SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Undercarrige Glow Kits (UCG)

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-01, 04:03 PM
SupraCoup3
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Undercarrige Glow Kits (UCG)

I trust everyone saw The Fast and the Furious (and the 2 SCs in the drag wars scene)

So I was wondering about the Undercarrige Glow Kits. I found a UCG kit for $180. It's made a Street Glow, a good name I guess. I was wondering what you think of putting that on an SC300 Turbo. (If you have show, you need go!)

here's a few links.
www.streetglow.com

http://store.autotoys.com/cgi-bin/wf...2/Catalog/1642
$300 kit for $190... Wicked steep discounts on new stuff.

What do you think? Is this cool, or just pathetic? (Red Lexus, Red Glow Kit?)
Old 11-19-01, 10:25 PM
MadMaxSC400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ah yea west si-eede

Glow kits belong in the "What makes an SC400 ghetto?" post.
Old 11-20-01, 12:26 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Even if yo get one, I would doubt you would use it. Red and Blue colours are illigal in most states since they are "police colours". I mean all outside neon is illigal, but cops will be extra nasty to red/blue colours.
Old 11-20-01, 04:43 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had ordered neon for my car, but they were outta stock, and I never reordered. People may call it ghetto, but 2 things:

It gets points in a show.

If YOU like it, get it.

Granted I wasn't planning on driving around with it on, but using just for show type settings. And I know that at least in Virginia and North Carolina....you can have any color neon except blue, as long as the bulb ITSELF is not visible. So if you mount it under the car behind the rail, and you can only see the glow...not the bulb itself, you're fine in those two states. I don't know about any others...

But I plan on having strobes, neon, etc. Not to mention I'll have stickers on the car when I'm showing it. Ghetto? Well some people may call it that. Well I say to them, "come on out and lets have a run on the street, we'll see who looks ghetto after that." (well as long as I don't break the tranny...LOL)

SR
Old 11-20-01, 12:58 PM
Keith13b
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Neon under the car can look cool; getto, but cool.

Sadly, in order to get it to look good, you need to install 2 kits on the car, so that the light appears to go completely around the car. If not, then you can see exactly where the front & rear sticks are mounted, and obviously where the side sticks are. That looks tacky, but if you install a continuous ray of light, it looks nice. Simply use two kits, and have the next bulb start where the last one ended.

Just my .02 cents

Keith
Old 11-20-01, 04:38 PM
reLEXin247
Rookie

you don't need two sets of neons under the car to make it look complete. Most kits include 4 tubes... usually two 4's for the sides and two 3's for the front and back. I happen to have 2 sets under my sc400 but they're different colors for car shows. I compete in glow off contests with the car. anyways, if you want to do neons it's up to you, just make sure that you use a good quality kit. The street glow gold series is the best that i've ever used or sold at my shop and they will fit under the sc's with no problems. Just make sure that the installer knows what he/she is doing. It's very dangerous to have neon wires run in the wrong areas of the car, remember you're dealing with way more than 12 volts. If you want more info on these kits check out www.streetglow.com
Old 03-24-02, 09:47 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

In MadMax's defense, neon lights may have appeal in Midwest, South, and East coast regions, but on the West coast (CA especially) they are always considered "ghetto". This is why no one here uses them, and consequently why none but the most "ghetto" car shops around here carry them. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 03-25-02, 12:13 AM
Aznteazer
Lexus Test Driver

I praise on that. What's worse than than the neon under ur car is having neon INSIDE of ur car (in LA I mean). I have a streetglow orange strobing neon but thats placed in my trunk to show my system when the bass is hitting.
Old 03-25-02, 12:27 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by Aznteazer
I praise on that. What's worse than than the neon under ur car is having neon INSIDE of ur car (in LA I mean). I have a streetglow orange strobing neon but thats placed in my trunk to show my system when the bass is hitting.
Oh yeah, this is the one exception. Neons are sometimes used as lighting in customized sound systems. IE: amp racks, power cap displays, and inside plexiglass bandpass sub enclosures.
Old 03-25-02, 02:46 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

I would have to agree that if the lights dont go around the whole car, it looks kind of bad. i think it looks the best when its like the car is trapped in a bubble... not when there are just four sticks of colour on each side of the car...
but it looks cool and ghetto at the same time
Old 03-26-02, 04:59 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ComputrWiz - While you're right about the points at the show, I think when they score Luxury cars, you won't get points for that. Stickers at shows are OK of course...you have to make your sponsors happy. I don't think a couple of stickers are bad on a Lexus...it's just when people go overboard...like a huge Nike swoosh on the rear window...that's ghetto!

Personally, I think at shows, neon on a Lexus is still ricer. I mean the ricers do it because they're into anything that can be added to the car no matter what. They'll add ANYTHING that's cheap and flashy.

If you saw a dozen JDM VIP cars at a car show (back east, out here, where ever) and they were all done up "right" (OG body kits, wheels, real mods, etc.), I don't think anyone would say "gee, they'd look better with neon"...

While I understand that it's a "east coast" think, I still think neon should be left to the ricers...god knows most of them don't have much else to show off...(but like Lex400SC said, for a stereo setup, it's not really ricer...)
Old 03-26-02, 02:27 PM
Toog4me
Lexus Champion

the worst are the neon fiber optics that people place around the interior!!!
Old 03-26-02, 09:28 PM
methodmf
Pole Position

the worst are those damn lights on the windshield wiper spray
Old 03-26-02, 09:39 PM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by methodmf
the worst are those damn lights on the windshield wiper spray
Oh yeah, those pointless integrated washer LEDs. Toog4me, I have a buddy in Altanta with a Camry decked out with those glow sticks in his interior. all around the dash trim, the door panels, neons under the seats, black dome light. It looks soooooo unbelieveably cheesey and he's probably killing his alternator running the number of neons he has in that car. He's got them under the car, under the hood, and in the trunk too. I could only imagine how much money he's wasted on the look. I'd imagine plenty enough to buy a TRD supercharger, and some exhaust. Shame, shame...
Old 03-26-02, 10:38 PM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There are SO many ways to make your SC better (FI, Coilovers, Wheels, Body Kit, Sways, STBs, etc., etc..)...why resort to PepBoys style "upgrades" like neon lights?

If you're DESPERATE for attention, just fix up your SC the RIGHT way and you'll get plenty of positive attention...

Quick Reply: Undercarrige Glow Kits (UCG)