SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Are you Authentic, OEM, or Fake?
Authentic
29.11%
OEM
54.01%
Knock Off
16.88%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Are you Authentic - OEM - Fake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-07, 02:49 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think that since u drive a nice car, u shouldnt put cheap **** on it. Get a nice car, get nice parts.
Old 01-06-07, 08:23 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I were to buy a kit then, yes to authentic! I love the OEM parts. Nothing can beat the quality.
Old 01-06-07, 10:07 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by HELLAFLUSH
If I were to buy a kit then, yes to authentic! I love the OEM parts. Nothing can beat the quality.
True. If i were to get a kit i wouldnt want to hook it up with some sh%t. The real stuff gets my vote in the long run
Old 01-06-07, 10:25 PM
rsantiago
Pole Position

Nothing beats OEM 95+ look.
Old 01-07-07, 02:26 AM
bigmalik00
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by roo
Authentic all the way. I'm about quality...

Ethics-wise, Even if they could make a decent-fitting knock off, I would never buy it. It steals $ and exclusivity owed to the creator of the design. I've personally been the victim of IP theft several times and had to fight to be compensated for it. It's not just with car parts...think about it, if you created something, anything....and then someone buys one, sends it to a third world country to knock it off and becomes rich off it, how would you feel? My mamma taught me it's not right to steal =P so I would never give $$ to anyone selling anything stolen.
that is an example of great ethics...but what about big business' stealing from the consumer. If the same product can be produced by someone else for a fraction of the price what is the huge mark up for? there is always a possibility that some of these manufactors patent the kits first or stole the look from a young designer who wasn't business savy. THat would have to explain why most of the kits for the SC a so close in looks.

Last edited by bigmalik00; 01-07-07 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-07-07, 06:52 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

im still oem because i dont know if to if to keep it oem with the 97+ bodystyle or put a kit .for the bodykits ,who cares if its a knock off or authentic .they are both fiberglas .you pull in a gas station too hard they are both gonna crack or break .now if the authentic was polyurethene it would of been a different story .
Old 01-07-07, 07:03 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bigmalik00
that is an example of great ethics...but what about big business' stealing from the consumer. If the same product can be produced by someone else for a fraction of the price what is the huge mark up for? there is always a possibility that some of these manufactors patent the kits first or stole the look from a young designer who wasn't business savy. THat would have to explain why most of the kits for the SC a so close in looks.
very true

they can mark up the price beyond reason if they are the only one doing it.

but u also have to give the money deserved to the original creator for their ideas and hard work on coming up with the kit. it's not really a question that can be easily answered and falls in the gray area.

it's just like new medicines... if a cure for aids comes out should the guy who made it be rewarded with big profits or should it be spread to everyone cheap so they can all be cured... either way ur screwing over someone no matter what margin it is in either case
Old 01-08-07, 02:31 PM
pimpmobile
Rookie

Interesting thread. I just want to let everyone know that I respect everyones opinion.

as for me......

Authenic-expensive. durable fiberglass. great fitment.
OEM-polyurethane.
Replicas-affordable to most of us. some minor fitment issue.

I personally don't recommend replicas (with bad fitment) lol. if you can get the darn thing to fit P-R-O-P-E-R-L-Y then I dont see why not...

As for replicas quality...it's really not that bad (depending on where you get em from. Version Select seem to do just fine for some of us)

It should only matter to you. It's your ride. As long as youre happy with the outcome then its all gravy.

Last edited by pimpmobile; 01-08-07 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-08-07, 02:48 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I was pretty impressed with that Flex Fiberglass stuff on ebay, sells for like half of the original kit or something. What are your thoughts on that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SC300...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 01-08-07, 03:48 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RedPhoenix
I was pretty impressed with that Flex Fiberglass stuff on ebay, sells for like half of the original kit or something. What are your thoughts on that.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SC300...QQcmdZViewItem
looks like boo boo to me
Old 01-09-07, 01:08 AM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

doesn't make sense to me to spend 2k on a body kit when you can almost get another SC for that price.
Old 01-09-07, 06:08 AM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ChrisES
doesn't make sense to me to spend 2k on a body kit when you can almost get another SC for that price.
you right with that dont make any sense at all .but there is tons of guys on here with knockoffs i wonder why the poll is so low .if i had a knock off of my car i wont be ashamed to say it .i just dont see the sense in buying a $2200 bodykit when all it need is one rackoon to destroy it .my cars are our everyday driver so if i do put a body kit its gonna be a knock off .i can do alot more with that money im spending for a authentic kit.
Old 01-09-07, 11:11 AM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

I have the 97+ update on my car (partially complete, lol) and that's pretty much the only "kit" I'd ever truly want. If I had to get a kit I'd get whatever met my standards of quality while also being at a price I'm willing to pay...with that said I'd try to find a good deal on a Wald or an AC kit, but that's about it. I hate fitment issues with ANYTHING.
Old 01-09-07, 02:22 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mikeloc24
I have the 97+ update on my car (partially complete, lol) and that's pretty much the only "kit" I'd ever truly want. If I had to get a kit I'd get whatever met my standards of quality while also being at a price I'm willing to pay...with that said I'd try to find a good deal on a Wald or an AC kit, but that's about it. I hate fitment issues with ANYTHING.
exactly, well put

i want an AC kit bc it enhances what is already there.
also its bolt on and guaranteed to fit perfect... i feel the same way about fitment mikeloc, whether its cars or anything else in the world...

if im spending a lot of money on something ( over 300$) i want it to be guaranteed to fit perfect and not stress me out anymore then the hole in my wallet
Old 01-09-07, 02:44 PM
Solarian
Driver School Candidate

I believe in paying however much a product is worth. With things like body kits, knockoffs are fine by me. With wheels, authentic well respected brands only (Rays, BBS, OZ Racing, etc..) because I don't trust others to do it right. I don't believe in paying for brand, I believe in paying for materials and workmanship.
When Vertex puts THIS much (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK51zz7jwNE&eurl=) work into their body kits, I'll pay the price tag they ask for.

Quick Reply: Are you Authentic - OEM - Fake?