SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1996 SC300 Computerized Death Trap (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-08, 04:01 PM
uras300
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a repost. However this just shows that there are some people that loves to complain in any given situation due to their lack of knowledge.. or common sense. She spilled coffee on the cigar lighter socket and complains that it no longer works!? Come on.. how dumb could she be?
Old 08-10-08, 06:03 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Most all cars have an ECU and an alternator, and eventually they will go bad.
Old 08-10-08, 06:15 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My brain hurts from her car-brain-heart-body analogy
Old 08-10-08, 06:41 PM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the article describing sounds like improper maintenance... alternator possibly or serpentine belt going loose...

Going to a lexus service advisor could be stressful when you trying to do repairs for less and they trying to rape you all they can... So they will say crap like it's an old car this problem is common at a particular mileage. Upsale other repairs saying this will go and that will go... Just like when you're financing a new car, and they always trying to sell you extended warranty by saying how much possible problems this car may have...
Old 08-10-08, 06:50 PM
IS3_FTW
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DRFT103
very true. like i said, my alternator died last week at around the same miles as hers, so i was wondering if it was just coincidence.. BUT my battery light kept coming on so i had warning, it was short, but still it was a warning... and i'm sure her battery light was on too.

also, i have a quick question. while replacing my alternator, i also replaced a blown valve cover gasket, while i was taking off the intake manifold, to get to the valve covers, i notice alot of dirty caked up oil all over the inside of the manifold starting from behind the throttle body, all the way to the block, of course i took it all apart and cleaned it out, but what can cause this? is it a bad pcv valve?
it could also be spilled oil, from a mechanic filling the oil and spilling a little bit on the side. They only clean what they see.
Old 08-10-08, 07:03 PM
TLDriver
Lexus Test Driver

I will take this problem over the lovely 02-03 3.2TL issues. HAHAHAHA If all I had to worry about was for it to die while driving I would be ok. But with 4 transmissions gone bad under 85k miles on the car, having to worry that 3rd gear would lock up on the freeway just made it such a joy on getting rid of it.
Old 08-10-08, 07:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 357 Likes on 229 Posts

I think this chick needs a car with a crank handle on the front.
Old 08-10-08, 07:27 PM
YeA 2jZ
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
I think this chick needs a car with a crank handle on the front.
LMAO......
Old 08-11-08, 03:11 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TLDriver
I will take this problem over the lovely 02-03 3.2TL issues. HAHAHAHA If all I had to worry about was for it to die while driving I would be ok. But with 4 transmissions gone bad under 85k miles on the car, having to worry that 3rd gear would lock up on the freeway just made it such a joy on getting rid of it.
That seems to be a common problem with most of the Acura TL and CL owners I know. Though it may be an automatic and may look like a flat surface where ever you park, you should always use the parking/e brakes... You're having 3000+ lbs resting on a couple teeth of a gear, which with hondas is possibly made of aluminum... But going through 4 in under 85k says you're really parking on inclines or dumping transmissions with aggressive driving or just bad transmission serivce...

Last edited by dAng_bAy; 08-11-08 at 03:14 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 03:46 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
That seems to be a common problem with most of the Acura TL and CL owners I know. Though it may be an automatic and may look like a flat surface where ever you park, you should always use the parking/e brakes... You're having 3000+ lbs resting on a couple teeth of a gear, which with hondas is possibly made of aluminum... But going through 4 in under 85k says you're really parking on inclines or dumping transmissions with aggressive driving or just bad transmission serivce...
actually your wrong the design of the tranny is majorly flawed on the cl's and its not the a/t torque convertoer nor is it the the gear its the valves get stuck and just fail on you in general that trans is a pos.......

as for complaining that a dealer is trying to rip you off what did you expect they are a business its not like they are there to be your friend or help you out they provide a service with a warranty and they know most people that go to them are suckers and will believe everything that they will say so they try to get top dollar ....but i mean everyone tries to rip everyone off one way or another .....btw the lady is crazy i wish she tried to sue lexus for it and i was in the court so i could see the case get thrown out faster than my speeding ticket for a 66 in a 65
Old 08-11-08, 05:39 AM
dAng_bAy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cbrasian
actually your wrong the design of the tranny is majorly flawed on the cl's and its not the a/t torque convertoer nor is it the the gear its the valves get stuck and just fail on you in general that trans is a pos.......
It may not be made as well considering CL and TL are not 100% japanese cars, but I have known a person that has driven his 2002 TL conservatively and occasionally floors it when he's pissed drunk, but uses the parking brakes as a habit to 160k before he sold it to get an RX330. NO tranny problems...

Originally Posted by cbrasian
as for complaining that a dealer is trying to rip you off what did you expect they are a business its not like they are there to be your friend or help you out they provide a service with a warranty and they know most people that go to them are suckers and will believe everything that they will say so they try to get top dollar ....but i mean everyone tries to rip everyone off one way or another .....btw the lady is crazy i wish she tried to sue lexus for it and i was in the court so i could see the case get thrown out faster than my speeding ticket for a 66 in a 65
i'm not even complaining, just basically explaining why that irrate woman would be pissed going through repairs even though she was already stressed out from her car, AAA, and calling 911... That's sales... Though they wrote a book about "customers for life..." and preach to their associates of good customer service... It's why now they do follow ups by calling customers and asking how they feel about their recent visit or call to make sure it balances out for the benefit of the company and a stable job industry...

you tell me, if a salesman is so aggresive of selling other services such as warranties, that they try every pitch from saying how inferior the product is and refuses to take no for an answer just to get way more extra grip for standing all day, dealing and spending so much time with uncompromisable and educated consumers that lands small commissions, or not selling squat that their bosses are on their necks. They start calling the customer stupid.... imagine that customer was your brother, sister, father, or mother? what would you do? you gonna sit idley by and explain to your family member, "that's sales...?" Unless that person is that passively stupid or not that close with their family. Out of principle, I would give that salesman an earful even if it isn't my family members...

I know what I've been explaining up there is way left field from the topic now... I don't know if these companies truly explain to who they have sell their products for them for commission that, Yes, there's a percentage of first time buyers, rich people that just don't care to bargain and waste their time that will be easy money, but there's a higher percentage of hard grind money from people that refuse to pay full price or just that more educated about what they're investing into...
Then again they just hire most of these guys hoping that they will get sales from their friends and family...

You being asian, you know damn well it's in our genes to hustle mangoes...
Old 08-11-08, 08:23 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

i'll take 2 of whatever that chic is on...
Old 08-11-08, 08:42 AM
_XpLiCiT_
Lead Lap

o god, stop your crying, its a CAR! Cars are computerized and computers get bugs.
Old 08-11-08, 10:21 AM
cbrasian
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the cl's years i'm talking about are up to the 1999 model cl's they changed it up in 2000 iIbelieve my cl is a 1998 has 110k miles now and the first tranny went out at 57k.... i've swapped it 3 time and I've rebuilt the other two just to have backup....
Originally Posted by dAng_bAy
They start calling the customer stupid.... imagine that customer was your brother, sister, father, or mother? what would you do? you gonna sit idley by and explain to your family member, "that's sales...?" Unless that person is that passively stupid or not that close with their family. Out of principle, I would give that salesman an earful even if it isn't my family members...
well considering I have a contract with a dealership for smogs and from my experience at working at a dealership .... most of those salesman do call you stupid its just behind your back...... and usually the ploy for the warranties is the scare tactic of safety.... and the what if bug.... which was wone of the reasons i left the dealership because I felt they were too crooked for my blood

Last edited by cbrasian; 08-11-08 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-11-08, 12:34 PM
rwdanthony
Lexus Champion

ahh jezz, complicated. i wonder which is true. conspiracies if you ask me.

Quick Reply: 1996 SC300 Computerized Death Trap (merged threads)