SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Boss giving away 1992 SC300 - 5 Speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-06, 08:08 AM
wayne
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JUST IS
Yea Donate to Wayne! Well thats if your not going to take it.
Thanks Mario.
Old 10-29-06, 08:22 AM
Blu92SC4
Rookie

Originally Posted by JUST IS
Yea Donate to Wayne! Well thats if your not going to take it.
that's a great idea
Old 10-29-06, 03:16 PM
dinhNER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gimmmee!!!!!
Old 10-29-06, 09:32 PM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

I told my boss I'll be taking the car
Old 10-29-06, 09:41 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Well, I refrained from putting my two cents in so I could smoke over the numbers, but here's what I'd do.....

I'd obviously take the car no matter what.

In terms of restoring it, I would not. It's not a smart investment. I'd do whatever needs to be done to make it drivable and drive it until the wheels fall off of it.

If you really want to make this a golden opportunity, find a decent Sc in good shape that you are interested in and can get for a reasonable price. Buy the Sc and use this one as a parts car.

These Sc's are built like a tank, but age wins over everything. If you try and keep up with the jones's of these cars you'll end up with 4 times what you can sell it for invested into it.

Since they last forever, keep all the rubber in, on, and around, replaced and just drive it. It'll be a great car.

When you finally have as much invested as you can sell it for, toss it and break even.
Old 10-29-06, 09:47 PM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Well, I refrained from putting my two cents in so I could smoke over the numbers, but here's what I'd do.....

I'd obviously take the car no matter what.

In terms of restoring it, I would not. It's not a smart investment. I'd do whatever needs to be done to make it drivable and drive it until the wheels fall off of it.

If you really want to make this a golden opportunity, find a decent Sc in good shape that you are interested in and can get for a reasonable price. Buy the Sc and use this one as a parts car.

These Sc's are built like a tank, but age wins over everything. If you try and keep up with the jones's of these cars you'll end up with 4 times what you can sell it for invested into it.

Since they last forever, keep all the rubber in, on, and around, replaced and just drive it. It'll be a great car.

When you finally have as much invested as you can sell it for, toss it and break even.
Good advice, I agree.. This isn't my daily driver by any means just something I can play with on the side.

How are these cars in the winter? My BMW 325ci (now gone) with snows was very drivable but I'm hesitant to try that with my s2000.
Old 10-29-06, 11:42 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

It's a rear wheel drive car with no trac control, tires are everything.
Old 10-30-06, 08:10 AM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

OK guys I'm going to pick the car up sometime this week. I'm about to call my mechanic and was wondering what I should have done and looked at alongside the timing belt. Water pump?
Old 10-30-06, 08:17 AM
Rorik
Driver School Candidate

Default RE: SC Donation

I would take the car. I just replaced the front brakes on my SC with Supra brakes. The rotors I took off only have 6000 miles on them and the calipers need to be rebuilt, but if you are interested I would let them go cheap. My car has 238000 on it and I add about 1000 miles a week to it. It runs great. Get some good M + S tires and you'll be fine over the winter. The best place I've found so far for parts at good prices is Champion Toyota in TX. Their best prices are online. Timing belts are only about $ 50 - 60 unless you buy them from the dealer and take ten minutes to swap.
Old 10-30-06, 08:41 AM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rorik
I would take the car. I just replaced the front brakes on my SC with Supra brakes. The rotors I took off only have 6000 miles on them and the calipers need to be rebuilt, but if you are interested I would let them go cheap. My car has 238000 on it and I add about 1000 miles a week to it. It runs great. Get some good M + S tires and you'll be fine over the winter. The best place I've found so far for parts at good prices is Champion Toyota in TX. Their best prices are online. Timing belts are only about $ 50 - 60 unless you buy them from the dealer and take ten minutes to swap.

Im sort of newb to all this dyi stuff (experience limited to oil changes, brakes) but the timing belt only takes 10 mins to swap?

edit:: I was reading over the threads and seems a bit too difficult given my experience, but its nice to know that the engine is non-interference, right?

Last edited by dcs265; 10-30-06 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-30-06, 08:48 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

with this sc you are going to be forced to be a diy guy .if you go to take it to mechanics they gonna tax you .do you have any pics would be nice to see what your came up on
Old 10-30-06, 08:51 AM
dcs265
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lexusboy94
with this sc you are going to be forced to be a diy guy .if you go to take it to mechanics they gonna tax you .do you have any pics would be nice to see what your came up on
I'll pick the car up soon and i'll have pictures up.

I do expect to be a DIY guy I just don't know if I'm ready to do the timing belt myself. I already know the car needs pads/rotors so I'll do that myself.

Any manual for the SC that is worth getting?
Old 10-30-06, 09:03 AM
Rorik
Driver School Candidate

Oops. My bad. I meant serpentine belt, not timing belt. That's what happens when you post with only half a cup of coffee in your system.
Old 10-30-06, 12:50 PM
TMaxxTim
Instructor

Yeah I was going to say 10 minutes for a timing belt!!!, Its definately a tedious job for the timing belt. You have to remove the radiator, fan, covers, crankshaft pully (have a harmonic balancer puller), and then you can finally get to the bottom of it.
Old 10-30-06, 04:44 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LadySoarer
What the hell r u waiting for!?!?!?!? Minor fix's here and there is no big deal. That is a 5-speed, you really dont find a lot of those for 2k.
Re-read his initial post LadySoarer.

Car = FREE
Repairs = approx $2k

Quick Reply: Boss giving away 1992 SC300 - 5 Speed