SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

$1200 for regular service for '97 SC300

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-07, 07:18 PM
acenase
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy crap! over a grand for 60,000 mile servicing. I wonder how much it costs people with like 130,000+ miles to do servicing!!! like 4-5 grand?!
Old 02-09-07, 07:32 PM
JDM
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jcallows
Did I mention that they also wanted to re-mount the engine for another $1000 or so? I had to put my foot down on that one.
Did they try to top off your blinker fluid too? hehe.

But think of it JF is in a vrey rich area and most of the people that go there dont care if they spend the extra money for things that they dont really know. Obviously the dealership is used to offering service like that since their customer base is different.

I'm sure lots of people would be like that if they could work off a Lexus in a year or less.
Old 02-09-07, 09:36 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow man-- blinkers?? brake lights?? the bulbs are like $1.20 for a 4 pack at AZone-- ABS test?? Get on a wet street, or spray your road down-- slam on the brakes, if the pedal does the vibration thing or jumps a little, and the car stops instead of locking up the tires, it works, and the ABS light would come on too if there were a problem-- The abs sensors are super easy to change too--

The motor mounts were the only thing on there that were likely needed at that mileage-- but I bought all the parts for $174 shipped, all three mounts-- and could get someone to do it for $200 labor, maybe less-- $1000?? That's highway robbery--

Just do the timing belt at 100k intervals to be safe, and install good plug wires every 120k or so, and plugs every 60k, and of course the air filter at normal intervals, and you'll be fine--

One more thing -- brake pads are so darn easy to change, and if more people knew you can change pads in literally 3 minutes per wheel not including removing the tire of course, more people would do it-- there's a trick to it and I'll be more than happy to explain the simple procedure to anyone that's interested-- Just pm me-- really, it's that easy--

There are 3 things related to the engine that TRULY matter-- Temperature, oil pressure and cleanliness, and fuel/ingition-- with those three things it will run forever-- as for the trans, it needs clean fluid of the appropriate type, probably TIV, but I don't know if you have a manual or what-- not sure on the fluied type for your car--

And for goodness sakes, do the plugs and wires yourself on a Saturday afternoon, oh yeah, I left out the cap/rotor about every 60~100k -- which you can do yourself too--

Man, I'd love to call a Lexus dealership to get a price on replacing the Serpentine belt-- I can install one on the SC400 in literally 5 minutes with no tools whatsoever, and I bet they charge at least $225-- the belt is $15 btw..

There's a good reason the phrase "STEALERSHIP" was coined, don't you remember that painful process of buying a car and the 3 man shuffle "I'm tryin to help you man but he's just not budgin" bullcrap-- tell me you remember the F&I box right? -- Those guys are some of the greasiest snails on the planet-- they want one thing from you-- Money-- all of it-- A thief's tool is a gun, theirs is words, but they still both want all your money.....

My $.02
Old 02-10-07, 12:27 AM
Dr.Zeus
Lead Lap

My friend you just got straight up robbed. Jim falk and dealers in general have a tendency to really overprice. I would make sure they even did the job that they signed off on since you paid for it and all. I'm sure luxury motorworks would have done a better job and the price might have been lower.
Old 02-10-07, 09:55 AM
FortuneLS
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

i was quoted $1200 for the 90k service, which included the timing belt being replaced... you got robbed, so did the lady who spent $5000 for the 90k service, the local Lexus dealership here in des moines has a $90/hour labor rate
Old 02-11-07, 02:17 PM
BLK13X
Mortgage Slave

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I just paid $1200AUD (a hair over $900US) for my 100K km (60k mile) service, everything replaced because I asked them too (the necessary things... all fliuds and filters, both belts, plugs, water pump, radiator top tank then add labour on top of that)... I don't think a bad price at all to keep the car in top shape
Old 02-12-07, 07:03 AM
StiCk3
Lexus Champion

thats rediculous!!!!! i took mine to a regular mechanic $400 for oil change, tire rotations, and all the other regular stuff....all at 140k on the clock

im starting to get scared after reading this. my engine check lite just came on, but my car has been running fine eversince it came on. i might just reset the ecu, but eventually a dealership visit might be coming.......
Old 02-12-07, 08:04 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

I hope you at least got a reach around.......

'cause you got reamed!

If you're not going to do the work yourself then start going to a Toyota service instead of Lexus.
Old 02-12-07, 08:36 AM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Man, to be perfectly honest, that list is a whole bunch of Not A F$%$%in Thing.

Most of it you do everyday-- like inspect blinkers, or headligths-- so on--

The majority of it was inspection, I didn't read the whole list, but haven't you heard of those folks that have the Toyota truck-- and have 450,000 miles on it with nothing but spark plugs, wires, and oil/tranny fluid changes--- maybe a diff fluid change in there--

Plugs, wires, oil change, a tranny flush, and a diff fluid change should all be about $$375 with labor---

And it wouldn't take more than about 2 hrs to do it all. Just get a regular shop to do all of it but the tranny flush, and get that done with real Toyota Type IV fluid at a yota dealership.... $139 was my last quote-- so I'll opt for several drain/fills -- maybe 4, which should be about 3 qts each, at $5/qt.... $60 for parts alone--

If you can operate a jack, and turn a wrench after properly selecting the appropriately sized socket, you're well on your way to changing oil and tranny fluid--

Parts alone, 12 qts. tranny fluid, Mobil 1 + filter, wires, plugs, diff fluid + fluid pump (mechanical hand operated type) and a genuine Toyota air filter (from a 4Runner-- 3.4 V6????)---- All around $250 total-- I would consider this a major service aside from timing belt and valve adjustment-- The latter of the two being only optional-- if either your timing belt breaks (97 and older-- I THINK--I KNOW a 92 SC400 can break a timing belt and be ok, you'll just need a tow) or you have an obnoxiously loud lifter tick-- which I do not have as of yet at 154k miles..... Those lifter pucks are even easy to do, and can be done without removing the cam--

That is the sound of putting at LEAST $1000 in your pocket. At LEAST that much.
Old 02-12-07, 01:08 PM
mikeloc24
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Lol......@......California.
Dude B, man you just don't know. You have to wear steel underwear in this state just to keep people from constantly trying to run up in your ****. It's like a disease out here...people are CONSTANTLY trying to dig in your pockets every time you turn around