SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Burnt out needle/dash repair...

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-01, 03:10 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Burnt out needle/dash repair...

Hey, did you guys ever find an effect/inexpensive way to fix the dead need/dash light problem?

If not, I may have found a source that repairs them...I met someone who works for a performance speedo place (calibrations, etc. for race cars, cop cars, etc.) and he said he had a buddy in Los Angeles that can do it...but you have to send the cluster in (or if you're local, just come by).

Let me know if you guys are interested...
Old 11-03-01, 06:44 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

manaray, I'm interested. Do you know how much they'd charge?

if it's expensive, I have in mind two ideas.

1. I got the paint for needle that glows in the dark but it must be under the black lights. It doesn't work without black lights. so I'm thinking somehow install the black light around the gauge/dash area but I can't think where I should get power sources for it. anyway, this is how it works....when I turn on the head light, the black light also lights up. or just make it always on.
($3 paint + $?? for black light)

2. I also got the tape it glows in the dark. This one doesnt have to be under the black lights. but couldn't find red/orange I could only find Yellowish tape. but I works really good at night. If put them on 4 needles at the same time, it should be that ugly. :P ($5 solution)

getting original needle the best way but can't find them! I was gonna ask around people in Japan but their Soarer has ditital speed meter...they dont have needle problem like us

I like get some other ideas too
let us know.
Old 11-03-01, 09:35 AM
matt7184
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get any color bulb you want (or leave the stock ones in) and just paint the needles with gunsight paint (Ive seen green, red, and orange at most places).
Old 11-03-01, 07:45 PM
007lexus
Driver

Hey manaray,
I'm interested. I leave near the LA area. Please contact me off the list.
Old 11-03-01, 07:59 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

matt, do you know how long will gunsight paint last?
Old 11-04-01, 01:57 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, DON'T QUOTE ME ON THIS, but the my buddy said he *THINKS* it was only $150-$175. I might be able to get a better price if I bring it in ("Studio" discount)...
Old 11-04-01, 08:52 AM
matt7184
Pole Position

Originally posted by Taka
matt, do you know how long will gunsight paint last?
Do you mean how long they will glow? Most will glow for about 4-6 hours with one minute of exposure of light. You need to have a bulb in your dash anyways, so they should last longer.

If you mean how long will it stay on the needle, Im not sure since I havent did mine yet (going to Christmas time, when I have time). People using them on handguns and paintball guns have not have had problems for years, in worse conditions than your needles will ever be in. For ~$10 to paint your needles, I dont think it is a bad price at all.

My uncle owns an art store, so Im going to see what kind of paint they have which may glow better.
Old 11-04-01, 10:21 AM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

hey matt, this gunsight paint sounds good to me.
I found this site has this paint http://www.brightsights.com/products.html
Is it similar product you are talking about?

Last edited by Taka; 11-04-01 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-04-01, 05:00 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

That is the type of paint I am talking about. You probably would have the same results with normal glow in the dark paint too. I really want to use Tritium paint, but I cant find it for sale. In a few days, I should have a few types of paint to try out and see. Normal paint may be fine too, since you will have a bulb in the back of the dash, providing light anyways.
Old 11-05-01, 12:19 PM
Andymi
Driver School Candidate

Any more word about replacing the needles.

The lit needles is one of the cool things bout the car, so even though its not a cheap fix, I would rather do it the right way.
Old 11-08-01, 06:37 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

i just chaged the gauge cluster backlight bulbs so
I also tried to put "glows in dark tape" on needles that I was talking about.
It doesn't work! I need more lights to exposure on it. :P
For example, something like http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Auto~...46-1-1-1-1.cfm
or
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Auto~...64-1-1-1-1.cfm

"since you will have a bulb in the back of the dash, providing light anyways."
do you think they provide enough light for paint?
let us know how it goes when you get your paint.
Old 11-12-01, 06:04 PM
matt7184
Pole Position

Im not gunna have time till Christmas time to take out the gauges, so Ill just try the paint with a low amount of light. Ill let you know how it goes when I do it.
Old 11-13-01, 10:15 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Originally posted by Taka
i just chaged the gauge cluster backlight bulbs so
I also tried to put "glows in dark tape" on needles that I was talking about.
It doesn't work! I need more lights to exposure on it. :P
For example, something like http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Auto~...46-1-1-1-1.cfm
or
http://www.xtremewhite.com/ORD-Auto~...64-1-1-1-1.cfm

"since you will have a bulb in the back of the dash, providing light anyways."
do you think they provide enough light for paint?
let us know how it goes when you get your paint.
I don't think this idea will work due, to just like a watch. It has some luminiscent paint on the dials right. After less than a half an hour or so. The glow-in-the-dark effect doesn't work anymore unless, it is exposed to a large amount of light. The light behind the dials or in the gauges thmeselves have that amount of light but, in front of the dials. There isn't that much being emitted. Also, you will not notice the luminiscent effect due, to the lights not being turned off.

Now, if the bulbs were emitting something like a blacklight. Ir may actually react with the luminiscent paint depending but, something on the needles. It will not work due to the paint/tape covering the actual light and the light on the gauges. The gauges will not emit light on the needle due, to the needle actually being on top of the dials and gauges. Something has to be emitting light on top of the needle itself. What I am saying is that the needle emits light and covering it with paint/tape will hinder your light source even, if it is a blacklight bulb.
Old 11-13-01, 11:21 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

black sc, you are exactly right.
and the cover is slightly tinted so tape/paint on needle hardly expose to the light from outside.

I'm testing something else now. I'll post how it goes. and pics (i got digicam )
Old 11-17-01, 02:28 AM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Default Needles

I paid 63 bucks for a new temperature meter at my local dealer. I know em all and they give me a break, but they're supposed to retail for like 80, no more. If you can, install it yourself, I did mine this evening and it was pretty easy. I took time to clean out the gauge visor and get all the dust off everything, so it took about 2 hours.
You just pop the screw caps on the top of the bezel, literally pull out the bottom bezel with the light meter, pull those two screws out (don't drop em in there, it's a pain!) and the whole assembly comes apart easy. Be sure those screws go back in nicely, they do the contacts for the meters.
Don't get stuck paying 400 bucks to the dealer!

Quick Reply: Burnt out needle/dash repair...