SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

still looking... import option?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-06, 10:00 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default still looking... import option?

I've put up a couple posts asking about the sc's as I am very activly looking for one. Unfortunatly I'm still looking as I havent found anything for me. However recently I've come across the option of importing a used SC with a 1JZ from Japan with a company called "Japan Partner", and am very interested. I have no experiece doing this, and I'm worried about them sending me a hunk-of-junk. Has anyone imported with this company? What kind of expierience was it? Was it difficult? Any problems? Also, just wondering if they made the 1JZ in a left-hand drive in Japan that they would be able to send over, cuz the ones I've seen with Japan Partner are all right-hand drive and I'm not too crazy about that. Any input would be much appriciated...
Old 12-11-06, 10:02 PM
Black_SC
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

why not just buy an sc300 and swap a 1jz? it would be cheaper and you would have LHD.
Old 12-12-06, 02:42 AM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Actually, the reason I'm so interested is cuz they're really cheap in Japan, and to get it shipped to me will be under $1000. But maybe your right, after I'm done with everything it might end up being cheaper to just do a swap here. But I really dont know, so the question still stands... has anyone imported?

(Also, did they make LHD SC's in Japan? I know they have LHD Audi's and certain Nissan's and Benz'.)
Old 12-12-06, 06:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

The real problem you'll have is getting the retrofitted to meet US safety standards. It's not as simple as just shipping it here and insuring it. You won't have a US VIN #. Without that forget about registering and insuring.

Search here under Soarer and import and you'll see some of the problems.
Old 12-12-06, 01:35 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkorsu
The real problem you'll have is getting the retrofitted to meet US safety standards. It's not as simple as just shipping it here and insuring it. You won't have a US VIN #. Without that forget about registering and insuring.

Search here under Soarer and import and you'll see some of the problems.
He doesn't have to worry about our POS safety standards because he's in BC. In Canada they can import older cars with no problem. I'd say just keep you eyes open. If you can get a really nice JDM Soarer do it, but I'd rather be LHD and have a regular gauge cluster.
Old 12-12-06, 03:16 PM
AME_VIP
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do it. They are cheap! Get a good importer you trust. I'm pretty sure they are RHD only. There are a bunch in BC already.
Old 12-12-06, 04:18 PM
2JZ_SC
Lead Lap

Just the cost of shiping is nuts... $4k to $5K. paper work out the a..! Just get one that has a 1JZ swap.
Old 12-12-06, 05:34 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Shipping cost for me is confirmed at $997.00, so thats no problem. And it will get shipped to Port of New Westminster, and I live in New West! I can just walk down the hill and pick it up. I'm more concerned about the legitimacy of the Company and what they send me. Also I really dont want a RHD, does ANYONE know if they made LHD SC's there that they can send me!?
Old 12-12-06, 05:46 PM
ram3ez
Pole Position

BUY MY SC 400

http://sr1.clublexus.com/forums/show...=236171&page=4
Old 12-12-06, 06:04 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts

Find a nice auction grade 4 car and do it if you're sourcing it from japan. Theres also a few listed on autotrader.ca in the Vancouver area. You can get a stock soarer in average-good condition for around 300 000-350 000 yen. Plus shipping plus registration etc...

If you are unsure about Japan Partner, find some of their clients and ask them. Although I have not dealt with them, I have heard good things about jdmconnection.ca from a previous customer if you're thinking of going with someone else, but theres a whole bunch to choose from.

You're not getting around RHD with any Soarer.... Theres a few 1JZ swapped SC's around in the classifieds section somewhere, but you'll spend more buying one of those than you will with a Soarer.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 12-12-06 at 06:08 PM. Reason: needed editing.
Old 12-12-06, 06:26 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ram3ez
haha looks nice, but I'm across the continent in Vancouver. If I buy a sc400 I'll be looking a little closer to home
Old 12-12-06, 06:50 PM
natesiy
Rookie

Bring it in! Join the Soarer Club in Van!

If shipping is around $1k, your probably looking at ro-ro for your car. It's quite a hefty waiting list to get roll on roll off. Last i heard around 2-3 months.

If your bringin in a full container with your importer, you gotta be careful how they pack it. A container is around $3k USD, so to get your $1k CAD pricing, you would have to get 3 or 4 cars in there. Do u know how they get 4 cars in a 40' :s One's tilted up, the next is hung over top of the first one, 2nd hung over top the 3rd, etc.

RHD is not a problem. A couple of days and you're fine with driving. No, you can't switch a RHD to a LHD easily. Probably can be done, but not for the cost difference of just buying a SC in the US and bringing it up here.

Go with J-Spec. They're very informative, organized and a good bunch of guys to deal with. Don't bother with the 2 bit, shady car importers around town.
Old 12-12-06, 06:52 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

then buy mine! I'm only a 26 hr drive away AT MOST.
Old 12-12-06, 11:27 PM
scENFORCER
Lexus Champion

So I guess it looks like I should just do a swap?
Old 12-13-06, 06:43 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

Originally Posted by WebStarr
He doesn't have to worry about our POS safety standards because he's in BC. In Canada they can import older cars with no problem. I'd say just keep you eyes open. If you can get a really nice JDM Soarer do it, but I'd rather be LHD and have a regular gauge cluster.
Ahhhh. My mistake.

Quick Reply: still looking... import option?