SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

im so dumb, but not as dumb as this locksmith!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 12:15 PM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im so dumb, but not as dumb as this locksmith!

Ok so earlier today I was getting out of my car for class, and since i bought my car used i dont have the remote keyless entry so i always hit the power lock button before getting out of my car, so i did that, and as i was shutting my door i saw that I had let my keys slip out of my pocket! just in time to do nothing about it, and click the door shuts.

So I have to go to class all day, i finally get back, there is no way to get into the car. I call a locksmith, I have to wait like 2 hours for him to get there, and he works on the car for like an hour, takes him forever, and he even has me helping him do his job. long story short, none of his methods worked, and finnaly i was like, ok my keys are right there on ym seat can you use that wire there to get the keys? and of course my suggestion worked.

So he leaves with like 70 bucks of my money (keep in mind im a student so thats like all my food money for the next 2 weeks haha) and i realize that my passenger door (the one he was messing with to get in) wont open from the outside, the handle feels like normal but does nothing, the door will open from the inside fine though, and then I find out that my passenger window doesnt go down more than halfd way with a nice noise along with it.

the worst part about it is i had to sign a thing saying that i understand that forcefully entering into a car is a risky thing blah blah and basicly they arent responsible for any damage before he would even look at my car to help, and i had no choice. so basicly this sucks..... just had to vent
Old 02-01-07, 12:40 PM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

your door actuator rod is busted.
Old 02-01-07, 01:04 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

its the little plastic clip that is on the end of the actuator rod that i thought is what gets broken and causes the window to roll down incorrectly......
Old 02-01-07, 01:18 PM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

is that expensive/hard to replace on my own? Im confidant i can get the door panel off if i had the shop manual...
Old 02-01-07, 01:26 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 284 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by ayrity
is that expensive/hard to replace on my own? Im confidant i can get the door panel off if i had the shop manual...
taking the door panel off does not require any shop manual...there are 8-9 10mm bolts that need to come off and thats it, see the sticky thread in the Electronics forum (relating to speaker install) for detailed pictures and locations of things that need to be removed.

2 bolts in the door jamb
2 bolts under the armrest
1 bolt behind the door handle
3-4 bolts along the bottom edge

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=109384
Old 02-01-07, 01:27 PM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

great, thanks, at least i can get to the broken part now...
Old 02-01-07, 01:30 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

and heres the diy on fixing the door problem....should be no problem for ya.......https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...to+door+handle

and the part might not be broken it might have just fallen out of the place where it clips in....
Old 02-01-07, 07:26 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 284 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by cal9126
and heres the diy on fixing the door problem....should be no problem for ya.......https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...to+door+handle

and the part might not be broken it might have just fallen out of the place where it clips in....

Clublexus search button teamwork FTW
Old 02-01-07, 08:48 PM
lighthalo
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by menappi
Next time you lock your key sin the car, find a flathead screwdriver, put it between the top of the window and the molding, and pull the glass back enough to slip your arm in and unlock :P works everytime
nice, just be ready to turn the alarm off
Old 02-04-07, 10:14 AM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

thanks for all the help guys, ill be sure to fix it up asap
Old 02-05-07, 07:04 AM
CyBorG
Pole Position

if you are around orlando UCF area, I have the shop manuals if you need to borrow em
Old 02-05-07, 07:09 AM
CyBorG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by menappi
Next time you lock your key sin the car, find a flathead screwdriver, put it between the top of the window and the molding, and pull the glass back enough to slip your arm in and unlock :P works everytime
lol wow, that is scary to know that that works
Old 02-05-07, 08:32 AM
mitsuguy
Maintenance Moderator

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CyBorG
lol wow, that is scary to know that that works
are you sure??? our windows seem pretty firmly planted when in the all the way up position...

now, my old 3000gt, you could do that easily - the door didn't include the window frame, whereas the SC the door has the window frame for a much tighter fit...
Old 02-05-07, 09:08 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mitsuguy
are you sure??? our windows seem pretty firmly planted when in the all the way up position...

now, my old 3000gt, you could do that easily - the door didn't include the window frame, whereas the SC the door has the window frame for a much tighter fit...
if you want to break the regulator, force it down.
Old 02-05-07, 10:00 AM
ayrity
Driver School Candidate

ah damn, i was just in orlando this weekend, no access to a computer though, oh well, thansk for the offer though maybe some other time

Quick Reply: im so dumb, but not as dumb as this locksmith!