SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Are these cars the next "240sx" ??
YES
22.56%
NO
54.27%
ALMOST
23.17%
Voters: 164. You may not vote on this poll

Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-06, 07:18 AM
Dramon
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read through the bazillion pages of bla bla bla but here's my two cents.

*sigh* I'm probably gonna get flamed for this one...

1) To all you "ooh i have a Lexus my car is soooo much nicer, how dare they!!!" people. Get over yourselves. IMO you're not someone that truly appreciates the car for what it is enough to have any valid input in this arguement. So take your HID kits and stereo systems elsewhere. You're not an SC enthusiast, youre a Lexus enthusiast and more caught up in the brand than the car. Don't get me wrong, I love the Toyota quality but a BFI hardly counts as a mod and someone who's biggest mod is and always will be a BFI isn't too much different than some punk 16 year old kid wanting an SC300 to turn it into a drift beast. Props on keeping your car in good shape and taking care of it, but seriously now.

2) The SC is too heavy compared to the 240. And the price gap that exists now won't narrow that much more between the two.

3) The SC takes too much to convert over to any sort of serious drifter comparatively. One of the biggest such obstacles is transmission. The w58 is pretty fragile and by the time you've swapped it to something else you're not driving a budget drifter anymore.

4) I kinda said it already but weight weight weight. The 240 will always have more bang for buck value simply becuase of the huge weight difference between the two.

5) Ah, finally, the best reason of all and the reason why you should love your car....the 2JZ. <3

Anyways, i'm not trying to offend anyone. I'm just tired of SC owners trying to act all hot isht becuase of the L badge that get caught up in the brand. Don't get me wrong, the SC is great, it is nice having a Lexus. But, on that same note you gotta take a step back once and a while. Even tho its a great car and a great platform, they aren't super expensive cars anymore and when you try to act like youre soooo cool becuase you have a stockish SC you start to look like a 944 owner who *gasp* has a porsche.
Old 12-30-06, 10:12 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

Dude shut up and stop crying about the weight of the SC. ill lay you down with stock power and full interior learn to drive and learn your facts. i drift, Auto-x, Tarmac Rally all day everyday on my w58 and so do 5 of my other buddies that i installed for them. and they are reliable and easy to swap in just like any other auto to manual conversion. then u spend 50 bucks and weld your diff and you got a drift machine. i hate it when someone says somehting like that.

Last edited by Sc dRifta; 12-30-06 at 10:17 AM.
Old 12-30-06, 04:42 PM
Dramon
Driver

Originally Posted by Sc dRifta

Dude shut up and stop crying about the weight of the SC. ill lay you down with stock power and full interior learn to drive and learn your facts. i drift, Auto-x, Tarmac Rally all day everyday on my w58 and so do 5 of my other buddies that i installed for them. and they are reliable and easy to swap in just like any other auto to manual conversion. then u spend 50 bucks and weld your diff and you got a drift machine. i hate it when someone says somehting like that.
Uhh i'm sure you do and whats your point? I don't think I came into this thread acting l ike I was takumi or anything.

I wasn't crying about anything. And I never said the SC couldn't drift, of course it can. I was saying that out of the box and dollar for dollar the 240 is gonna end up ahead of the SC as far as drifting goes.

If the SC was such a great drift platform and THAT comparable to the 240 it would have already become the next 240 which it really hasn't here or in japan. Going back to the weight thing, its gonna eat through tires faster than a lighter car, its gonna need more horsepower to achieve the same power to weight. For 50 bucks I could weld the diff in a 240 too, strip it out, and for less than half the price of an SC i'd have a car that weighed 2400lbs.

Last edited by Dramon; 12-30-06 at 10:02 PM.
Old 12-30-06, 05:14 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

I'm kind of glad that the Sc isn't going to be the next 240, I would like to keep the car in hands of people that truly appreciate for what it's worth.
Old 12-30-06, 11:23 PM
erollinc
Driver

ive owned both and i can honestly say no

because you cannot easily find suspension parts for when you run into curbs

the cost to get the car to worthy drift status would cost ALOT more than a 240....

the drive/driftabilty of the 240 makes it an easy choice for beginners... weld the diff and u can do somethin

jsut the cost of the parts and car in general ... also considering not many at all came with a w58 .... most guys dont like drifting autos
Old 12-31-06, 04:56 AM
peanuthead
Rookie

SC's are more work/money than 240's are when it comes to drifting
Old 12-31-06, 01:42 PM
Gunnar
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by raine
I say it doesn't really matter.

If you're worried so much about other people and what they do to the same car that you have (like it or not), then go buy a car that isn't popular - like an Aztek or something.

And for the record, I had a 240sx before my SC. Just because of that, don't automatically stereotype me for my choice in cars.
I remember you from 240SXForums, your car was beautiful.

I had a 92 240SX coupe, then a suspension/caged AE86, and now my SC. Nothing I ever own will handle like the Corolla did but I enjoy driving the SC the most out of all of them (well, did before it broke haha).
Old 12-31-06, 01:55 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

I just get a bit worried because when a car gets really popular, that's when the thefts begin. I was swaping my wheels around for the winter a couple weeks back in my garage and came outside to a little punk kid in a white 240SX(all bashed up of course) on the phone staring down my car and wheels. As soon as he saw me walk towards him he bolted out of there like a bat out of hell. Just cause you can't afford it doesn't make it ok to "borrow" other people's stuff! I just hope this isn't going to be the case all of the time.
Old 01-01-07, 07:38 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
I just get a bit worried because when a car gets really popular, that's when the thefts begin. I was swaping my wheels around for the winter a couple weeks back in my garage and came outside to a little punk kid in a white 240SX(all bashed up of course) on the phone staring down my car and wheels. As soon as he saw me walk towards him he bolted out of there like a bat out of hell. Just cause you can't afford it doesn't make it ok to "borrow" other people's stuff! I just hope this isn't going to be the case all of the time.
Exactally. I could care less if someone wants to drift. Just don't hurt anybody innocent while driving around and don't cause troubble. The threat of theft is making me want to lock my car and park backwards into the carport.
Old 01-01-07, 09:11 PM
Sc dRifta

Originally Posted by Dramon
I wasn't crying about anything. And I never said the SC couldn't drift, of course it can. I was saying that out of the box and dollar for dollar the 240 is gonna end up ahead of the SC as far as drifting goes.

what you guys think about this quote?
Old 01-01-07, 09:14 PM
Sc dRifta

oh and yes i did get reality check by a friend that read this forum. he let me know that not everywhere is like Southern California and these cars and parts are expensive with out a sponsor. so my tunning expierience wouldn't really count anyways.

Last edited by Sc dRifta; 01-01-07 at 09:18 PM.
Old 01-09-07, 08:00 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

general rule of thumb: every 100 lbs less is .1 seconds less in a quarter mile
so what the 240sx saves 1 whole second in time according to weight?

the engine on the SC can get up to be just as powerful if not more powerful when swapped for the 1jz or 2jz

i dont see why you're making that big of an argument out of weight???
also i wouldnt want to own a 240sx anyways... why would you want to own a car that every other drifter on a budget has?

pride yourself on being different and put work and money into your car to get something unique. It's just like exterior mods too, you don't want to get the same body kit, paint, lights, or wheels as someone else, you're simply copying them.

not to mention the SC looks better and has more class
i think for the sc to reach that status you're gonna have to give it a few more years for the car and the market (if it ever happens soon anyways) to devalue
Old 01-09-07, 09:31 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Short Answer: No
Longer rant: Buy whatever you like. If you like the way a 240 looks, handles, drives, mods, sweet...buy that. If you prefer the qualities found in the Sc...buy that. But stop this whiney *** crap about what lexus/nissan stand for. Remember, the car doesnt make the driver.
Old 08-06-09, 10:22 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AME_VIP
That is part of the problem that comes with kids buying SCs... they become more of a target for theft.

I'm suprised so many are voting no... Go on to any 240 forum and there are lots of people posting about how they have SC's now.
And this is my only worry coming from a Honda back ground my cars have been broken into a few times and my b16 EG stolen twice one year after another...that's when I threw in the towel..they are the easiest cars to get..doesn't matter what security measures you have an alarm etc.they want it they will get it!...my dads an engineer for Honda so maybe this was reason to him that me getting anything but,a Honda was understood...I've loved the SC since I was 18 im 31 now..and loved the 50's-60's VW Bus since I was 9 now I have bothbut,overall I hope it doesn't become a popular fad where kids are figuring out in there garage how to break into them,slim jim there way,hot wire etc
Old 08-07-09, 06:05 AM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hate drift

Quick Reply: Are SC's / Soarer the next 240sx?