SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Front seats/LCD/Fogged headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-07, 07:40 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Front seats/LCD/Fogged headlights

Ok on my last SC (and many other SCs), I notice the front seats in very bad condition. Also the LCDS (instrument and climate control) don't work, and headlights are not very clear. I did the bake in the oven for my last SC front lights.

On this 98 SC of mine, the interior is brand new, lights are gorgeous, and all LCD works (fingers crossed).

My question is, is there preventative maintenance to keep them like this?

1) Are the LCDs bound to fail? If so, certain age they fail?
2) How to keep the front seats looking new?
3) How to keep the headlights just as clear, with no condensation?

Appreciate the help.

4) Also when do the trunk struts die? Mine are still fine.
Old 02-15-07, 08:17 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there are a number of DIY threads posted on the headlight cleaning

and you can't put a certain amount of time on a product's life, it dies when it dies.
don't worry about those trunk struts until they give you an actual problem, and lextech will help you out with the lcd, or you can buy a new one form gazi
Old 02-15-07, 08:19 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Lucky, I don't need the DIY on headlight cleaning. I did it on my old SC. My new SC doesn't need it. I am thinking of ways to prevent all the things that were wrong with my old SC.
Old 02-15-07, 08:22 PM
Lucky SC
Lexus Test Driver

i see, sorry for the misunderstanding

as far as i know there isn't a way, just make sure that you have no cracks in the glass that will let water in and that the silicone is still holding the headlight in place well. no guaranteed way to prevent it, but checking for things like that should help. otherwise water shouldn't really be getting on the INSIDE, but you will still have the usual fogging on the outside

gl
Old 02-15-07, 08:39 PM
ryansong
Pole Position

well the only way to keep the lights really good looking is to probably keep cleaning it. dont let it stay dirty for a long time. dunno if theres actually stuff to keep it clean. if so please tell lol
Old 02-15-07, 09:07 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

seats - nothing you can do about it...wear and tear = wear and tear

lamps - you can try clear bra and that'll get you more time out of them. Honestly, if they start to fade, just get new ones. You can polish, polish, polish, and keep polishing old ones but you'll never get it to look like it came out the box.

lcd - eventually they'll die out, you can either replace the little screen or you can get them new...nothing much you can do about it..or just not use it as much?

This stuff is pretty common sense if you ask me (if you've had a car before that is).
Old 02-15-07, 09:11 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Xotic sC
(if you've had a car before that is).
Yup you are right. I am 16 years old, and am lying about my old SC. I didn't meet any of the other CL members, never had a Lexus, just making stuff up about a 92 SC.
Old 02-15-07, 09:53 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

your asking common sense questions bro- my 4 year old son would know how to keep seats looking new-

1) Are the LCDs bound to fail? If so, certain age they fail?
2) How to keep the front seats looking new?
3) How to keep the headlights just as clear, with no condensation?

1) of course they will fail over time- when you ask- how would we know
2) how to keep the front seats looking new? just get some seat covers
3) do we know if they are cracked are they mint? over time they will eventually fade and color- when? let me call the psychic hotline- ill get back to you

Xotic sC was right its all common sense and sorry if you dont like that- he gave you respectable answers- next time search- all those questions have been asked multible times- you should know that- how long have you been a member here?
Old 02-15-07, 09:54 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I was speaking in general terms.

you, doesn't neccessarily mean "you".

but yea, common sense.
Old 02-15-07, 10:54 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, you can't prevent a car from aging. That being said, for the lights, there are quite a few different clear plastic polishes that I would apply a few times a month to keep the headlights in good condition. Same for the seats, just clean them a couple times a year depending on usage with some stuff like Lexol and keep them conditioned. Seat covers might help but they're all pretty unattractive and hardening of the leather will happen regardless if you don't clean and condition regularly. Plus keeping the car garaged preserves it more than anything, the heat/cold and UV rays accelerate paint fade, leather hardening, etc. As for the LCD, like everyone says, they just go out eventually. As my friend told me once.. quit worrying about the inevitable and DRIVE the thing.. Just keep on the maintenance of the car and have fun with it.

Last edited by Dougspeed; 02-15-07 at 10:58 PM.
Old 02-15-07, 11:01 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Thanks for the info and polite post Doug! Yeah I used the Lexol stuff (wow does it stink) on my other SC, but the seats weren't that great to begin with. THis one the seats are gorgeous, probably because the owner had no passengers, was very careful, and car was always garaged. I want to keep them as close to it as possible.

Yeah my car will be garaged, so no worries about the sun and all.

I guess I didn't know HOW the old SC lights fogged up, as in did the silicone just wear away with age? As in what to look for, in the these lights. I will just keep an eye on it.

LCD-yup can't worry about it.

By the way Doug, checked out the car today. Oil is fresh, trannny oil is nice and red. Brake fluids/radiator are all full, and timing belt cover has a note on that it was changed and next is 180K.
Old 02-15-07, 11:16 PM
Dougspeed
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice, she's all set to go on a nice drive. As for the headlights fogging up, it's more a defect than anything. Even the GS headlights were prone to that condensation issue on the inside. Some did, some didn't. After working with over 25 sets of headlights, taking them apart, polishing, clearing them out for S2000 and various other car makes, I can say that most lenses CAN be restored to like new condition so don't worry about it for now if it isn't fogging up. Just take care of it asap when it does happen and you should see no permanent damage.
Old 02-16-07, 01:12 AM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Miss Cleo can answer all of these inquiries better than I
Old 02-16-07, 10:02 AM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dougspeed
Very nice, she's all set to go on a nice drive. As for the headlights fogging up, it's more a defect than anything. Even the GS headlights were prone to that condensation issue on the inside. Some did, some didn't. After working with over 25 sets of headlights, taking them apart, polishing, clearing them out for S2000 and various other car makes, I can say that most lenses CAN be restored to like new condition so don't worry about it for now if it isn't fogging up. Just take care of it asap when it does happen and you should see no permanent damage.
My oven is read when/if the light gets foggy