SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Speaker cover...recover. Remedy for purple faded speaker covers!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-07, 06:47 PM
simann
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker cover...recover. Remedy for purple faded speaker covers!

Hey guys, thought I would share my 1 hour adventure today.

I got sick of looking at the ever-so-famous purple faded speaker covers all we SC300 owners love so dearly.

I went to the fabric store and picked out an Alcantera (suede) type fabric for about $6 a yard. Also bought some super tacky adheasive spray.

It was pretty simple and straight forward. Just work patiently and cleanly.

Though I have NOT figured out how to remove the rear deck cover to remove the two rear round speaker covers. I have a picture in my service book that shows two bolt/screws that hold it down, but there is none such in my car!

Anywho, here are the pics. I will have some better daylight pictures tommorow.

*pardon the unit not being centered. I was in a rush for daylight!*

*Tweeter covers before and after*

*Done*

I will get some interior tweeter shots tommorow.

-Jonathan
Old 02-28-07, 06:50 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Dye is much easier than recovering. The material you used will hamper the tweeters also.

biggest problem with recovering is when summer comes the glue will melt back off the stuff and peel right off.
Old 02-28-07, 06:53 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

not to mention that material fades just as much, if not worse
Old 02-28-07, 06:55 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Here's my dye job, much easier.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...uff/dye007.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d5...f/dscn3693.jpg
Old 02-28-07, 06:57 PM
simann
Pole Position

I bought the highest quality material of that type I could find. I also bought the highest quality adheasive I could find which also gave me the highest melting unadhearing point of any in the store. I do not cheap out.

Either way it looks better than it did. And its sure easy to do and I would gladly do it again in a couple of years if it does fade. Which I know it will not since I am going to be putting on window tint (5% rear/15% sides).

-Jonathan
Old 02-28-07, 07:00 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Doesn't matter if you cheaped out or blew the wad. No craft store sells the stuff we used to use on speaker boxes which is the only thing that won't release in the summer heat.

I think it looks good though. hope it holds! The bigger concern is that the tweets are very important in the front door and they are going to be muffled with that non porous material.
Old 02-28-07, 07:09 PM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
Doesn't matter if you cheaped out or blew the wad. No craft store sells the stuff we used to use on speaker boxes which is the only thing that won't release in the summer heat.

I think it looks good though. hope it holds! The bigger concern is that the tweets are very important in the front door and they are going to be muffled with that non porous material.
Its porous alright. You can see through it. I made very sure that it was not too thick of a material. I am very keen on sound.

And again, I made sure that the fabric adheasive (which also sells materials to cover speaker boxes since there is an automotive stereo shop right next door) would hold up. Its specifically made to bond fabrics to wood and speaker box usage is on the label.

I'm seeing a trend. Too many of you just want to see it go wrong so you will have something to type about. Typical.
Old 02-28-07, 07:30 PM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Originally Posted by simann
I'm seeing a trend. Too many of you just want to see it go wrong so you will have something to type about. Typical.
No we offer advice here from experienced people in the business that try and help you avoid mistakes and offer info to help, but YOU KNOW IT ALL so the next time you ask a question we'll remind everyone that you need no help or advice and just want to criticize our members.

*putting thread link in favorites for future reference*
Old 02-28-07, 07:43 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

i too am speaking from experience. i had a very similiar material on my seats in my integra when i had them recovered. i spent well over $6 a yard (and not because i was ripped off) and had 15 percent tint on my windshield and 5 percent on my windows and it faded to an orange-ish color the same way my friends seats did with similiar material. no one here hopes you fail.
Old 03-02-07, 09:15 AM
simann
Pole Position

Of course they faded, they wore down since you were sitting/rubbing the material. But these are not seat covers and I will be putting the most expensive window tint I can find. I have tinted numerous cars in the past and you do get what you pay for in U.V. protection.

These are just speaker covers. At any rate, they look a hell of alot better than the ghey purple fade.

O. L. T.,

I never asked for any help. Just was posting what I did. You are the one who conjured up all this "information" about material and aheasive woes. And as soon as I typed about knowing what I am doing, you seem to take offense? Jeez.

Either way, I have had more than enough experiance restoring vintage automobiles and recovering steering wheels (leather) and and building motors and such. But I give you guys the benefit of the doubt because you dont know me any much more than the words that I type. Of course you would have reason to doubt my knowledge an experiance if I have never told you how much I have had.

Good day,

Jonathan

PS: I have more pictures coming up tonight.w

Last edited by simann; 03-22-07 at 09:31 PM.
Old 03-02-07, 09:17 AM
simann
Pole Position

Originally Posted by O. L. T.
*putting thread link in favorites for future reference*
Why do you say that?
Old 03-02-07, 09:22 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

simann,

OLT is right on with his caveat on the speaker cover material. Just because you can see through it doesn't mean that it is sonically transparent - it likely is not.

However, if you're just using the OEM tweets you aren't exactly prepping an audiophile setup and if you can't hear any difference and are pleased with the appearance (they do look much better ) that's what's important.

Looks like a good match on the color of the material to your back deck as well on the 3rd brakelight.
Old 03-02-07, 09:25 AM
simann
Pole Position

Thanks Dave!

The OEM material on the back deck is a dark grey matte, but I picked a black Alcantera type fabric. I thought about covering the whole deck the same color, but I want to see how this would turn out first.

I still have not got to get the lower door speakers, since they are attached to the door panals themselves from the inside (for what I can see and read in the service manual) and am probably going to wait another week or so to do those. I dont like rushing things, and honestly I'm in no hurry.

And yes, I am very pleased with the OEM sound system and really have no plans to upgrade it in the near future. So this cover modification is honestly a "quick" fix to a very UGLY problem. I am 50% deaf in my left ear anyways...so its not like I can really hear the clarity

And as far as longevity of the fabric material and adheasive goes, its so easy to do I would not mind re-doing it if anything went wrong.

I thought I would post it up for others to get a good idea of what it might look like and actually how easy it can be if you have the proper material and time(patience).

Anywho, I will have the better pics up tonight.

-Jonathan Mann
Old 03-02-07, 12:30 PM
boobstar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by simann
Of course they faded, they wore down since you were sitting/rubbing the material. But these are not seat covers and I will be putting the most expensive window tint I can find. I have tinted numerous cars in the past and you do get what you pay for in U.V. protection.

These are just speaker covers. At any rate, they look a hell of alot better than the ghey purple fade.

O. L. T.,

I never asked for any help. Just was posting what I did. You are the one who conjured up all this "information" about material and aheasive woes. And as soon as I typed about knowing what I am doing, you seem to take offense? Jeez.

Either way, I have had more than enough experiance restoring vintage automobiles (race cars) and recovering steering wheels (leather) and and building motors and such. But I give you guys the benefit of the doubt because you dont know me any much more than the words that I type. Of course you would have reason to doubt my knowledge an experiance if I have never told you how much I have had.

Good day,

Jonathan

PS: I have more pictures coming up tonight.w
just to clarify it was my passenger seat that faded. the one that no one really sat in. and i did use good tint also, it wasnt you $99 tint minutes are less job. i still think they idea and the job you did was really nice. i think you took too much offense to people just telling you what to expect from it. btw if it makes you feel any better i think your car is pretty much amazing.
Old 03-02-07, 12:35 PM
19ES250
Lead Lap

that is what i would have done, i think it looks good. And besides it gives you something to do this summer.

Quick Reply: Speaker cover...recover. Remedy for purple faded speaker covers!