SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Any info on converting auto to manual on a sc400 V8

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-01, 03:37 PM
BLOWN_SC400
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any info on converting auto to manual on a sc400 V8

Does anyone know anything about converting auto to manual on a sc400 V8 ? Has anyone done it ?
Old 11-10-01, 04:57 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

yes, I have a good bit of info, there is one company that has the parts for it in Australia. I have a list of all the parts and prices. Conversion parts will be around 600-700 dollars. You have to buy a supra transmission for it. E-mail me your fax number if you want the product list or if you have any other questions just email me at abutler696@aol.com. Later, Adam
Old 11-11-01, 07:12 PM
scott
Driver School Candidate

Hey BLOWN i posted the same question not too long ago.... auto's just don't do the car justice.

Apparently it can be done but i didn't get any real convincing evidence:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=19773
Old 11-11-01, 10:25 PM
abutler696
Lead Lap

well, I am still planning on converting mine to a manual next year. I just wonder what the 0-60 time would be on it then....if it's doing 6.9 now, I'm guessing maybe 5.9 with the conversion? What do yall think. It would be rare and fast, just as I like it. .............

And Scott, it can be done, I will be the evidence of that next year.....I promise.
Old 11-12-01, 04:06 AM
UZZ32
Pole Position

By Robert Hayden (Rhayden) on Saturday, November 10, 2001 - 11:52 am:
http://lexus.australia.as/

I have been well and truly down this road. I have complete info on bell housing, adapter plates, clutch, pressure plate, clutch master and slave cylinders all to fit the V8. Iain is correct in that the tailshaft must be modified to fit, but mechanically I have it sorted out. Even down to the part numbers required for the TT manual interior trim parts to fit into the V8 with a stick shift.

Now that the excitement factor has increased, after two years of research I finally gave up due to the complexities of the ECU and it's dependance on feedback from the gearbox, abs system and other sources.

To keep the car operating as it should, a really large number of signals would be required to be replicated to feed similar and correct data to the ECU.

If the ECU was removed and an aftermarket control unit fitted (like a MOTEC M48 - sequential management unit) the manual would be fine, but at what cost. No cruise control, speed sensitive power steering, integrated suspension controller etc.. and the list goes on and on.

There is a company in Australia who fits the Lexus V8 into an open topped sports car, with a 5 and 6 speed Supra box behind it, but no frills, no integrated componentry. If you were building a race car and didn't require the luxury, refinement, and electronic marvelry that the Soarer excells in, then a manual transmission bolted up to your V8 could be done very easilly. Unfortunately, for me at least, this is not the case.

end quote

I also think only the TT's came with an LSD - my active has a regular diff
Old 11-25-01, 10:28 AM
SCV8
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have another vehicle(not a Toyota)that has a manual trans and an auto ECM;the only changes required there were1)a vehicle speed signal to the ECM,and 2)the addition of large resistors where the shifter solenoids were in the trans wiring(this is an OBDII ECM,so that may not be needed,depending on the year you're dealing with).
You(BLOWNSC400)mentioned that you were having some issues with the blower install,are they electronic,fuel/spark,or mechanical?
Was wondering if there was something that you'd discovered that made an installation like that a real hassle.I wouldn't mind a Procharger,aftercooler,and a set of Simple Digital Systems MAPboost/rpm controlled fuel add-on injectors on my SC,but don't want too much messing around either.
Thanks