All Aftermarket SC Hoods Listed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-06, 03:11 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emerald
- OEM style Dry Carbon Fiber Hood/Trunk
- 1200usd /1200usd
- No longer manufactured. I THINK, They were just ahead of their time a bit. Most people didnt know 'why' they (Autoclaved parts) cost more than the 'other' (hand laid) CF hoods out there. Then there were a lot of people who simply didnt like the 'finish'
- As close to perfect fitment that Ive seen. Many were scrapped in production, because they didnt have the perfect weave I wanted.

Poorly timed 2000-2001 Production numbers:- 6 hoods, 3 trunks

- I could stand on them

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please do not email/PM me for the ones I still have. I need them and seriously not interested in selling (them) or building parts anymore. I'm posting this info to show that Japan isnt the only place capable of making great products for cars. I know its cool to be "JDM TyTe"!, but there are lots of State-Side companies that deserve a chance to show what they can do.
Dang, Em. Didn't know you made dry ones.
I wish I knew how to work with carbon fiber.
Old 11-26-06, 04:19 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The Funny thing is; I didnt know of any other way (but 'Dry') at the time, because We built structural composite parts for industries outside of the Automotive world.

The SC4 was the first Japanese car I had built and everything in the 'Tuner scene' was new to me....including the manufacturing methods. So after a million questions about the 'dull finish', I built the ones I have now.

They do 'look' better tho.....I guess
Old 11-26-06, 04:49 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Emerald
The Funny thing is; I didnt know of any other way (but 'Dry') at the time, because We built structural composite parts for industries outside of the Automotive world.

The SC4 was the first Japanese car I had built and everything in the 'Tuner scene' was new to me....including the manufacturing methods. So after a million questions about the 'dull finish', I built the ones I have now.

They do 'look' better tho.....I guess
Teach me, oh great one!
Old 11-26-06, 05:02 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by roo
Not true, the Vertex hood is Dry Carbon....costs a fortune but is the lightest hood available. Unfortunatly, it can no vent =/ Which leads me to the Varis CF hood....it's definatly lighter than the Seibon/VIS/other knockoff brands. Here's a pic of the Varis hood:
which is what i just said???

most people aren't going to buy dry carbon

wet is the most pratical price wise... i'd say 5% of people who buy it get dry carbon, you would only get it if you were die hard about racing

aka yet again MOST HOODS GET YOU 20%, there is way more wet then dry carbon products out there
Old 11-26-06, 05:08 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by over40driv
600.00 sounds like a good deal if a guy could find it for that, Im just trying to figure out how 40lbs is going to make a noticable difference in perf.
Think about it this way

a stock 2 and change liter Stock Turbo WRX with around 220 HP can beat out a stock SC400 with around 250-290 HP depending on the year

thats because our cars are like 3500 lbs and theirs are just about 3000

if you do a lot of weight reduction... ex) taking out spare tire, stripping back seat, and carbon fiber in different areas then you are taking out much weight.

that 500 lb difference makes a huge PERF difference.

so even though you might see very slight results from adding a Carbon Fiber Hood, overtime if you do a lot of weight mods it all adds up to be a signifigant difference

P.S. If anyone can find more non-OEM style hoods i would appreciate it, we seem to get lots of those styles

Oh and Emerald, you need to make a thread about what all you've done to your car, I'm digging all the customization of your car that i see in your sig, i think about it everytime i see one of your posts
Old 11-28-06, 07:07 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think im getting it now, C.F. hood, lightweight wheels,find some other dead weight, and a well tuned sc400, with freeflowing intake and exhaust, would be a fun ride, as well as looking good and having luxury.
Old 11-28-06, 08:40 PM
jibbby
Banned - could not follow forum rules

Guy's is it really worth the money to spend it on the Carbon Fiber hoods?...What that saves you 45 front end pounds....Matching paint, fitting the hood, etc, seems like alot of trouble for little benefit.....

It's hard to justify that kind of spendature, No?
Old 11-28-06, 09:09 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

yea, read wut i said earlier

you're right to a degree...

its something you should do down the road, focus first on upgrading your engine and suspension, and then when you get really serious about it and have the power to back it up, then its worth it to shave the unneeded pounds
Old 12-01-06, 04:40 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are your suggestions for upgrading the engine on the 400 Skidsxx22, after a freeflowing intake and ex.
Old 12-02-06, 02:38 PM
natesiy
Rookie

Back on topic.

1. The Seibon Vented style hood had really good fitment.
2. $850 CAD shipped
3. CF/FG support
4. From the Canadian Seibon distributor, IAD
5. None. Took a little to align but thats about it. Oh, stock shocks don't work. I had to get my re-gassed for 50% of the weight.

As for the performance aspect of things...none. Don't expect any. Your talking about a 3700lbs vehicle shaving off 30-40lbs.

CF just looks cool to some people.