SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is the only difference between the SC300 and the SC400 the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-01, 06:00 PM
Phierce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the only difference between the SC300 and the SC400 the engine?

I'm really interested in getting a SC, but I can't decide between the 300 or 400. I have heard that the power and reliability of the 400 is great. What about the 300? Is the only difference the V6 vs. the V8? I'd buy the 400 no matter what, but the "automatic only" is holding me back. I'm coming from a long line of sports cars with manual trannys.
Old 10-30-01, 08:10 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the 300 is a inline 6, which is also much superior in design than the 400 V8...

the whole driveline is different between the cars...

some will argue with me, but i've personally beaten 2 SC400s with my SC300 5-speed... one on a roll and the other at a light...

both engines are extremely reliable however, and there's word of a supercharger available soon for the 400...
Old 10-30-01, 08:59 PM
hellasboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the inline 6 in the 300 is a work of art. like bean said, both engines are extremely reliable.

but since you said that you come from a long line of manual trannys, then i'd reccomend the 300 w/ the 5-speed. it's more spirited in it's driving. don't get me wrong, the 400 is fun, but that adaptive ecu enjoys taking the fun out of your driving (until you reset it that is )
Old 10-30-01, 09:16 PM
smooth8
Driver

Default Touchy Topic

If you consider leaving your car stock then the sc400 will beat the sc300. I raced two sc300's with my sc400 when it was stock. The 300's had minor work like greddy exhaust, filter. We raced from 0-145 and the sc300 was three cars back after 120.

My dad can beat up your dad syndromes are really worthless. You can make any car fast. The sc300 you can probably make faster with the supra tt upgrades.

Just enjoy the car whatever you get even if it is a ford Festiva, you can always upgrade it.
Old 10-30-01, 09:16 PM
Phierce
Driver School Candidate

Well I've owned a RX7 Turbo, a 300ZX, and a MR2 Turbo. The main reason I'm looking at the SC is because I want something a little more reliable and practical, but still maintain a sporty look and feel. If the I6 is as reliable as the V8 I might start leaning in that direction, although I don't really want to mod the car, so the V8 still packs a little more punch.... ahhh.... decisions decisions...
Old 10-30-01, 09:23 PM
Lance
Rookie

Phierce,

Besides engines, the other major difference is the tranny (if both were auto). The SC400 has an "intelligent" auto transmission that's not offered in the SC3. It's MUCH smoother in shift quality(to the point of being imperceptible) and "learns" your driving habits to adjust shift patterns accordingly.

There are also slight differences in available options and such, with a few things that were only available on the SC400 (for instance, more leather in the interior). For the most part, pretty much everything was standard on the SC4, with most of these features being made available on the SC3 as options.

If you've driven both cars, you'll also notice that the SC400 has a much more powerful and smoother engine. The 6 in the SC3 is nice too, but it's weaker and less "buttery" than the V8.

Last thing--check out any and all sources for performance figures for the two, and you'll see that the SC400 is faster 0-60, faster through the 1/4 mile, and has a higher top speed than even a manual SC300, contrary to what some folks may think. But facts are facts. Speed aside, both are great rides.

Lance
98 SC400
95 Supra TT
Old 10-30-01, 09:33 PM
Phierce
Driver School Candidate

Okay, thanks for the run-down... one more thing, how do the cars perform in the rain and snow? Does the traction control really help (being a RWD car)? I haven't had many problems with other RWD vehicles, except maybe the MR2 which gets a little tail happy since most of the weight is in the back.
Old 10-31-01, 07:24 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

See what i mean? Others don't agree with me on the speed of the SC4s vs SC3s

Check out the magazine times if you don't believe me. hell maybe my car is a ringer... but Motortrend squeezed a 14.9 @ 94mph out of a SC3 5-speed... and the slipomatic in the SC4 managed a 15.4 i believe

Its funny how much the SC3 reacts to the A/C being on... when its on, I swear I lose a LOT of power... but my SC3 is stock and I can take on stock SC4s i'm positive since i've already done it...

my car has larger 245 tires in the rear and I spin when shifting to second, not just a little chirp either... the whole car bucks and sways to the side... SC4 with only 30more hp and 150lbs of more weight won't do that... and its got more torque... the automatic prolly causes some of it, but that just means that you bog

the SC4 does have more torque though... but its not like the 300 is low in that category either...
you can put a small turbo on the 300, but a couple other boltons like fuel control and such, and run a mere 7psi, and roast Vettes, SupraTTs, Stage V+ 300zxs, etc... it can be run with stock compression too so the low-end isn't lost

go drive both before you make a decision... when i drove a SC4 back in the day it felt like a tortise off the line compared to my old N/A 300zx... my uncle's car.... we never raced tho... but i'm pretty sure i would have had him in the 60'

Last edited by Bean; 10-31-01 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-31-01, 08:45 AM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Default well.... depend on which year

One thing I may want to add to the SC3 5spd vs SC4's argument is that you got to talk about the which year of the SC4's.
the pre-1998's doesn't have the 290hp V8. and I would believe that a 225hp 5spd lighter SC3's can beat a heavier 260hp SC4 auto.
but when it comes to the post-98 SC4's. even the best launches by the 5spd SC3's probably can't beat the SC4.... once in a while I can believe, but it will lost alot more often than it'll win.

I have a question though. I know the SC's are redesigned in '95. and again in '97. But was there another slight redesign after '97 (in terms of design only).
Old 10-31-01, 09:59 AM
Lance
Rookie

I'm recalling this from memory (can't seem to find the old issue of Motor Trend from 92 or so when the SC400 was I.C.O.Y.), but I remember the 0-60 time was 6.5...pretty quick, considering that until '95 or so, the cars only made 250HP (they got a slight bump to 260HP in '95 or '96, then made the jump to 290 in '98).

Carclick.com posts a 6.6 0-60 with the older 250HP motor, numbers that I don't believe have been duplicated by the 300, even with the self-shift...but really, who buys a Lexus for acceleration bragging rights?

If you want a 300 with a stick, forget about the Traction Control. The Lexus pamphlet says that it's not available on the SC3 with the manual tranny.

As far as design changes go, I'm fairly certain that there weren't any exterior changes after '97, unless you count paint color choices.

Lance
98 SC400 0-60 in 6.1
95 Supra TT
Old 10-31-01, 12:06 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by Phierce
Well I've owned a RX7 Turbo, a 300ZX, and a MR2 Turbo. The main reason I'm looking at the SC is because I want something a little more reliable and practical, but still maintain a sporty look and feel. If the I6 is as reliable as the V8 I might start leaning in that direction, although I don't really want to mod the car, so the V8 still packs a little more punch.... ahhh.... decisions decisions...
Packs a little punch? I don't know about that, last time I drove SC400 that punch was kinda late. Hahaha. It's very simple, SC300 has the 2JZ-GE motor which is also found in the N/A version of Toyota Supra. If you turbo the engine you will be making some mad power.
Old 10-31-01, 12:41 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

i personally did a 6.6s 0-60 on my Gtech going uphill slightly... and that was my 3rd time launching the car... i'm sure in this weather and on a flat road (there's this one i found a bit outside town that i want to try) that i could nail 6.4 or at least 6.5

my 1/4 mile was 15.6 @ 72 mph because i let out of it and coasted... i'm pretty sure i could have hit a 14 if there was enough road and a big truck hadn't pulled out in front of me ( you know how alabama is)
Old 10-31-01, 12:45 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Lance
I'm recalling this from memory (can't seem to find the old issue of Motor Trend from 92 or so when the SC400 was I.C.O.Y.), but I remember the 0-60 time was 6.5...pretty quick, considering that until '95 or so, the cars only made 250HP (they got a slight bump to 260HP in '95 or '96, then made the jump to 290 in '98).

Carclick.com posts a 6.6 0-60 with the older 250HP motor, numbers that I don't believe have been duplicated by the 300, even with the self-shift...but really, who buys a Lexus for acceleration bragging rights?

If you want a 300 with a stick, forget about the Traction Control. The Lexus pamphlet says that it's not available on the SC3 with the manual tranny.

As far as design changes go, I'm fairly certain that there weren't any exterior changes after '97, unless you count paint color choices.

Lance
98 SC400 0-60 in 6.1
95 Supra TT
Well I didn't buy my Lexus for acceleration bragging rights stock anyway
a turbo is going on my baby
Old 10-31-01, 04:39 PM
Legends6spd
Lexus Test Driver

Default Lance, there IS tranction control on Sc300's

Lance, there is TCS on SC300's manuals.
It is an option. I'm certain I have it on mine. Are you POSITIVE there's no TCS?
Old 10-31-01, 11:30 PM
Lance
Rookie

It is an option. I'm certain I have it on mine. Are you POSITIVE there's no TCS?
I'm not an expert on the SC300, so I'm just going by the info in the 1997 Lexus SC brochure (features both the 4 and 3).

In the "Options" fold out section, it states:

*Traction Control System (TRAC) with heated front seats (not available on the SC 300 with manual transmission)*

Legend, you have a '97, right? Are you sure you have a TRAC-OFF button under your radio assembly? If you have heated seats, it should be right beside the buttons for those. Better yet, have you tried spinning the wheels? A little car symbol with wavy lines underneath should start blinking on the left side of the dash pod...let us know.

Lance
98 SC400------for cruising
95 Supra TT---for bruising

Quick Reply: Is the only difference between the SC300 and the SC400 the engine?