streetracer,

Let me say that the last comment indicates to me that you don't know what you are talking about, though you are entitled to you opinion, its a wrong one not shared by many on this forum. Not only do you make it sound like you lack the money to own the Supra, you probably lack the common sense to know how to drive or modify one properly either. The Supra is a legend and will easily fetch the price you think is too high.

A reality check about your plans and budget from one who has been there. This is not so much for you as it is for others who might think you know what you are talking about. I assure you that a simplistic approach to the project has you underestimating the money it will take to put this together.

It is pointless to itemize the parts you need, for example, but I'll give a few specifics, the W154 needs numerous parts other than just the tranny, a few biggies you'll need are a new flywheel, bell housing, mod the shifter, half shaft, different master cylinder closer to $1500-2000 on the tranny easily. Add a high performance clutch. A wiring harness is $700 -800, a USDM 2j is $3000 if you are lucky. Have you priced intercooler piping, how about electronics, like Apexi S-AFCII, Greddy EBC, turbo timer, wideband o2 sensors. Might you want to freshen up the engine, like all the oil seals, valve stems seals, all gaskets, you'd replace the water pump, upgrade the fuel pump, ARP head studs, probably should replace the timing belt and all the other rubber hoses and belts. You need a better fuel pump, do you know about the 12v mod, fuel dampener bypass. Oh yeah, how about a real radiator, like Koyo or above to handle the power and heat. Forgot about the SC's open rear differential didn't you? Nothing like sending 450-650 whp to the inside wheel only in a corner. Check into a finding a Supra n/a LSD. Once you get your guided missile up to 145 mph you might come to the horrifying realization that oem SC300 brakes are hopeless outmatched by the rest of the car. Forgot to mention that you need Supra TT compatible wheels to clear those brakes. You're going to want Supra Sway bars or better and need Supra subframe mounts, struts and springs needed also.

No labor in any of those numbers. oh, btw, have you checked into the going rate for a dyno and a qualified tuner to operate it and get the most from your project car?

No, the Supra TT is not overpriced for the benchmark that it set. It is to this day considered the most desireable Sports Compact ever sold in the world. The modded Supra can absolutely bury some very expensive and powerful super cars and will continue to until they start putting down 550 to 900 whp to be in a Supra's company. It is a timeless legend that has not been surpassed. Thank god our SC300 share its platform and can bolt on most of its parts. Yes, I like the SC for its creature comforts and finish, it is superior to the Supra in that respect.
Wow

Quick Reply: 2JZGTE SC300 vs. MK4 Supra TT, Pros & Cons?