SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Anyone believe this? 13 HP with spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-01, 08:39 AM
scoii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my Bosch Platinum + 4 plugs from J.C. Whiney catalog. They look cool with the 4 electrodes. Waiting for wires and cap before install.
Old 11-17-01, 08:48 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by scoii
I just got my Bosch Platinum + 4 plugs from J.C. Whiney catalog. They look cool with the 4 electrodes. Waiting for wires and cap before install.
All and all I got my tune-up today and my car was restored to greatness again. The sparkplugs I used do seem to work great and I am happy I got the ones I got. The rotor was almost all gone and I didn't look at the cap, so I bet it didn't look too good. Sparkplug wires were also replaced alone with the fuel filter. My car dynoed peak 177 rwhp (highter than stock???) and before the tune up I was getting 147.2 rwhp. Compared the dyno to the one when my car wasn't running right, this one is such a nice smooth curve. Very great Improvement. I don't have a dyno of peak rwhp after adjusting the AFC, but I am more than sure I have gained atleast 15 rwhp. When I do replacement of the belts I will also do the cam geards and I will adjust the timeing which should work great with the AFC improving the rwhp majorly. Heheh. I recommend the place to anyone in the Chicago area. The place is called APG Performance. These guys know what they're doing and I feel much better in the quality of their work and most other shops. Also thanks to Tom Chow for keeping me company and teaching me few things about cars. Thanks Tom.

-Chris

PS. Recommend the Denso Iridiums to anyone, they're great. The stock sparkplugs were Denso Platinum.
Old 11-18-01, 11:13 AM
rboorgu
Rookie

How much did the whole thing cost you. I need to do this as well.

Raj
Old 11-18-01, 03:42 PM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by rboorgu
How much did the whole thing cost you. I need to do this as well.

Raj
Parts, labor, dyno, adjusting of the afc = 458 bucks. THen add around 100 bucks for the bad a$$ Denso iridium sparkplugs and viola. 558 bucks. Not bad considering my car pulls like crazy now. Hehehe. I will do cam grears when I will replace the belts. Then Supra Turbo breaks and well, turbo. I can get the T04E turbo for 1200 bucks. Not bad? Ehhh?
Old 11-18-01, 04:35 PM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll sell you my TO4E turbo for less than 1200...it's only got like 1500miles on it. I want a big turbo now.

SR
Old 11-19-01, 05:52 AM
ChrisK
Lead Lap

DIrEctQL,

Where is APG Performance located? How is their knowledge about Lexus vehicles, especially SC400s?

Thanks,

Chris K.
95 SC400
Old 11-19-01, 07:44 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up More performance

If you want more power just get the 50HP racing stickers or the Yuban coffee can exhaust for the same. Clear corners will also boost your HP.
Old 11-19-01, 07:54 AM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: More performance

Originally posted by Hermosa
If you want more power just get the 50HP racing stickers or the Yuban coffee can exhaust for the same. Clear corners will also boost your HP.
You must have had a Honda before, right?
Old 11-19-01, 08:00 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Default LOL

There are so many riced out Hondas in Sacramento my sides ache from non-stop laughter when I take a drive . I saw a 5" exhaust tip on a Civic!!! It sounded like one of the gas powered garden blowers the gardeners use.
Old 11-19-01, 08:01 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by ChrisK
DIrEctQL,

Where is APG Performance located? How is their knowledge about Lexus vehicles, especially SC400s?

Thanks,

Chris K.
95 SC400
APG is located in Wood Dale, IL. Sorry to say that they don't have much experience with Lexus, but they do have knowledge. They mostly work on Hondas, but they can do anything. Owner offered to bring a Jap spec 2JZ-GTE engine for 4000 bucks for me. He said he can do anything. I know for sure they're a less famous show but they do fix all the project cars that other shops (I won't name) messed up and wouldn't fix. They do a great job, especally with the exchaust pipes. I watched them work on it and was kind of impressed. I think that's the shop I will go to get my turbo installed. They're constantly expanding and they have a bigger garadge than any shop around Chicago area.
Old 11-19-01, 08:48 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

But don't forget the all important part. The stickers MUST be yellow, or the performance increase will not be realized.

Red is a close second, but nothing beats the power of yellow. Have you seen the new IS300 in yellow? It smokes anything out there.

SR
Old 11-19-01, 09:01 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by CmputerWiz
But don't forget the all important part. The stickers MUST be yellow, or the performance increase will not be realized.

Red is a close second, but nothing beats the power of yellow. Have you seen the new IS300 in yellow? It smokes anything out there.

SR
I wouldn't mind running that IS300. Hahah. See how my jade green does against the yellow. It's like green lantern vs. that yellow dude. Ya, I'm the good guy!!! I am sure I would win with no problem. Heheh.
Old 11-19-01, 10:11 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm glad to hear you got the rwhp up to where it belongs. With the Apexi S-AFC, I'm sure you are getting at least 18 - 20 rwhp. That is what they are getting in the Supra n/a(the same motor).

You're almost at 200 rwhp, not bad from 147.2 rwhp a couple of weeks ago. Tell 2Lexos to get his tune up now.
Old 11-19-01, 10:44 AM
DIrEctQL

Originally posted by The Ikon
I'm glad to hear you got the rwhp up to where it belongs. With the Apexi S-AFC, I'm sure you are getting at least 18 - 20 rwhp. That is what they are getting in the Supra n/a(the same motor).

You're almost at 200 rwhp, not bad from 147.2 rwhp a couple of weeks ago. Tell 2Lexos to get his tune up now.
I will tell him that. Hehe. But hey, what's the stock peak rwhp for SC300? I dynoed 177 peak rwhp. After 60 mph my car pulls very hard, infact I put my head against the headrest so I don't have to fight the gravity. It's very nice. I am sure it would be even better for a V8. Try the AFC on your SC400!!!
Old 11-19-01, 11:10 AM
Hermosa
Lexus Champion

Question

Okay Swift Racing is lagging on my SC400 HFI/ECU so where is the URL for me to order the Apexi one?

Thx

Quick Reply: Anyone believe this? 13 HP with spark plugs?