SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Aftermarket stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-01 | 07:07 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Default Aftermarket stereo?

I wanted to put a new deck in my SC-400, but I can't find a wiring harness for Lexus, or a pocket kit. I tried stereo shops and the Lexus dealership, but neither had one. The Lexus tech. told me they don't sell harnesses for Lexus cars, that Toyota parts won't work, and that it isn't possible to put an aftermarket unit in, but the installer at a stereo shop told me that he's seen them installed before. I plan on using all aftermarket stuff (CDP, amps, components, wiring). Please help!
Old 11-07-01 | 07:12 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

the lexus stereo area is 2.5 din.... which means you can put in 2 single din units in there or just one double din. you have to purchase an extra wood piece or something like that to cover the extra bottom part. computerwiz told me that you can use the toyota wiring harness, but modify it a bit. it's in one of these posts. but as far as modification goes, it's possible to add anything into your lexus sc. i have added a tv, amps, and dvd. etc etc. anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
Old 11-08-01 | 06:10 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Aftermarket stereo?

Originally posted by lex400sc
The Lexus tech. told me they don't sell harnesses for Lexus cars, that Toyota parts won't work, and that it isn't possible to put an aftermarket unit in, but the installer at a stereo shop told me that he's seen them installed before.
Ya know that's kinda scary... either the Lexus tech really has no idea what he's talking about and therefore SHOULDN'T be a tech...

or he's been told to never inform Lexus owners that you can use stuff OTHER than pure Lexus parts. I really can't think of another manufacturer that has ever said that about their cars and it makes them look stupid. IMO.

Yep you can put anything in the car. You can use the toyota wiring harness ONLY for the plugs...DO NOT follow their wiring diagram, all the wires are different. You'd end up frying your new deck. Get a voltmeter and test the wires to figure out the correct ones, or just have a stereo shop install it.

As for the factory volume ****...that will be useless adn will have to stay on the console. Of course...I've modified mine so when I push it, it opens a solenoid that blows frozen CO2 onto the intercooler. Well I've got the button part done...I can't figure out where to mount the CO2 tank yet, and what size nozzle to spray with.

SR
Old 11-08-01 | 08:08 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks guys. Do you know where (either magazine, b&m shop, or internet) they sell a din kit for the 2.5 din slot? I can't seem to find a place. Of course I could always build my own if I had to.
Old 11-08-01 | 08:10 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

You're gonna have to build it...not that hard ...good luck!!
Old 11-08-01 | 09:11 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Yep...you'll be building one. You could always install a single din stereo, then install stuff like gauges...s-afc, etc in the space. That's what I did with the space. I think next I'm relocating that stuff into the dash itself, and I'm gonna put a 7" touchscreen flush into the console. That would just be neat.

SR
Old 11-08-01 | 09:58 AM
importtoys
Pole Position

I think someone should try importing the Japan spec dash with the stock tv screen...hmmm youd have to speak Japanese but it would be cool!!!
We have a 6.8inch monitor in our dash so that it would look 'kinda' like the JDM version. If you're not trying to go this route you should be able to get blank ABS sheets from your local stereo shop.

...I think that a 7 will indeed fit
should look really good too since the have widescreen viewing as well as standard screen.
Old 11-08-01 | 12:16 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

In case you haven't noticed no one makes aftermarket stuff for our Lex's. That goes for stereo equipment also. No one makes an 2.5 to 2 din adapter plate, wiring harness, etc. It isn't really that much of a problem. You can hook up an aftermarket headunit without a wiring harness without to much trouble.

1. Using a voltmeter or test light start measuring voltages across each wire that originally ran into the factory stereo (do this without the keys in the ignition)
2. The wire that you find with voltage going across it without the car on is hooked directly to the battery. This battery lead is hooked to the headunit for things like memory settings and the clock. It always supplies power to the headunit
3. Turn the key to the acc (accessory) position and test the remaining wires to find another with voltage going across it turn the keys to the off position and if the voltage drops to 0, then this is the main headunit power lead.

This is all that is required to install a headunit in your SC. if you are trying to wire the headunit to things like the factory speakers it gets a lot more difficult.

Also, I didn't even try to do it since I don't listen to the radio, but has anyone found a way to wire the antenna so it goes up and down when you turn on the radio???
Old 11-08-01 | 05:06 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

ryan....for the antenna...tehre's TWO wires that you need to power. Look back in the trunk at the power antenna plug. There's two wires...i think one is blue the other is striped with something and blue. You'll find the same two wires behind the headunit in the factory harness. Just connect BOTH of those to the ANT+ on the new deck, and you're good.

Took me a while to figure that one out.

SR