SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DVD/XBOX/COMPUTER setup

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-01, 09:27 AM
abutler696
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question DVD/XBOX/COMPUTER setup

Alright guys, I don't don't if yall know much about the XBOX which is coming out in a few weeks but it is similar to a playstation 2 because it plays DVD's also. Now I am trying to figure out the best setup in which I can install a monitor in my front dash, hooked to the XBOX which will probably go in my glove compartment if it will fit, and a computer for online access, MP3's, etc which will be in the trunk. The computer will basically be my receiver, and CD player. The XBOX will plug into the video card I will purchase for the computer. The computer will of course hook up to my amplifier. And I will have a mini-keyboard on my visor and a mouse pad somewhere, not really sure yet. Now I need some suggestions since I don't know too much. Well here is what I want, when the monitor is playing a CD I want all those equalizing waves and stuff that looks cool, not just a blank screen. Should I go about this setup in a different way in order to get this. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Adam

Oh and also, what size monitor would fit in my dash perfectly, and what brand and model do yall suggest that I purchase?
Old 10-25-01, 10:22 AM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are just using your xbox thing...for a cd player u might be s.o.l. on the eq effect.....unless you actually use a radio with an eq. if all you want is a graphic display while you play cd from your xbox.....see if you can run a separate program from your computer that has something for that application.
Old 10-25-01, 11:35 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

I'll see if I can dig up some OLD pics of my Hyundai. Had a pentium 75 in it to play MP3's, 12" laptop screen in the dash, etc.

It's not all that hard to do, I'm planning to do the same thing in my car.

You'll want a NICE soundcard for this, if you're going for good sound. Not like creative labs soundblaster or stuff like that, I mean a Roland that costs $1000 or the such. You'll need something that can do true sound. If you use media player as the CD player, it's got the EQ and all that crap. Or better yet, use a third party program that will REALLY let you control the sound. I'm not big into digital editing anymore....but there's a ton out there. I remember Cakewalk came with some sorta kickass CD player built in.

As for the screen....I would reccomend a touchscreen. That way you can do without the mouse (trust me a trackpad or ball or pointer is NOT easy to use when driving...lol). You could just tap on the MP3 on the screen, and it starts playing!

I'll see what else I can come up with, I've been meaning to start working on that for my car too.

SR
Old 10-25-01, 03:31 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Good luck fitting the Xbox in the glove box. A ps2 won't even fit in their without some modifying and their isn't a whole lot of room to expand because the computer is behind it. I am thinking about taking about the PS2 and installing underneath my Panasonic TV/DVD unit in dash. That way I can change games right there and not have to reach under the seat or go into the trunk.

I would also not suggest a touchscreen because although it is a little easier to use, you will be hating it when you are trying to play games or watch movies and there are fingerprints all over the screen. My friend has the touchscreen in dash Kenwood TV/DVD setup and he hates it because of the prints.
Old 10-25-01, 04:42 PM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

ya, but the fingerprint problem could be easily solved with a stylus or some other pointy object

Jason
Old 10-25-01, 04:54 PM
2Lexos
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

or you could let the nail on your index finger grow long and use it as a stylus
Old 10-25-01, 04:58 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

http://www.gnetcanada.com/index2.htm

http://www.gnetcanada.com/index2.htm

check out this website I just found. It's only like $1500 for the computer, GPS navigation, touchscreen, DVD, screensavers, cd, and everything. It's awesome
Old 10-27-01, 09:09 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Post try this one techies

Ok, I've been hiding from the board for a while (Chris in CA you already heard all this), working on a home automation system.

How about buying a touchscreen Audrey from tigerdirect.com for $89 bucks, running that via a CAT5 cable to a computer (200MHZ, 64MB Ram minimum) running Win98. The computer has your WinAmp installed and the drive (or cd drive) loaded with MP3's.

Using a free plugin for win amp you run a 'web server' on the computer - VERY EASY TO DO.

The touch screen audrey then lets you control the music! Or surf the internet, Or running terminal services view DVD's????

Total cost is easily under $500 for a fairly nice set up. Easy to add addtional LCD's or monitors.

(Chris, maybe you were right about my business, eh?)
Old 10-27-01, 09:36 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

OOooo...home automation. My arena...I love playing with that crap. Everything from Lanzar down to X-10 (and man x-10 has some awesome crap for the price!)

SR
Old 10-27-01, 09:55 AM
the_ez_rhino
Lead Lap

hmmmm...... ok what is a cat5 cable? and how on earth would you connect to the internet from your car? this sounds very interesting to me, when you say run it to a computer, it doesnot have to be a laptop does it? And how hard is it to run power to computer (im no expert, but isnt car power ac, and outlet power dc, and vica versa? i thought u couldnt switch inbetween those two.)

and how hard would it be to plug it in to your speakers, or wherever you plug the cords in

Jason
Old 10-27-01, 10:17 AM
933005spd
Lead Lap

Post not hard at all

1. Cat 5 cable is standard network wiring. It has 6 wires which terminate in a telephone type ending called RJ-45.

If connecting computer network cards to a network device such a hub you use standard Cat5 cable.

If connecting two computers together with the network cards you use a crossover Cat5 cable.

--------------
You will need a computer in your trunk, laptop or other, with the following:

- minimum 200MHZ processor with 32 MB ram.
- Sound card with line out or speaker out.
- video (VGA or Component) output if you want to connect any screens or LCD monitors.
- hardrive to hold Windows 98 ~ 1 GB minimum
- WinAmp with Snowcrash plug in installed.
A DC power source to the computer or a power inverter (converts 12VDC to AC).
----------------
Set up the computer nice and stable in the trunk, run wires to the audrey and use it up front. The Snowcrash plug in works as web pages and you can customize it.
----------------

I have a Kenwood head unit which came with a set of RCA inputs on the back for either a DVD or TV player, I am running the audio from a sound card headphone jack to these. (they have wires with a headphone jack on one end and RCA on the other)

----------------------------------------
You could install a GPS program in it and a DVD player, use it also for navigation.

Buy a wireless phone with data capability (kyocera QCP 2035) and using their kit for wireless data transfer to connect to your ISP!

I bet you could buy all this, install it over a weekend for under 1000.

Of course you need to know the basics of networking to do this, but it really is easy.
Attached Images