SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Painted emblems..did not stop there (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-07, 08:15 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Painted emblems..did not stop there (pics)

My SC came with the "bling" gold package that I hated from day one. I swapped the gold exhaust tips for chrome the first week I had it, but stopped there. Finally decided to redo the emblems this weekend in a Gunmetal color along with removing the gold pin-stripe. I love how it turned out. Then I started looking at the wood trim inside and decided I was not fond of that either. Something about a 2 door, V8 powered, RWD car that does not beg for woodgrain. Used the same color as the emblems and really happy with the end result. Tell me what you think?

Old 02-20-07, 08:21 PM
Matador
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks great, Id love to paint my wood sometime too.
Old 02-20-07, 08:21 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

love that work. looks amazing.

I have painted my gold emblems as well. I feel like I would have to be an 80 year old man who grew up during the depression to like the ubnoxiously gold color from the factory.
Old 02-20-07, 08:23 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it!! I have new emblems that I'm planning to paint gunmetal to match the centers of my Volks. I've thought about painting the woodgrain to look like brushed aluminum (black interior), but I'm not sure yet.

How did you prep the emblems?
Old 02-20-07, 08:30 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I loved your interior shot, looks great. Job well done.

I have a Pearl white 98, with silver rear emblems, wondering if the gunmetal/black would look good, or I should just leave it alone.
Old 02-20-07, 08:32 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

prepping the emblems can be as simple as rubbing them down with isopropyl rubbing alcohol and painting, or as complex as sanding and painting. I just cleaned mine with alcohol and painted over them, my painted emblems are still holding strong after about a year, no fading or chipping.
Old 02-20-07, 08:35 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

how did u remove the gold stripes on the site? just ripped em off? or? and what type of paint did u use for the badges and the interior like spray can or...? thanks a lot looks really good!!
Old 02-20-07, 08:36 PM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the compliments!!! I am really pissed at myself that I waited this long to do it because it was much easier than I anticipated. As for prepping, NYLex is pretty much right on, but I did one extra step. I used a real light grit sandpaper just to smooth any rough spots from weathering. I then cleaned the emblems with thinner. I then used a clear primer that is also an adhesive promotor for plastic. Then painted the emblems. Very easy and finish seemed pretty durable.

Originally Posted by Mortal300
how did u remove the gold stripes on the site? just ripped em off? or? and what type of paint did u use for the badges and the interior like spray can or...? thanks a lot looks really good!!
VERY CAREFULLY;-) I rubbed them down with an adhesive remover first. Then took a razor blade just to get the end peeled up and used my fingers from there. After removal, had to use the adhesive remover again to get the glue off. Then immediately washed the area and waxed. As for paint, I used Plasti-Kote which is designed to stick better on fiberglass and plastic.

Last edited by Quick VR-4; 02-20-07 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-20-07, 08:39 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Ah I didn't use an adhesion primer, I felt that it was so easy to paint them that I could spare 20 minutes to do it per year if they ever did fade haven't had to worry about that yet though!

edit: also you got PM VR!
Old 02-20-07, 11:34 PM
Mortal300
Pole Position

did u use plasti-kote on BOTH the lexus badges and the wood or..?

Last edited by Mortal300; 02-20-07 at 11:37 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 06:52 AM
Quick VR-4
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mortal300
did u use plasti-kote on BOTH the lexus badges and the wood or..?
Yes, same process and materials on both surfaces.
Old 02-21-07, 07:36 AM
PHLSingle
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Quick VR-4
Thanks for the compliments!!! I am really pissed at myself that I waited this long to do it because it was much easier than I anticipated. As for prepping, NYLex is pretty much right on, but I did one extra step. I used a real light grit sandpaper just to smooth any rough spots from weathering. I then cleaned the emblems with thinner. I then used a clear primer that is also an adhesive promotor for plastic. Then painted the emblems. Very easy and finish seemed pretty durable.

VERY CAREFULLY;-) I rubbed them down with an adhesive remover first. Then took a razor blade just to get the end peeled up and used my fingers from there. After removal, had to use the adhesive remover again to get the glue off. Then immediately washed the area and waxed. As for paint, I used Plasti-Kote which is designed to stick better on fiberglass and plastic.

Looks great!! Just what I need to do with my busted *** gold package Did you use the same process to remove the emblems for painting? What about reattaching them?

Jay
Old 02-21-07, 08:37 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

nice looks like everything came out really well- and looks real good-
Old 02-21-07, 08:42 AM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

oh and ryanSC300lover- read this thread if your wondering if "I have a Pearl white 98, with silver rear emblems, wondering if the gunmetal/black would look good, or I should just leave it alone." should help you out

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...+black+emblems
Old 02-21-07, 08:44 AM
ef9
Driver

Looks great! So did you remove the wood trim from the car to do this? How did that go?

Quick Reply: Painted emblems..did not stop there (pics)