SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Are you Authentic, OEM, or Fake?
Authentic
29.11%
OEM
54.01%
Knock Off
16.88%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Are you Authentic - OEM - Fake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-07, 05:55 PM
peanuthead
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

some knock off's are good, some are bad....either way, i would never get a knock off of anything
Old 01-05-07, 08:43 PM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

I prefer knock offs. I don't mind spending the time to make it fit correctly because nothing is impossible. And I don't have to kick my self in the @$$ when I break it drifting at the circuit.

Knock offs are cheap and work just as great. Besides, I can use my money saved on more important parts like, lsd, and suspension that actually make a difference drifting.
Old 01-05-07, 09:25 PM
sc1jzgte
Pole Position

hmmm OEM 97+ bumper, AUTHENTIC vertex lip, KNOCK OFF vertex skirts, guess im all confused here well i think if you see something you like and is worth it to you, you do it and you do it for you, thats what it comes down to, if at the end of your day you can look back at your car and say your happy then you have succeeded
Old 01-05-07, 09:54 PM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc1jzgte
hmmm OEM 97+ bumper, AUTHENTIC vertex lip, KNOCK OFF vertex skirts, guess im all confused here well i think if you see something you like and is worth it to you, you do it and you do it for you, thats what it comes down to, if at the end of your day you can look back at your car and say your happy then you have succeeded

Well said.
Old 01-05-07, 10:44 PM
kaotiq
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can't really put a value on what is more important for each individual I guess. How we value our money and spending is very subjective. Some ppl love the fact that they have a fake LV/Gucci wallet for $10 and it looks like the real thing and almost as good... quality wise. While some love the fact that they have the real thing and believe in paying for the quality.

Either way, fake or real, they all provide the same function. However, there are noticible differences and minute details that the fake stuff cannot provide. Quality, a lot of times, is lacking. So you also do get what you pay for. An example, my grandma has a LV purse from the 70s that she still carries and it's still in great shape. It has yet to fall apart. My friend bought a fake LV purse and within 9 months, when we were out to dinner, the handle snapped.

It's also the types of ppl out there. This is a very touchy subject, so I will only give examples of the types of characters that I have encountered over the years without stepping on anyone's toes here. I have met guys who brag about having fake watches, wallets, shirts, and other sorts of ridiculously obvious fake things. Some of those guys try to pass it off as if they have money and etc. They want ppl to perceive them for something that they're obviously not.... AKA a poser AKA the $30,000 millionaire syndrome kinda thing. Then I have met guys who have the real stuff and do not flaunt it... the closet ballers. Then you have the ****** who have the money and will want the whole world to know that they have it.

Personally, when it comes to car modding, I've always believe in paying for the real thing. I truly dislike fake kits and wheels simply for their quality factor, not the $$$ factor. The fake Vertex kits have obvious flaws and poor quality after close inspection. However, if there is a really great knockoff body kit that is just as durable and identical as the real thing, then why not? I would think about going for it also.
Old 01-06-07, 12:29 AM
jdmjzz30
Lead Lap

I'm not sure how the quality of fake Vertex kits are in the states but here in Japan, They make really good quality Vertex Replica's.
Old 01-06-07, 01:37 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

wow... this thread didn't go like I thought it would...but I love the insight some of the OG's and my brothers from oversseas have....you guys are all cool.. I don't care what they say about you in the GS forum ....lol lol
Old 01-06-07, 03:18 AM
sean9975
Lead Lap

a kit is a kit, as long as you get it installed properly. ( and your parts aren,t flapping in the wind)...lol
Old 01-06-07, 06:46 AM
Tony95sc4
Banned scammer

honestly i think bodykits are played out. jus some flush rims with a nice drop is good enough for me. if i do get a kit it would be th 97 conversion..authentic of course
Old 01-06-07, 09:29 AM
Deceptik1
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jdmjzz30
I'm not sure how the quality of fake Vertex kits are in the states but here in Japan, They make really good quality Vertex Replica's.
That's what I thought. I always suspected a lot of Soarers were not rockin real Vertex just nice replicas.
Old 01-06-07, 09:50 AM
96gti2.0t
Lead Lap

i dont think it matters much which kit you get but i think the oem 97+ stuff looks just as good if not better then most of the kits out there.
Old 01-06-07, 10:14 AM
atekt
Lexus Test Driver

I voted oem, oem as in 97+ body. But if I could fork out enough cash for an authentic kit and paint job, I would probably do it....
Old 01-06-07, 10:56 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

i have all 3.

1 bomex front bumper.
1 do luck knock off
oem with custom lip

i fancy the oem for drift events they are durable.
Old 01-06-07, 01:19 PM
roo
Lexus Test Driver

Authentic all the way. I'm about quality...

Ethics-wise, Even if they could make a decent-fitting knock off, I would never buy it. It steals $ and exclusivity owed to the creator of the design. I've personally been the victim of IP theft several times and had to fight to be compensated for it. It's not just with car parts...think about it, if you created something, anything....and then someone buys one, sends it to a third world country to knock it off and becomes rich off it, how would you feel? My mamma taught me it's not right to steal =P so I would never give $$ to anyone selling anything stolen.
Old 01-06-07, 01:57 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Lexus did it in 97 as good as it'll be done.
Agreed, there are a few kits and cars done on here that I really like. but most I could do without.

Quick Reply: Are you Authentic - OEM - Fake?