SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help! can't open the door on the passenger's

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-01, 10:45 AM
amati5
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! can't open the door on the passenger's

side door from the out side of my 94 SC400. I think the cable connected to the out side latch had come loose. Any one has experience removing the door panel? How difficult is it?

Thx.

Last edited by amati5; 10-24-01 at 11:42 PM.
Old 10-22-01, 12:43 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Help! can't open the door on the passenger's

Originally posted by amati5
side door from the out side of my 94 SC400. I think the cable connected to the out side latch had come loose. Any one has experience removing the door panel? How difficult is it?

Thx.
Not too difficult to take the door panel off. To get to other thing is another story. I am stiil trying to figure out how to take the power door lock actuator out.

There are about 5 screws on the door edge. Three on the bottom, two at the front with caps on. one screw behind the door handel, use a screwdriver to pry the cover off, do not brake it. Two long screws below the arm rest. I may forget something else, just take your time if it is your first time and you'll be ok.
Old 10-22-01, 01:56 PM
amati5
Driver

Thx VQT,

<<To get to other thing is another story>>

What does it really mean? I just want to put the cable back on to the latch. Does it apply to my case?

Any way, does the panel, beside the screws, have any of those plastic "push in self-lock" nuts like the ones on other Japanese cars?

Thx again
Old 10-22-01, 05:48 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by amati5
Thx VQT,

<<To get to other thing is another story>>

What does it really mean? I just want to put the cable back on to the latch. Does it apply to my case?

Any way, does the panel, beside the screws, have any of those plastic "push in self-lock" nuts like the ones on other Japanese cars?

Thx again
If you just want to push the cable back to the latch, you have no problem. I was thinking about getting to the power door actuator because on my car the cable is OK and I think it is the acuator that need to be replace.
No push in self-lock nuts. Just don't break the plastic cover at the handle. There might be still some tape cover the two screws under the arm rest.
Old 10-22-01, 07:29 PM
c_irie
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the door won't open but I had a problem with both doors not opening from the outside though it worked from the inside. If you have a similar problem then the pictured clip may be the problem this picture was taken from the es300 forum but they are all the same ...but the interesting thing is that on the parts catalogue for the SC's they do not list this item so if you do need this item you will have to mention this fact ...do not take it to the dealer since they will probably want to replace the entire handle assy for a 5.00 part
Attached Thumbnails Help! can't open the door on the passenger's-dsc00606.jpg  
Old 10-23-01, 05:16 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by c_irie
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by the door won't open but I had a problem with both doors not opening from the outside though it worked from the inside. If you have a similar problem then the pictured clip may be the problem this picture was taken from the es300 forum but they are all the same ...but the interesting thing is that on the parts catalogue for the SC's they do not list this item so if you do need this item you will have to mention this fact ...do not take it to the dealer since they will probably want to replace the entire handle assy for a 5.00 part
Good info.
Old 10-23-01, 09:23 AM
amati5
Driver

VQT,

Thx for the tip. I took the panel off last night without complication. You didn't miss anything. That was the fisrt time i took a door panel off without breaking any thing.

C_irie,

Yes, that was exactly what i found. That plastic lock was broken. Thx for the tip about the ES300.

You guys have been helpful, Thx again.
Old 10-24-01, 11:36 PM
amati5
Driver

VQT, C_irie

Help,

I fixed the door latch by replacing the plastic lock that lock the rod to the door latch. Now I can't lock that door. Everything seems to work ok, the mechanism respond to the lock button to lock and unlock. Except that now i can open the door from the outside regardless i lock it or not. Also the Nak system is completely dead. When i just had the problem with the door latch, the Nak would shut itself off when i go over a bump or make a turn. To sumarize it, now i fixed the door latch but am having problem with locking the door and the Nak is dead.

I checked the fuses (11 for inside the car and 23 in engine compartment) than they are both still ok.

If you have any tip on this, please help.
Old 01-11-05, 07:45 AM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok this might be a stupid questions but where can you get those yellow clips from?

Old 01-11-05, 09:41 AM
SPORTcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 3rdelement
ok this might be a stupid questions but where can you get those yellow clips from?
I might be mistaken....j/k, I'm never mistaken...69293-XXXXX would be a Lexus Dealer part #

On a side note...found some info that you guys might find really usefull:
http://www.auveco.com/hni/hni-145wb.pdf
http://www.auveco.com/hni/hni-139wb.pdf
If your door won't open from the outside, you may want to take a look at these before going to the dealer.

Cheers,
~Alan

EDIT: Correct part #s are 69293-12050 PASSENGER and 69293-12060 DRIVER side door.

Last edited by SPORTcoupe; 01-11-05 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-11-05, 12:43 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdelement

These clips are available from the dealer. They are a Lexus part. They cost about $8. There is yellow and white - the yellow I believe is for the drivers door and the white is for the pass door.

Jonny
Old 01-11-05, 12:46 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amati5
VQT, C_irie

Help,

I fixed the door latch by replacing the plastic lock that lock the rod to the door latch. Now I can't lock that door. Everything seems to work ok, the mechanism respond to the lock button to lock and unlock. Except that now i can open the door from the outside regardless i lock it or not. Also the Nak system is completely dead. When i just had the problem with the door latch, the Nak would shut itself off when i go over a bump or make a turn. To sumarize it, now i fixed the door latch but am having problem with locking the door and the Nak is dead.

I checked the fuses (11 for inside the car and 23 in engine compartment) than they are both still ok.

If you have any tip on this, please help.
Amati,

It sounds like you may have knocked out the rod or the clip for the locking system. There are 2 plastic clips and 2 rods in each door, one for the handle and the other for the locking. If you search my old posts you will see some pictures I took of them that may help you find your problem.

The same thing has happened to me before. When I put the new plastic clip on I inadvertently knocked out the rod for the lock. Now my drivers side doesn't lock from the drivers side!! Something I have been meaning to fix.

good luck,
Jonny
Old 01-11-05, 12:49 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by VQT
Not too difficult to take the door panel off. To get to other thing is another story. I am stiil trying to figure out how to take the power door lock actuator out.
Hey man,

After you remove the 3 torx screws it becomes a real pain. I ended up getting a unibit and drilling a hole in the inside of the door so I could fit my hand through there. I am trying for the life of me to remember how to remove the actuator so I could help you, but I am drawing a blank.

You will have to push out the lock rod ( be careful not to damage the clip) and I think you also have to loosen the exterior door handle.

It has been about 4 months since I have messed with it so I am not very clear.

Let me know if I can help with anything,

Regards,
Jonny
Old 01-11-05, 01:35 PM
3rdelement
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nice!

hey guys thanks for the part numbers. Im going after work today to get the clips. And im sure spend most of the night wedging my hand in my door trying not to cut myself. But hopefully tomorrow i'll have a working passenger door. Thank again!
~R
Old 01-11-05, 02:51 PM
hotttoddie
Driver School Candidate

Default 1995 SC300 Door pdf

heres a pdf on how to open/reassemble the door... hope this helps...

http://todd.gatorline.com/1995SC300Door.pdf

hope that helps... same thing happened to me... its nice to hear its a cheap fix...

-todd

Quick Reply: Help! can't open the door on the passenger's