SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

gauge cluster help, incorrect readings

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 05:05 AM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation gauge cluster help, incorrect readings

well, i'd first like to say that I am an idiot. the other night i took the cluster out and took off the face to try to wipe the inside of the glass.
well, i did that, then i decided i'd try to clean the face and the gauges themselves. i took the guages off one by one and wiped them off and put them back on in the right spots (obviously) but i noticed i guess i didnt put my speedometer gauge back to 0 or something because it is now resting and starting at 4 mph. so if i move that back to 0 will the prob be fixed?

also, the main thing is my gas gauge. i think i might have less gas then its reading... is that possible?, should i just move it to the bottom and let it go back by itself?

im gonna get gas just in case, but please help.

please dont flame me and tell me how much of an idiot i am, just try to help
Old 02-15-07, 07:07 AM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

anyone know?
Old 02-15-07, 07:14 AM
SinisterSC
Lead Lap

I'm not sure on this but I think you should have disconnected your battery before you pull the pod. But as car as your gas needle goes, fill up to a full tank and then but the needle to a tick over full. That's where mine sits on a full tank. Also PM OLT he might be able to help you out a bit.

Last edited by SinisterSC; 02-15-07 at 07:16 AM. Reason: forgot a "d" is disconnect+ Ninja edit
Old 02-15-07, 07:17 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless you want the gas meter to look correct, i would suggest not worrying about it. Just wait till the amber light pops up signaling that you are low on fuel, then fill up. Thats what i ended up doing since i got my gauge cluster back from Lextech Lighting.
Old 02-15-07, 07:29 AM
Kilo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jewcano
Unless you want the gas meter to look correct, i would suggest not worrying about it. Just wait till the amber light pops up signaling that you are low on fuel, then fill up. Thats what i ended up doing since i got my gauge cluster back from Lextech Lighting.

Did you get the infamous "Recalibration" email?
Old 02-15-07, 07:34 AM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Kilo
Did you get the infamous "Recalibration" email?
Hhahaha, yup Turn the car on, let it sit, till it warms up, then pull the needles off and place them in the correct position, i didnt feel like doing that though.
Old 02-15-07, 08:33 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

yea OLT will probably beable to help you
Old 02-15-07, 08:44 AM
CompuMan
Pole Position

Default Gauge Cluster Problems

Look at this thread. Be sure to read it All.
It may help with your problem:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214801
Old 02-15-07, 03:13 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by CompuMan
Look at this thread. Be sure to read it All.
It may help with your problem:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=214801
That cluster you had was an electrical nightmare. Someone at some time overtightened the screws, likely a tech that worked on it before (one of those three work orders you had previously, maybe?). Not one single connection on those screws made "really good" contact, yikes! Yeah that cluster was a pain in the ***. Not all electronics are equal, some have been used and abused. I'd file that one under both somewhat.

Anyway this guy's problem is different. He's making contact, he just screwed the needle position up a little. The problem is that he tried to put them back on when the unit was out of the car. This does not work well and is EXACTLY why and proof positive, the cluster must be in the car it is going in to get a dead on match on the needles. No matter how many times something is weighted and balanced, you can usually only get within 1/8 of correct with the gas and temp needles (which in MOST units is not noticeable, few stray farther). This is due to the sensors of each car aging differently. It's not enough to throw it way off, generally it just makes you notice a difference since we expect the temp gauge to hit a certain spot every single time. Gas is a crap shoot, you can change your fuel sensor in the back and the car never read correctly again - very sensitive. Once the needles are weighted (if they are aftermarket) it's just setting them in the right spot to YOUR car's sensors. 2 seconds, no biggie. This guy is running stock needles so he simply missed the mark completely when sticking them back on. start your car on level ground, run it until it is full temperature, then stick the temp needle on halfway reading as it should be, and stick the gas needle on wherever the contacts are facing you'll see them, line them up, no bias.

Good luck!

Edit: The tach and speed need to sit on zero, not below so just keep trying. I've said this 100 times..... "it's all technique" and there's nothing I can say to teach you how, you just gotta keep screwing with it until you hit zero. Things CAN get worse from here however so be gentle!

Last edited by O. L. T.; 02-15-07 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 03:52 PM
vince1128
Lexus Test Driver

thanks olt, that was great help. i appreciate it