Thinking of selling 1992 SC400-smell makes me sick

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-07, 04:09 PM
SC400F4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of selling 1992 SC400-smell makes me sick

Hey guys,
It's been a while since I've posted but I've got a "project" 1992 sc400. I love the car and I love the idea of fixing it up, but right now I've got a major problem. Whenever the car is running, I get some kind of exhaust fumes in the car and it's simply intoxicating. Not the good kind of intoxication, the i'm-gonna-get-sick-and-have-a-massive-headache kind of intoxication. It's really bad when I have the heater on and I'm pulling air in from the outside. When I switch to re-circulating the air, the smell seems to get a little better but I still feel semi-woozy after driving the car. I know the car has been hit (I really hate the jackass that sold me the car claiming it had always "been garaged" but it was an ebay purchase-i think i'm through with ebay) in the rear and there is a hole above the right rear muffler that might be letting some exhaust in through the trunk, but the major difference is when switching the air from recirculate to pulling in from the outside. Any ideas? I also need to get the car to pass emissions within the next couple days or my temp-tag will expire. Kinda regretting buying the car at this point
Old 02-19-07, 04:13 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Sell the car and buy a 98+. I did that, and am the happiest SC owner around
Old 02-19-07, 04:15 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Exhaust/Manifold/Flange leak somewhere under the hood close to the firewall.

Break out the flash light and look for a leak while its running or...
Go to an oil change place (get your oil changed). Ask them to let you down into the pit. Try and locate the leak...(while its running).
Old 02-19-07, 04:16 PM
narfy
Lead Lap

have 2 friends plug the mufflers with rags in 5-10 second intervals... and poke your head into the engine bay while the engine is running and see if you can see an exhaust leak...
Old 02-19-07, 04:17 PM
neurocity
Neu`roc´i`ty

Received 76 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by ryanSC300lover
Sell the car and buy a 98+. I did that, and am the happiest SC owner around
Sure does solve the exhaust leaking into the cabin problem.
Old 02-19-07, 04:24 PM
SC400F4
Driver School Candidate

Thanks, I will certainly try to locate the leak. I would love to sell the car, but first I have to get it into my name as I can't transfer the title until the car passes inspection. I'm praying that the only reason it wasn't passing is because it was throwing a knock sensor code, cause it to run terribly (because it retarded the timing). I unplugged the MAF sensor and now it runs better (not nearly as sluggish) but throws *obviously* codes for the MAF sensor. So I'm gonna get the cat's nice and warm then take it through inspection, hoping that it wont be running nearly as rich w/o the MAF sensor plugged in. I have literally no money and all my time is spent in school (not a good time to buy a project car ) I guess this is just one of life's lessons.
Old 02-19-07, 04:27 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by neurocity
Sure does solve the exhaust leaking into the cabin problem.
Well look at the title of the thread
Old 03-17-07, 11:21 PM
MCHolyG
Driver School Candidate

is it exhaust or burning fluid smell? if your rack is leaking like mine, or your vc gaskets, oils may be getting onto your exhaust manifold and burning off. putting on the fresh air fan, you're pulling in the smoke, which you may notice more after coming to a stop after high speed. that's the same problem i'm having. i leave mine on recirc all the time now. i hate it but until i can get under the car with some degreaser, i'm ignoring it. you may need to get under there, clean the whole underside of the motor, then watch for fresh oil to show the leak source.
Old 03-19-07, 09:05 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ttt........
Old 03-19-07, 03:12 PM
JohnEd
Lead Lap

Default leak in engine bay

F4,

If you have an ex leak into the rear of the vehicle you can minimize the gas entering by "pressurizing" the car. When you open the vent to alow outside air you allow positive air pressure from the bottom of the windshield to enter the car. Any opening at the rear of the vehicle, or anywhere else for that matter, will become an exhaust port for the cabin. You would stop a leak from the muf area by putting the climate control in outside mode. This fix fails for you, sooo. My Datsun Z car started gassing me when the hatch (trunk for you) seal quit working due to age. If you car is bent it might be leaking there. test that by putting a strip of paper in the door, closing the trunk and then making sure the paper is gripped by the seal. Any holes that are used to affix the tail light assy should have caulk or rubber gaskets to prevent air from the rear being sucked into the vehicle. If you roll you window down only an inch or so you will most probably create a low pressure inside the car and it will pull in air from any other opening in the body.

If you have a ex manifold leak, that would put ex gasses in your engine compartment. With that you get gases in the cabin premarily in the outside air mode. Switching to recirc would lessen your problem caus it would only be entering through bolt holes, elect cable bundle gaskets and such in the firewall. Check that the gasket that goes across the top front of the firewall and is sandwiched between the firewall and hood is in tact and seals.

This logic does not exclude the possibility of your having two leaks. CO poisoning symptom is lethargy and weakness and sleepy. Long term is migrane and psycotic episodes of violent rage. Case in point is a lady in NY that killed her three kids due to a hot water heater ex being plugged with a birds nest. Mystery why the bird lived long enuf to finsh the nest. None of these symptoms are conducive to a high GPA.

If you can smell it....it is really intense and will kill you in short order.

Get a 2 foot length of 3/8s copper tubing and attach that to a 3 foot length of flexable tubing. Hold the flex end to your ear and carefully move the copper end around your ex manifold. You will hear the roar of mechanical stuff in motion everywhere. The ex leak is an unmistakable rushing hiss or phitt sound. Even if you never heard it before you will easily recognize it.

Take that puppy to your local reputable muffler shop. They are experienced at ****hing this stuff and, at the prospect of being tasked with fixing the leak, will do it for free as an inspection. Your universe has help on tap for you. Drive there with the CC on recirc and ALL the windows down. If you feel sick, stop and stay out of the car for a half hour.

Let us know how this was resolved and what the problem turned out to be.

Good luck with this F4

John

Last edited by JohnEd; 03-20-07 at 07:45 PM. Reason: spelling and clairity
Old 03-19-07, 03:24 PM
eHIGH
Lead Lap

The title makes me think of Seinfield :P