SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Speaker cover...recover. Remedy for purple faded speaker covers!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-07, 05:00 PM
Sliding SC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job simann... I'll probably be doing this to my worn out rear sub cover... What did you use to get the old stuff off? Is it only glued on the inner corners? Good DIY write up and pics... I think they have some mesh type material at yardage town (local fabric place) that I'm going to try.. I think I'd rather recover the grill / cover than dye it cause mine are so old that just rubbing it tore a hole in the fabric.

O.L.T, where did you get the Black dye? Looks like a Benz rear deck cover, I'm going to have to try that dye on the rear of my Girls Benz. How long do you have to wait after putting the dye can you touch it and will it ever wear out, fade, or worse bleed onto other things? Please PM me with all details so I can get everything I need together before I tare the benz apart..

Thanks again for all the info and help to the both of you... - Bryan
Old 03-02-07, 05:28 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by simann
Either way, I have had more than enough experiance restoring vintage automobiles (race cars) and recovering steering wheels (leather) and and building motors and such.
and what does building a motor have to do with sound? Nothing. Persons like 88supramki and myself are on these forums to help with knowledge on sound that you can't buy anywhere. He's a top shelf MECP installer and I am a Masters MECP installer who has owned 3 car audio stores as well as being an E.E. Just offering to tell you you were doing the wrong thing with the material, it is not sound material and WILL cut high notes, but you did make it apparent that no help was wanted so we'll leave it there.

Best of luck.
Old 03-02-07, 05:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by Sliding SC

O.L.T, where did you get the Black dye? Looks like a Benz rear deck cover, I'm going to have to try that dye on the rear of my Girls Benz. How long do you have to wait after putting the dye can you touch it and will it ever wear out, fade, or worse bleed onto other things? Please PM me with all details so I can get everything I need together before I tare the benz apart..

it's just RIT dye. You'll do best to goggle it more than I can help with it. I simply rubbed it on and used it based on it's reputation.
Old 03-02-07, 07:49 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
and what does building a motor have to do with sound? Nothing. Persons like 88supramki and myself are on these forums to help with knowledge on sound that you can't buy anywhere. He's a top shelf MECP installer and I am a Masters MECP installer who has owned 3 car audio stores as well as being an E.E. Just offering to tell you you were doing the wrong thing with the material, it is not sound material and WILL cut high notes, but you did make it apparent that no help was wanted so we'll leave it there.

Best of luck.
Ok, you've made your point already.
Old 03-02-07, 07:49 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sliding SC
Nice job simann... I'll probably be doing this to my worn out rear sub cover... What did you use to get the old stuff off? Is it only glued on the inner corners? Good DIY write up and pics... I think they have some mesh type material at yardage town (local fabric place) that I'm going to try.. I think I'd rather recover the grill / cover than dye it cause mine are so old that just rubbing it tore a hole in the fabric.

Thanks! I will get the newer pics up tonight.
Old 03-02-07, 11:31 PM
MJHSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice handiwork. I am a sound fanatic, audiophile, whatever you want to call it. My family owns one of the largest commercial audio installation companie's specializing in churches in the US. Americanaudioinc.com --
This crap is drilled into my head-- The stock tweets are harsh anyhow, so it may get rid of some of the "tinniness" --- BUT-- sonic transparence is a function of the fiber density and compositioin-- you'll notice the material oem is very thin, almost like pantyhose, and has a design in the stitching of the fabric/material that acts like a lot of thin circular spots that act as holes--

Every material will have a certain % of wave refraction at higher frequencies-- above 8khz or so especially -- somewhere in there the waves become very short, and anything blocking the path will create a standing wave if I'm not mistaken -- This standing wave just adds to the fact that sound is being blocked by fibers, and creates another more complex problem-- cancellation-- this causes a pressurization in front of the driver (tweeter in this case) at that specific frequency --- It could be thought of as a resonance in the given space b/t the driver itself and the obstruction in front of it--- this resonance causes a cancellation, due to a similar frequency wave reflecting back and striking the driver surface out of phase with it's motion, but it gets worse, -- it's not only out of phase, it's out of phase per cycle per second --- So every time the transducer tries to move and create another cycle composing the frequency it's producing, another wave out of phase (moving in the opposite direction) will collide with it-- like two football players and one piece of chicken.

Cancellation is most often the enemy in car audio--

But, with some good aftermarket tweets, these could filter and mellow down the top end and provide a smoother response you may like, especially since the tweet is ear level and very close to the ear anyhow....

Interestingly enough, some strange things happen with low frequency cancellation that can be channeled to an advantage, allowing you to aim soundwaves dispersal/concentration to specific areas-- Making your equipment on hand more efficient in a commercial type setup-- Really cool stuff. You can use it to aim subs in cars too with a little luck and a meter.

The O.L.T. guy, he's probably nuts given the crazy avatars he's always sportin, but dude knows his stuff---
Old 03-02-07, 11:36 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by simann
Ok, you've made your point already.

Last edited by O. L. T.; 03-03-07 at 12:51 AM.
Old 03-04-07, 07:45 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MJHSC400
Nice handiwork. I am a sound fanatic, audiophile, whatever you want to call it. My family owns one of the largest commercial audio installation companie's specializing in churches in the US. Americanaudioinc.com --
This crap is drilled into my head-- The stock tweets are harsh anyhow, so it may get rid of some of the "tinniness" --- BUT-- sonic transparence is a function of the fiber density and compositioin-- you'll notice the material oem is very thin, almost like pantyhose, and has a design in the stitching of the fabric/material that acts like a lot of thin circular spots that act as holes--

Every material will have a certain % of wave refraction at higher frequencies-- above 8khz or so especially -- somewhere in there the waves become very short, and anything blocking the path will create a standing wave if I'm not mistaken -- This standing wave just adds to the fact that sound is being blocked by fibers, and creates another more complex problem-- cancellation-- this causes a pressurization in front of the driver (tweeter in this case) at that specific frequency --- It could be thought of as a resonance in the given space b/t the driver itself and the obstruction in front of it--- this resonance causes a cancellation, due to a similar frequency wave reflecting back and striking the driver surface out of phase with it's motion, but it gets worse, -- it's not only out of phase, it's out of phase per cycle per second --- So every time the transducer tries to move and create another cycle composing the frequency it's producing, another wave out of phase (moving in the opposite direction) will collide with it-- like two football players and one piece of chicken.

But, with some good aftermarket tweets, these could filter and mellow down the top end and provide a smoother response you may like, especially since the tweet is ear level and very close to the ear anyhow....

Interestingly enough, some strange things happen with low frequency cancellation that can be channeled to an advantage, allowing you to aim soundwaves dispersal/concentration to specific areas-- Making your equipment on hand more efficient in a commercial type setup-- Really cool stuff. You can use it to aim subs in cars too with a little luck and a meter.

The O.L.T. guy, he's probably nuts given the crazy avatars he's always sportin, but dude knows his stuff---

LOL.

Good typings.

-Jonathan
Old 03-05-07, 01:43 AM
19ES250
Lead Lap

nice info!!