SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Need help plz!!!! vibration in highway speed( i did search) T_T

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-07, 09:10 PM
mccube
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help plz!!!! vibration in highway speed( i did search) T_T

hi guys, today i noticed theres a big problem (i think) with my 1993 sc400 with 190 000 km... while going to highway and a speed of 100-130kph theres a big vinration in the whole car...no matter if i accelerate or deccelerate... i was kinda scared no knowing wats the matter but when i stop the car the vibration goes away, i normally drive in city with 90 kph max. never had the vibration before, i kinda cant describe the vibration but its kinda big thou....so i hope u guys can help me out of this one, T_T.
thank you very very much.
Old 03-13-07, 09:12 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

Engine and tranny mounts?
Old 03-13-07, 10:15 PM
Sly Guy Yu
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tire balance/alignment?
Old 03-13-07, 10:36 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where is the vibration coming from, the whole car or something like the steering wheel?
Old 03-13-07, 10:57 PM
mccube
Rookie

its the whole car, i was thinking of the transmission mount, but does it affect the whole car? and make it vibrate that much, i dun want to replace the wrong thing, so worry now, thanks guys for ur help
Old 03-14-07, 12:12 AM
KrazeMatik
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sly Guy Yu
tire balance/alignment?
im with sly guy yu this what happend to me...
Old 03-14-07, 12:16 AM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

If your transmission mount is going you might encounter things like vibration from your steering wheel at idle or unsmooth shifts (assuming its auto). Although it could be a number of things like what was said above. Have you had your tires replaced recently? If not, how much tread is left on your tires? When was the last time you got an alignment? Did you do anything to your car before the vibration started?
Old 03-14-07, 06:34 AM
aliga
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

could be the driveshaft center bearing.
Old 03-14-07, 07:22 AM
KidPandJ
Pole Position

Originally Posted by aliga
could be the driveshaft center bearing.
If its the whole car then I agree with aliga. Alignment and balancing vibrations don't usually happen all of a sudden (unless you hit something).
Old 03-14-07, 08:56 AM
mccube
Rookie

u guys are so nice here, mmm, actually i just got the car like 3 months ago, i havent have time to get a aligment, but i have 2 winter tires in the front and 2 all seasons tires in the back.
Old 03-14-07, 01:12 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sc300max
If your transmission mount is going you might encounter things like vibration from your steering wheel at idle

I had the problem, and others said it was the engine mount. The vibration is from the steering, at idle, (very little), and when you get going like under 5mph. Is that the tranny mount then? Appreciate the help. Smooth shifts.
Old 03-14-07, 01:21 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

ryanSC300lover - Could be, but I only mentioned it because mccube thought it could be his transmission mount. The very little vibration you are experience is probably something very minor. I mean vibration from the steering wheel at idle can be anything from transmission mount, engine mounts, improperly tuned engine, and so on. Then again, my transmission mount is a little bit weathered, but my steering does not vibrate during idle at all. BTW, hope you get your car back in good condition.
Old 03-14-07, 01:23 PM
ryanSC300lover
Lead Lap

ryanSC300lover - Could be, but I only mentioned it because mccube thought it could be his transmission mount. The very little vibration you are experience is probably something very minor. I mean vibration from the steering wheel at idle can be anything from transmission mount, engine mounts, improperly tuned engine, and so on. Then again, my transmission mount is a little bit weathered, but my steering does not vibrate during idle at all. BTW, hope you get your car back in good condition.

I appreciate the support and well wishes.

I guess I am trying to figure out how one knows when the tranny mount OR the engine mount is bad, and if there are specific symptoms. The tranny mount change is easy, so no biggie, but the engine mount is not so easy, so before tackling that, one should be sure.
Old 03-14-07, 01:29 PM
TheMole
Lexus Champion

You might experience rough shifts or in extreme cases clunking noises while driving if your engine mounts are going. I think there was a thread made about the difference a member felt after changing out the transmission and engine mounts.
Old 03-14-07, 01:54 PM
ChronoJ1
Lexus Champion

You might experience rough shifts or in extreme cases clunking noises while driving if your engine mounts are going. I think there was a thread made about the difference a member felt after changing out the transmission and engine mounts.
Search with my screen name and "transmission mount".

Quick Reply: Need help plz!!!! vibration in highway speed( i did search) T_T