SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Just picked up a 96 SC400, my problems...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-06, 09:50 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Just picked up a 96 SC400, my problems...

I just got a 96 SC400 with 81000 on it. The car is in super shape, as it was babied and driven by a business woman till she got a brand new SL500. All the service was done by a Lexus dealer. There are some issues that I want to fix or change.

Here is my list, please toss me your thoughts and ideas. I am open minded.

1) I have a "clunking" type sound coming from the drivers side rear suspension (I assume). I lowered my 92sc400 and the guy didnt tighten the nut on the top of the strut and this is a SIMILAR sound to what I am hearing now. The car is stock height and has all original parts on it. Ideas?

2) The antenna is not telescoping. You can hear the motor going when the radio it turned on, like it trys to get it to go up, but nothing moves. It is the most irritating sound in the world. So loud from inside AND outside the car. Takes the luxury right outta it Can I just stop the motor from trying somehow?

3) The little ash try and lighter area below the stereo will not open fully. The door opens about 1/3rd of the way and that's it. You can't get to the lighter or in the ash try. Anyone have this happen before? I don't want to break the door off trying to get in there. Ideas?

4) The e-brake boot is done. Is this an easy switch? I see an OEM one and a MOMO one offered at LuxuryMods. Anyone use or try either? Thoughts?

5) On my 92 SC400 I didnt have floor mats, this one I do. When I depress the accelerator it doesnt go all the way to the floor (due to the mat) and sometimes I cant get it to downshift when I want it to. It's like the mats are too long or something. They are factory though. Anyone deal with this before? I dont want to take it out, as I would like to keep the car in good shape. Ideas?

6) The back seats, where the back joins the seat, doesnt match up 100%. It's like the back isn't down all the way and touching the seat. I have black interior and once past the leather I see white. It's really not that cute. I tried to just push the back down further but it didnt really move. Am I on the right path? Something else could be wrong??

7) The car came with that silly **** phone in the console. Is it easy to take out? I have not even looked at it yet. Just dont want it eating up MY space. lol.

So thanks for any pointers and ideas I get on these small little pains in my neck.

Last edited by Slinger; 12-18-06 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-18-06, 09:57 PM
93SC300.
Lead Lap

i had the clunking noise in my car also when i bought it. It was in the rear. One of the struts was done. I replaced it, good as new. SOunds like a banging someitmes. The rubber sleave around it was torn. Check urs to see if it is in the same shape as mine was. If so, maybe u might wanna replace the rears.
Old 12-18-06, 10:02 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

1. Bad suspension...have it looked at.
2. SC Antennas suck, get a replacement on ebay...buy two, cause you'll be doing again.
3. Look at it closer...somethings stuck in there. Take it apart if you still have problems
4. El-Searcho
5. Get new Floor mats....you know where the gas goes...right?
6. Remove the seat (Search forums for how) then realign it.
7. Leave it...or get a new wheel (also Search for this one.)
8. Search the forums...all of these questions are answered in there...
9. Post pics of your car, or we find you and take your car away
Old 12-18-06, 10:07 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

Thanks for the replys...

I am going to let the strut noise ride till I replace them all with coilovers. No sense in spending money twice. Thanks though

Here is the picture that was used in the Autotrader ad where I found the car...

Old 12-18-06, 10:10 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Cool Color

Get rid of that bra....One of the best parts of an SC is the nose. Look at how many car companies have copied that front end....With girls and with cars...its better with the bra off!!!
Old 12-18-06, 10:16 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

It was off and the car was detailed and hand waxed at the dealership before I went to pick it up. I wanted it sharp when I rolled back home with it

I HATE bras anyway. They should always be left off.
Old 12-19-06, 12:33 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Lightbulb

looks real nice bro- good buy- remember search is your best friend- youll find vast amounts of information on this site-
Old 12-19-06, 05:09 PM
over40driv
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good color, low miles,minor problems, by the way there is a thread going on antenna replacements, and there is a suspension sub-forum.
Old 12-19-06, 05:36 PM
Slinger
Pole Position

I already ordered a Shark II stuby antenna that I found on here from another thread.

I think I am going to ride out the clunking in the rear for a little bit while I decide on which set of coilovers to purchase, then just change stuff and I would bet the sound goes away.

Thanks for all the replys and help guys!
Old 12-19-06, 07:51 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

dont be afraid to post though bc people will tell you to search though

if you feel like its a vague question just post that you have searched and put up a few links to similar things you found but with no luck and people will be glad to help ya

trust me, i got flamed for it a few times lol
Old 12-20-06, 10:53 AM
Slinger
Pole Position

I joined this site when I had my first SC, wrecked it, and finally got a new one a few days ago (a year later). So I am still trying to learn the site.

Thanks to all those that reply and DONT flame me. Give a rookie a break from time to time
Old 12-20-06, 11:41 AM
hershsc400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by neurocity
Cool Color

Get rid of that bra....One of the best parts of an SC is the nose. Look at how many car companies have copied that front end....With girls and with cars...its better with the bra off!!!
the whole reason i fell in love with the sc; clean sc good find

Last edited by hershsc400; 12-20-06 at 11:48 AM.