o2 sensor & exhaust manifold help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-01, 12:13 PM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 sensor & exhaust manifold help

Hi all,

About 3 weeks ago, I brought my '97 SC to the dealer to get exhaust manifold replaced... I just barely got it in under warranty (well, there's a long story to this too... see below if you're interested). So I picked it up when the repair was done, and drove home, which was only 5 min. away. The next morning, I noticed the check engine light was on. I bought myself an EASE Diagnostics OBD-II scanner and pulled off the engine code... O2 sensor malfunction. I figured the techs probably didn't hook it up right when they replaced the exhaust manifold, so I bring it back today and they tell me that the O2 sensor needs to be replaced - Over $200 in parts/labor. However, they claim that it is only a coincidence. I suppose anything is possible, but how can they tell me that they are positive this had nothing to do with the exhaust manifold repair, even though the parts are adjacent and it happened just as the manifold was replaced. Are they pulling my leg? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

So here's the story about the warranty. I wanted to get them to replace the rattling heat shield on the exhaust manifold before my warranty ran out. I called to make an appointment, but the only time they could schedule me was 2 days after my warranty expiration date. The technician on the phone tells me that it shouldn't be a problem if it's only 2 days after. Well, once I bring my car in, they tell me that it WILL be a problem and want to charge me $450. So I called Lexus Corporate headquarters customer service dept., which was very helpful. Lexus Corporate dealt with the dealer themselves and I got my repair done as a 'goodwill' repair, free of charge like it should have been in the first place. So the exhaust manifold was replaced, but now this O2 sensor malfunction occurs...
Old 10-24-01, 11:15 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Change the O2 yourself. It may be that the O2 get dirty when replacing the exaust manifold. The O2 is connecting to the exaust pipe.
Old 10-24-01, 11:41 AM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

That's what I plan to do now... But that means I have to spend $150 if I want to get a Toyota/Lexus O2 sensor ($50 for aftermarket ones), which I shouldn't have to spend if they caused this malfunction.

Ben
Old 10-24-01, 06:51 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by platinumJZZ31
That's what I plan to do now... But that means I have to spend $150 if I want to get a Toyota/Lexus O2 sensor ($50 for aftermarket ones), which I shouldn't have to spend if they caused this malfunction.

Ben
Can you give me the web site or phone no. of the place that sell after market O2 sensor?

I don't think it is their fault. Any small contaminant go thru and the O2 is gone. They replaced the exaust manifold under warranty, but they never said anything related to it. They could very well say it time you need to change the O2 anyway. O2 are suppose to be replace every 90K miles anyway.

It happen to me when I just bought my 93 green SC400 at 142,xxx miles. Took it home wash the engine. Too much water was used to clean years of oil and grease on the engine. Then water get in one of the spark plug. Result, costs me two main O2 sensors $114 each + tax. And that is the cheapest price I can get for OEM. I wouldn't mind buying after market O2...
Old 10-24-01, 07:21 PM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

Sorry,

I thought the ones a www.discountconverter.com would fit, but they're only for toyota's up to 1995. Pre-OBDII I guess.

As far as the 02 sensor goes, I have less than 45k miles on my car... I understand even a tiny bit of dirt can make it malfunction, but I think they shoulda been careful...

anyway, I got my car back yesterday (without having the work done), and I noticed that the entire plastic piece that is supposed to cover the underbody is GONE!! I just changed my oil last week, and it was still there... something tells me they're not being too thorough.

Ben
Old 10-24-01, 08:26 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Sorry,

I thought the ones a www.discountconverter.com would fit, but they're only for toyota's up to 1995. Pre-OBDII I guess.

As far as the 02 sensor goes, I have less than 45k miles on my car... I understand even a tiny bit of dirt can make it malfunction, but I think they shoulda been careful...

anyway, I got my car back yesterday (without having the work done), and I noticed that the entire plastic piece that is supposed to cover the underbody is GONE!! I just changed my oil last week, and it was still there... something tells me they're not being too thorough.

Ben
Definitely go back and make BIG WAVE. Talk to the manager, the owner who ever. They have to put the plastic cover back and replace your O2.
Not to offend Lexus Technician in this forum but I seen dealer mechanics work. I'll say 80% are very careless. That's why I try to work on my car. Only let them work on what I can't and I want to be there when they work on it. This makes it impossible for me to take to the dealer. Only to people that let me watch their work and they still mess up my cars.
Old 10-25-01, 05:48 AM
platinumJZZ31
Rookie

Yes, I would just like to point out that the technicians themselves at this dealership, (I've talked to about 3) have been VERY nice and helpful, probably THE nicest technicians I've ever met. It's the service consultants who I have a problem with. The 3 that I've talked to all patronize their customers (I've witnessed arguments with other customers in the waiting room).

I'm apologize if I seem to have ranted about the technicians... it's not them I'm pissed at. After all, I don't think it was the tech that made the decision to charge me $200 for the O2 sensor.

Ben
Old 10-25-01, 06:27 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Yes, I would just like to point out that the technicians themselves at this dealership, (I've talked to about 3) have been VERY nice and helpful, probably THE nicest technicians I've ever met. It's the service consultants who I have a problem with. The 3 that I've talked to all patronize their customers (I've witnessed arguments with other customers in the waiting room).

I'm apologize if I seem to have ranted about the technicians... it's not them I'm pissed at. After all, I don't think it was the tech that made the decision to charge me $200 for the O2 sensor.

Ben
It was the tech. that forgot to put your cover back!!!
Since the cover is off already, check to see if they miss anything else, bolts, shield...

Last edited by VQT; 10-25-01 at 06:33 AM.