SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Fender Mod Options : Roll or Cut?
Roll it.
74.02%
Cut it off.
19.69%
Other, please state.
6.30%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Fender Mod Options : Roll or Cut?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 05:42 AM
Tony95sc4
Banned scammer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggman
okay cool, thats what i was thinking about doing anyhow.

whats with all this rust talk. cant i just paint the inner edge to stop the rust?
yea i was jus gonna shave and then touch it up with paint...thats the best way to go if you dont wanna crack the paint from rolling..am i wrong?
Old 03-02-07, 05:46 AM
Chawk60
Pole Position

Yello...got any side pix? Looks like a great job and you didn't even damage the paint much if at all.
Old 03-02-07, 06:31 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cut, ive seen too many rolling accidents. and friends awesome gs300 went yesterday to a reputable shop. they owned one of the fenders, creases right below the pin stripe, dents, paint flaking, oh its horrible.

cutting.
Old 03-02-07, 11:49 AM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Eastwood Roller, So far I have rolled my fronts, I have yet to do the rear. The front went very well; I used the heat gun as recommended and didn’t crack the paint at all! The only place I was not 100% satisfied with is where the square holes that hold the rock guard on are. The fender lip doesn’t seem to roll quite as well there. All in all I am very pleased with it! Once my wheels arrive next week I hope I have made adequate clearance for them. I will roll the rear this weekend and report back the results. I started with the front because #1 you can unbolt and replace the front fenders and #2 they seemed like they would be the greatest challenge. As of right now I say Roll! No question about it.
Old 03-03-07, 07:03 PM
Blizzy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottURnot
I bought the Eastwood Roller, So far I have rolled my fronts, I have yet to do the rear. The front went very well; I used the heat gun as recommended and didn’t crack the paint at all! The only place I was not 100% satisfied with is where the square holes that hold the rock guard on are. The fender lip doesn’t seem to roll quite as well there. All in all I am very pleased with it!...As of right now I say Roll! No question about it.
Ditto. Except I just rolled my rears as they were the only fenders with clearance issues. It was even about 35-degrees here (~50 in the garage). No cracked paint. My rusty, hand-me-down paint gun worked like a charm.

Having babied my car to minimize rubbing for the past couple weeks, it felt great to push the car again. Having 275mm of rubber on the road feels amazing. My car is twice as fun as it ever has been. Rolling the fenders make it all possible.
Old 03-07-07, 09:20 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Here is the front, the rears are still to come.
Attached Thumbnails Fender Mod Options : Roll or Cut?-rolled.jpg  
Old 04-13-07, 01:42 PM
fourcircle
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Emerald
take it to a body shop. By the sounds of your questions, you're gonna **** up your car.

If you simply cut the lip, the quarter panel will flex like a piece of paper. Rust isnt a big deal because metal can be treated after its cut.
very true !
Old 04-13-07, 01:50 PM
CleanCL
Lead Lap

i dont know about you guys, but i just take an angle grinder to the inner lip on th fenders. whoever says this will make the fender weak, has never done it. i've done it on multiple cars and its fine. i just grind the lip all the way down. now for the sharp edges, just sand the metal and it's smoother than the original lip. now paint the exposed metal and it's fine. if you do it properly i find it better than rolling.

but for the extra wide stuff, i would do what aliga said, and just shave the innner lip, then roll it out ;]
Old 04-13-07, 01:57 PM
play123boi
Pole Position

Anyone in LA metro area with an Eastwood Fender roller? I want to roll my fenders as well. PM me location and contact!
Old 04-13-07, 10:04 PM
574-SC300
Pole Position

Rolling your fender are the best but. It isn't perfect. Like mentioned above, the square section where it holds the rock guards doesn't like to roll so well and you get a small hail looking dent. Also Lexus fenders are a little more difficult to roll then my 240 fenders but it seems you could pull them a little futher.
Old 04-13-07, 10:42 PM
Eggman
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 574-SC300
...and you get a small hail looking dent.
what do you mean? i'm not gonna try it if this is highly probable. anyone have experience with that?
Old 04-14-07, 01:22 AM
9teens
Banned SCAMMER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go on youtube n type fender rolling baseball bat n theres a diy on it. it took me a whole 2 mins to do both my rears. all you need is a heat gun and a baseball bat. $40 per fender my ****! how bout free
Old 04-14-07, 01:17 PM
ScottURnot
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Eggman
what do you mean? i'm not gonna try it if this is highly probable. anyone have experience with that?
Not hail like dents, just small ripples that show up in certain light a little bit.
Old 04-15-07, 11:33 PM
Eggman
Pole Position

just rolled a front fender. i now know what you mean by the small dents where the fender trim screw in. i think tried to roll too much too... paint cracked. not sure if i want to roll the other three corners now. maybe just shave them to avoid these dents.

are the rears any easier?
Old 04-15-07, 11:40 PM
9teens
Banned SCAMMER

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDTK9IjKIYU heres the link ...i was gonna get mines shaved untill i saw this.. i used a wooden bat instead of a pipe. Oh and a heat gun. ITS IN JAPANESE BUT U GET THE IDEA...

Last edited by 9teens; 04-16-07 at 02:42 AM.

Quick Reply: Fender Mod Options : Roll or Cut?