SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So I just filled my tank when......

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-07, 12:43 PM
play123boi
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I just filled my tank when......

I filled up my tank the other day at Arco, (it was pretty chilly) and didnt even try to overfill, and the next day at work (pretty warm day) my car is parked and I go out to check on it and there is a puddle of gasoline coming from out of my cap! So I slowly open the cap and a freakin *****load of gas starts gushing out! It turns out because the night was cold and I filled up and didnt run any gas the tank pressurized from the raise in em and actually pushed a lot of my gas out (almost a quarter tank!) my question is has anyone had this problem before?
Old 02-01-07, 12:55 PM
henry1
Lead Lap

thats strange...
Old 02-01-07, 01:01 PM
cal9126
Pole Position

hot or cold whenever i open up my gas cap there is always pressure in the tank and it hisses out when i unscrew....i have never had a car do it as much as this one.....
Old 02-01-07, 01:26 PM
play123boi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cal9126
hot or cold whenever i open up my gas cap there is always pressure in the tank and it hisses out when i unscrew....i have never had a car do it as much as this one.....

Yea mine hisses too do you think that this "pressure" buildup can lead to other problems?
Old 02-01-07, 01:28 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 324 Likes on 235 Posts

that release of pressure is normal when the gas cap is unscrewed. Pressure will always build up due to temperature variations..im not sure why yours overflowed, quite strange...maybe you have something else wrong
Old 02-01-07, 02:04 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

first time i got gas i thought my car was still on, it scared the crap out me, it hisses like crazy
Old 02-01-07, 02:06 PM
ThatDoodle
Driver

never happened to me before. Did you check the seal on the gas cap?
Even though you know how this happened because you said

"It turns out because the night was cold and I filled up and didnt run any gas the tank pressurized from the raise in em and actually pushed a lot of my gas out"

I will explain to the others exactly how it happened.

When he put in the gas the night before the temperature outside was low. Since temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other the pressure outside was low as well.
When he opened the gas tank, the tank's pressure equalized with the ambient air's temp/pressure (both low). After he put in the gas and sealed the tank with the cap, the gasoline started to boil off. Meaning that the gasoline was absorbing any sensible and latent heat causing it to vaporize in the tank. Like I said Temp and Pressure work together. If temp goes up so does the pressure. Think about a pot of water with a lid on a stove.
As the temperature outside started to raise with the mornings sun coming into effect, the gasoline picked up the increased temp thus creating more pressure. It got to the point where the pressure was looking for the weakest way out and the gas cap happened to be it.
Im sure that the gasoline was almost at the point of overfilling because the vaporized gasoline must have been condensing (turning into liquid) at the gas cap which in turn created a syphon.

Please comment if you think my theory is wrong.
Old 02-01-07, 02:10 PM
ThatDoodle
Driver

Originally Posted by play123boi
Yea mine hisses too do you think that this "pressure" buildup can lead to other problems?

yes it might cause other problems such as leaking gas the same way it did from the gas cap on any other seals such as the fuel pump.
Old 02-01-07, 02:20 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is so weird. Maybe its just your car. My gas cap makes the hissing sound of preasure being released. I dont know about your situation. Maybe someone was trying to steal some of your Arco fuel and messes something up?
Old 02-01-07, 02:44 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe your car was simply refusing to ingest a full tank of that crap ARCO gasoline/water? You know how the little animated car in those Chevron commercials winces and pulls back when the non-Chevron gas nozzle comes near it, lol.

But don't mind me...I hate ARCO...ever since they stopped taking credit cards and only take debit cards while still charging you $0.45 per transaction. bastids.

/rant.
Old 02-01-07, 03:34 PM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

never but happened to me but it does happen to some of my friends in the east coast who dont garage their rides.
Old 02-01-07, 05:21 PM
play123boi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ThatDoodle
never happened to me before. Did you check the seal on the gas cap?
Even though you know how this happened because you said

"It turns out because the night was cold and I filled up and didnt run any gas the tank pressurized from the raise in em and actually pushed a lot of my gas out"

I will explain to the others exactly how it happened.

When he put in the gas the night before the temperature outside was low. Since temperature and pressure are directly proportional to each other the pressure outside was low as well.
When he opened the gas tank, the tank's pressure equalized with the ambient air's temp/pressure (both low). After he put in the gas and sealed the tank with the cap, the gasoline started to boil off. Meaning that the gasoline was absorbing any sensible and latent heat causing it to vaporize in the tank. Like I said Temp and Pressure work together. If temp goes up so does the pressure. Think about a pot of water with a lid on a stove.
As the temperature outside started to raise with the mornings sun coming into effect, the gasoline picked up the increased temp thus creating more pressure. It got to the point where the pressure was looking for the weakest way out and the gas cap happened to be it.
Im sure that the gasoline was almost at the point of overfilling because the vaporized gasoline must have been condensing (turning into liquid) at the gas cap which in turn created a syphon.

Please comment if you think my theory is wrong.

Uhhh yeaaaaaa you got me on that one lol I am glad you guys at least know what ya'll are talking about. Its all good tho I just hope it doesn't happen again! BTW thanks for the explanation I was dumbstruck as to what happened because I didn't think that the amount of pressure would get that strong to actually push the heavier liquid out!
Old 02-01-07, 07:32 PM
LEXuriouss
Banned

change your cap
Old 02-01-07, 07:43 PM
tkafam1
Pole Position

I agree with lexuriousss. i had a problem this summer with gas leaking when the tank was full. When I put gas in her now, I don't fill it up all the way and I haven't had a leak yet...
Old 02-01-07, 08:28 PM
LexusFTW
Lexus Test Driver

remove your charcoal canister

Quick Reply: So I just filled my tank when......