SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Burnt out needle/dash repair...

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-02, 02:02 PM
jimmit
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I did notice that ever since this started happening a little over a year ago. From the tip of the tach and speedo needles about I'd say 1/4" there is a 1/4" sections that usually doesnt lit up on a start on a hot day(especially after using the car and letting it sit and turning it back on again after a little while). If I turn the intensity down a little bit it looks fine and after turning it back up it will slowly die out. I noticed if I start the car on a cool day(about 77 degrees) in the morning inside the gargage the needles will look fine. Nice and bright even with the intensity down a little bit. After a little bit of driving(maybe about 2 to 5min) the needles start to go dark in those 1/4" sections and normally dont light up again unless I have the intensity down.
Old 10-13-02, 04:47 PM
mjr24
Lexus Test Driver

I agree that there might some kind of cap messing up.
My speedo and tach are completely out (although sometimes they flicker on)....but my gas and temp. needles are perfect. Why would those 2 be perfect but the other be completely out? We really need to look into this more.
Old 10-13-02, 10:01 PM
stock300
Driver

Here's my latest thoughts on the flickering needles: The resistance of the luminescent material in the needles increases with age. The higher the temperature, the higher the resistance.
The needle is segmented into several LED's. As the segments get hot, they reach a cut-off point where they will no longer emit light (LED). Eventually, they cool down and light up again hence the flickering. The cooler the temp. outside, the longer that they stay on. I'll talk to my LED expert tomorow but I think that the only fix as per a comment a while back from one of the members is a replacement.
Old 10-14-02, 03:57 AM
asfaltsurfer1
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by stock300
Here's my latest thoughts on the flickering needles: The resistance of the luminescent material in the needles increases with age. The higher the temperature, the higher the resistance.
The needle is segmented into several LED's. As the segments get hot, they reach a cut-off point where they will no longer emit light (LED). Eventually, they cool down and light up again hence the flickering. The cooler the temp. outside, the longer that they stay on. I'll talk to my LED expert tomorow but I think that the only fix as per a comment a while back from one of the members is a replacement.
Yep, I think you got it about right. Also when I removed my needles I noticed the LED's were cracked. This may be due to exteme heat or cold. I am currently working on a fix that WILL work but LED's with the required voltage and dimensions are hard to find.
Old 10-25-02, 10:41 PM
nextlevelcoupe
Lexus Test Driver

Default dashboard lighting plus!!!!

you guys need to check this website out!!!!!.............................................www.lexusdash.com
Attached Thumbnails Burnt out needle/dash repair...-lexus-95-019.jpg  
Old 10-25-02, 11:02 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally good info, nextlevelcoupe. so who's running the site? maybe he's a member here. I can't find the price but i'm sure one of you guys will mention about groupbuy in future

anyways, i wasn't sure about this:
Can you repair Non functioning needles? a. NO we only repair the lighting systems. The needles MUST be mechanically functioning before we will work on them." However if you call ahead we may have spare parts to be able to replace the burned out module but we do not normally stock replacement parts."
I dont know if dead needles are Non functioning needle or still functioning needle..

hope he can join here
Old 10-26-02, 02:04 AM
Jmai22
Lexus Fanatic

Default Re: dashboard lighting plus!!!!

Originally posted by nextlevelcoupe
you guys need to check this website out!!!!!.............................................www.lexusdash.com
VERY COOL

Last edited by Jmai22; 10-26-02 at 02:12 AM.
Old 10-26-02, 03:03 AM
sks
Driver

how much $$
Old 10-26-02, 11:39 AM
Bladez42598
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

those needles are from lexusdash.com....manaray what place is this that your talking about.....and by the way those blue needles can be done in any color (red,green,yellow,white,blue) they guy isn't ready to start taking orders yet those were just his that he has finished. But, price is going to be around 500 bucks for a all needles replaced plus parts so your looking at around 550 per dash.

manaray get back to me as to where this $175 dollar place is, I would definitly be interested.

peace
vinnie
Old 10-26-02, 08:51 PM
EmeraldLexuSC3
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool Finally!!

This is great news!!!!
Especially having a choice of colors. How cool is that.
It sounds like they will be taking orders soon. I am courious about the price. But hey, if I can afford the LED tail lights, I can afford this. It's all good!
Old 10-29-02, 09:28 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The $175 was from another place that would only FIX the stock setup...they don't do custom setups...

I have emailed Lexusdash to get info...he's only one guy so let's not pack his email box with the same questions! I will post info as I get it.

Right now, he's not ready to take any order yet. He's still working on everything. He said the cost will be below $600 and he's trying his best to make it even lower...but don't expect it to be $100. I figure it will be around $500. He can do certain colors (not just any) and he's working on adjustable brightnesses.