SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Body Kit or Good Drop???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-07, 09:27 PM
HELLAFLUSH
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah just get the coilovers first, you wont regret it.
Old 01-22-07, 09:28 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by vince1128
i personally think the 97+ looks better then the body kits, so i say do that and lower it some and it'd look awesome...
Originally Posted by Idrewfelix
Drop the car, and get an OEM kit.

Dropped + vertex = Death

I repainted my front bumper 4 times so far.

i drive in new york, and i mean through everything in new york! drop her first cause like others have said it will look real bad if you get a bodykit but dont drop it for clearance purposes. after the drop you can opt for a 97kit, out of experience it is the most road friendly compared to body kits, and once your dropped you will still have problems. just drive careful! gluck
Old 01-22-07, 09:38 PM
TRD_Power
Lead Lap

Received 78 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by HmoobSC300
I have teins. I recommend staying away from them.
What kinda Teins do you have? I got the CST.
Old 01-23-07, 09:19 AM
Turbocoop
Rookie

I have the same problem with the roads and speedbumps, I am planning on getting a urethane body kit from ebay so I can scrape it all I want and not care. I usually hate body kits but I found a nice subtle one and I cant really afford a 97+ conversion or Id go with that
Old 01-23-07, 09:31 AM
chingpo05
Lead Lap

the car doesn't look bad now without a bodykit, so get the drop first IMO
Old 01-23-07, 10:59 AM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
so if i install the coilovers at a shop would it be easy to adjust the coilovers by myself? as in under an hour or so?

bc if ur scraping with no body kit then this could be a real problem i dont want my daily and only car to not be able to go over speed bumps...

i think im gonna put on some HKS RS Coilovers, they look like the best option as of now. i guess from there i can see how much room i have to work with right? just want to know with those coilovers will it be easy to move them up and down to see if i can fit a kit afterwards?
Well it will take more than 1 hr to do it PROPERLY. It's alot more work than just counting the amount of turns you do up or down. I have coil-overs on my Supra(MKIII) and it's a *****. I have to take measurements of all 4 corners. Then remove the wheels. Then move the hight adjusters... Then reinstall the wheels and measure agian. Till the 4 corners match to what i want. I WOULD NOT suggest doing it on an everyday basis. People Get lazy. I get lazy just pumping gas. SO i suggest to pick a hight that you comfortable at and stay with it. As for the Tein's I say get em. They are cheaper than the HKS ones. And they are just as good. Well not as good for track but the street is good. And HKS if you do not pick the right ones. They blow in the street but handle nice on the track. So do alot of homework/research and do it right the first time. TAKE YOUR TIME !

Originally Posted by Lucky SC
even after my senior year is over in may im either going to Alabama, Clemson, or Florida State i haven't decided yet, and for all i kno it could be a speed bump minefield at any of them lol
Move to cali...USC/UCLA...
Old 01-23-07, 11:28 AM
bunta
Pole Position

go low or go home

Last edited by bunta; 01-23-07 at 11:35 AM.
Old 01-23-07, 11:31 AM
rykwebb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah I have the same problem, i have a vertex but no coilovers or 19s yet, both of which i was planning on getting, but now maybe im thinking the 19s will be enough, i doubt it though. Im going to drop no more than an inch. I still havent found a pair of teins yet, and still havent found any wheels yet, like sc400red95 said, take your time and youll get exactly what you want. I use a rule, if im spending over a thousand dollars, i wait 30 days. Try it out.
Old 01-23-07, 01:09 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Please take your time. DO NOT RUSH. I did that when i built my Supra's engine. I rushed the whole thing. It came out great but i wasted about 1.5k on BS. I changed pistons sizes 2 different times when the motor was about to be put back together. Take your time. Anything that will make or break your car deserves to have alot of planing time. So what if you get a body kit and not lowered. As long as the final product looks DARN good. Then it's worth acouple peoples comments about how dumb it looks not lowered or vise versa. But if you can't wait to get either or. Then just buy one then wait to install it. Untill you get both... or whatever way you plan on going.
Old 01-23-07, 01:37 PM
KayGee
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Sc400Red95
Well it will take more than 1 hr to do it PROPERLY. It's alot more work than just counting the amount of turns you do up or down. I have coil-overs on my Supra(MKIII) and it's a *****. I have to take measurements of all 4 corners. Then remove the wheels. Then move the hight adjusters... Then reinstall the wheels and measure agian. Till the 4 corners match to what i want. I WOULD NOT suggest doing it on an everyday basis. People Get lazy. I get lazy just pumping gas. SO i suggest to pick a hight that you comfortable at and stay with it. As for the Tein's I say get em. They are cheaper than the HKS ones. And they are just as good. Well not as good for track but the street is good. And HKS if you do not pick the right ones. They blow in the street but handle nice on the track. So do alot of homework/research and do it right the first time. TAKE YOUR TIME !

Thank you for posting an honest real-world explanation. It is not always clear to the novice (like me) that when people say that coilovers are adjustable, it isn't just a matter of pressing a button. Definately not something that can be done on the fly.
Old 01-23-07, 01:49 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sc400Red95

well all the high performance SC owners here tell me that the teins are a joke and make a crappy product, they say a lot of people will tell you they are good bc they are a cheap coilover and many people who just got their first coilovers buy them and have nothing to prepare it to.

supposedly the Hipermax RS runs pretty good on street and is way better at handling then the Tein's, i was gonna get the Tein CS, but i dunno... i keep hearing such contradicting things.

and hell no i'm not goin to USC, i might live in Cali when i'm out of college, but no no no to USC, the south is where all the big dogs play football and the parties are at, toughest division out there
Old 01-23-07, 02:45 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

Tein's are both good and bad. The set of TEIN's we get here in america are made for american streets. MEANING they are softer than there japanese counter-parts. So when people say that teins are bad. They are either talking about them on the track. Or they had a major malifunction(spelling).Yes personally the teins are too soft for the track. But are soft enought to make them driveable to american streets. As afor HKS. They have 1 line for american and japanese markets. I believe the RS won't hold up to the streets of america. I have been comparing these 2 companies for many years now. I have a set of Tein SS with EDFC for my daily drive. And for track use i just stick with them. As for drag racing i use the HKS Hipermaxx just for the rear. and the front i use eibach and tokico blues. The HKS are alittle hard for the day to day. And have seen they blow on just a day to day.
Let's face it. Either way your going to get both. So the real title should have been " Which to get first. Body kit or Coil-overs".

Last edited by Sc400Red95; 01-23-07 at 02:47 PM. Reason: at work not thinking straight
Old 01-23-07, 05:21 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

i dont plan on doing a lot of track racing, atleast not for awhile

so would the Tein CS be my best bet? i want a noticeable difference in handling though you know but to keep driveability which you say is not an issue here.
Old 01-23-07, 05:25 PM
HmoobSC300
Driver

Originally Posted by TRD_Power
What kinda Teins do you have? I got the CST.

I have theTein Flex. came with the car from previous owner.
Old 01-23-07, 05:35 PM
Sc400Red95
Driver

if you want handling. Just change the bushings to poly... that will make the suspension handle alot better. But i would suggest Tein for the street.

Quick Reply: Body Kit or Good Drop???