SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mileage Consensus

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-01, 01:43 PM
jaycee26
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in addition to my posting ...

I recently found out through testing that my alarm doesn't work either.

According to the owners manual, opening the drivers window, exiting the vehicle, locking the car using the key fob and then opening the drivers door from the inside via the open window will set off the alarm.
I tried it and it didn't work ... so I guess I may have to go after market too since these SC's seem to be a hot item, especially amoungst those who like to turbo kit them out. Not that I am insinuating that all turbo freaks would do whatever it takes to get their hands on one, but there are elements out there I am sure who would be enticed to drive off in my car, albeit the illegal way.

As a thought, since the alarm does not work, does this mean the whole vehicle theft deterrent system is failing? I.E. the part which prevents the engine from being hotwired too.

J.
Old 10-24-01, 06:34 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Our SC

Originally posted by markmaz

My mechanic says I should change the oil 3 times after only
1,000 miles since today's oil has good detergents in them
which should naturally clean out any build up which might be
found on a car with 130k.

Going on 45 and still crazy after all these years. MarkMaz in
Atlanta.
I don't understand what you say about change oil 3 times after only 1,000 miles...

Change oil 3 times at 1000 miles interval to clean the engine? Why?

How much did you pay for it with all those problems?
Old 10-24-01, 09:03 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

VQT:
Just bought the ECU from Carson Toyota less than $200. Don't have time to change it yet. I'll let you know how it goes.
yea let me know how it goes, I'm thinking to change myself but not sure how to do it. Before I'm getting ECU, I wanna make myself clear.
Old 10-24-01, 11:11 PM
black sc
Pole Position

According to the owners manual, opening the drivers window, exiting the vehicle, locking the car using the key fob and then opening the drivers door from the inside via the open window will set off the alarm.
I tried it and it didn't work ... so I guess I may have to go after market too since these SC's seem to be a hot item

When you guys test your factory system. Do you guys open it right away? Give it a minute by, timing it and then replicating the same test. Majority of alarms need some time to elapse before, it acativates even aftermarket alarms. Try it before you spend money fixing something that may not even be broken just, trying to help
Old 10-25-01, 10:04 AM
jaycee26
Driver School Candidate

Thanks <black sc>, I will give that a shot and post the results. I hope you are right ... save be a bit of cash.
Old 10-27-01, 02:11 PM
James
Driver School Candidate

Hi Guys,
I have a '92 SC400 and live in Canada. It has the equivalent of about 66,000 miles and has had the following problems in its entire history.
-Early on in its life with its first owner, the power tilt motor on the steering wheel fried.
-Since I've had it, the power mirrors didn't work. It was the ECU and its accessible by removing the lower dash cover on the drivers side. Buy the new one first so you recognize it when do your contorsion to find it. It looks like a tin box the size of a deck of cards.
-The only thing that died was my right rear shock and it did this during some very cold weather last winter.
-I have been a bit disappointed with the "on-again/off-again" rattles/sqeaks in the dash and sometimes door panel. They seem to be at their worst when its below freezing.

Other than that, she looks and runs like when she left the showroom in 1992.

James
Old 10-27-01, 05:27 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

James, Did you fix your side power mirror yourself? how much was ECU? my dealer told me something like $500-$1000(us)??
was it easy to fix it?
thanks
Old 10-28-01, 08:36 PM
James
Driver School Candidate

Hi Taka,
The ECU was $192 Canadian which is only $135 USD but I'd expect your dealer pricing to be about $200 too. I didn't replace it myself but I should have. The mechanic at our only Toyota/Lexus dealership (small market) decided to take my entire dash apart from the top down to get to the ECU. After they told me how difficult it was and that the regular Lexus mechanic was on vacation, I decided to look at my 3" thick SC400 Service Manual. The proper procedure is as in my last reply which is to take the bottom dash cover off on the driver's side and undo a couple of bolts and plugs! It turns out I now have some extremely irritating dash rattles that are likely a result of having taken the top portion of the dash off. Too bad he didn't refer to the Service Manual before attempting the change-out.

Cheers,
James
Old 10-28-01, 10:00 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for reply, James.
I wasn't paying attention to my dealer but when I asked him, he told me it costs something around $500?? power mirror is not really big issue so I might just leave it for now.
Old 10-29-01, 11:54 AM
Andymi
Driver School Candidate

When testing the alarm, you have to wait a minute or so before unlocking the door through the open window.
Old 10-29-01, 10:53 PM
smooth8
Driver

Default 151k miles

I have 151k on the transmission and I just replaced everything under the hood. It didn't need much other than a alternator because the power steering pump leaked on it.
Also my hydraulic fan pump went bad and had to rebuild it.
I just replaced practically everything under the hood for safety.
You can get dealer parts at www.lexussc400.com for less than the dealer shipped to your door.

The sc400 is a strong car that can last over 300k no problema
Old 06-07-07, 07:42 PM
SCpwner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by VQT
I just bought a Green 93 SC400 with 142, the last owner has timing belt change at 120K.
Same thing except mine is black and i bought it last friday and so far it runs great with no problems and the best part is that there was only 1 owner before me
Old 06-07-07, 08:35 PM
laxdude362
Lexus Test Driver

You just brought back a 6 year old thread.
Old 06-07-07, 08:56 PM
atxishome
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Lol, at least someone's using the search button =0)

~Joe
Old 06-07-07, 08:57 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SCpwner
Same thing except mine is black and i bought it last friday and so far it runs great with no problems and the best part is that there was only 1 owner before me
How much did you pay for it? Is it a 93?

Quick Reply: Mileage Consensus