SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)
View Poll Results: Would you drive your SC without an airbag in the steering wheel
No, its too dangerous if you get into an accident
40.26%
Yes, its not a big deal
59.74%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

SC owners would you drive without an airbag in your steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-07, 10:53 PM
MTSC3
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=TRD_Power;2489840]As safe as the SC's are, I would NEVER drive ANY car without duel airbagsQUOTE]
I notice in your sig you have an 1970 Chevelle SS, I cant imagine that you put airbags in that, so I will gladly drive it for you
I have another car without airbags and I have also owned many cars without them. I dont worry about not having one, but I wouldnt remove them from my Lexus.
Old 03-18-07, 08:59 AM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being in auto service technology and setting off alot of air bags and seeing what they can do. They scare me, im not for them if you have a good restraint system. Besides they dont work properly unless you are at 10 and 2 with your arms extended fully away from you. Like you drive around always thinking about oh the air bag could go off??? i dono...
Old 03-18-07, 11:52 AM
LEXuriouss
Banned

why not --i wouldnt give 2****s.
remove airbag and put a tv screen in your sterring wheel
Old 03-23-07, 06:56 AM
Kayshun
Driver School Candidate

Default Yes and No

If I were racing (because of all the safety equipment that is required), or at least had a multi-point harness, then I wouldn't care. But using my SC as a daily driver with the stock seat belt... yeah, I'll keep my airbag.

Just a couple of days ago, there was a head-on collision in front of my house. The road is a 55 MPH highway, and the cars involved were a late-model Chrysler (or Nissan), and a 70's era pickup; the late-model driver was a little banged up but walking after the crash, while the truck driver was ejected from his vehicle and seriously injured. You can check it out here: http://www.wbtv.com/home/6547437.html

Last edited by Kayshun; 03-23-07 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-23-07, 08:29 AM
ManicSC300
Driver School Candidate

I swapped my steering wheel out for a soarer non-airbag unit. I feel safer.
Old 03-23-07, 08:57 AM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

My front right wheel with the drop shredded the airbag wire....oh well...I'm replacing the steerwheel with another non-airbag one anyway.
Old 03-23-07, 01:38 PM
ILOVELAMP
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nardi steering wheel = No airbag
92 SC300 = No passenger airbag
But it has Oh **** Bars
Old 03-23-07, 02:03 PM
0l33l
Lexus Test Driver

I doubt my airbag even works in the SC. Its been in two accidents and neither have gone off
Old 03-23-07, 06:36 PM
2JZ_SC300
Driver

Originally Posted by insomniac
Why or why not?

The reason im asking is because im buying a black lexus 3 spoke steeringwheel without an airbag.
I dont know if i want to spend the money to get the airbag.
i voted yes. as long as you wear your seat belt and are observent while driving then you should be able to avoid Most accidents.
I sure have b/c i pay attention and anticipate what others are going to do.
Old 03-23-07, 10:47 PM
TRDRacer
Driver

I would keep it too many F'ed up drivers around! Here is a little story: I was driving yesterday and I saw this Durango behind me speeding and slowing down many times. When I was approaching the stoplight (I was already on my brakes) I heard a screatching noise and looked in my rear view miror and quickly changed the lanes. The guy in the durango slid right past me when I moved in the other lane and he bumper checked the car in front of me!! If I did not move my car would have been a crushed bear can! So I would keep the airbag or get the TRD three spoke or replace the steering wheel with one of the other lexus wheels!
Old 03-24-07, 10:44 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

lose the airbag and get a seat belt upgrade... to those of you who care about looks, well looks only matter if you're around to enjoy them =P .. I for one don't want to be punched in the face by an old Airbag...

Some of us have older SC's, and well Airbags don't last forever... Who want a 10yr old + airbag hitting them in the face?... the airbag some of you don't want to drive without? I understand what you're all saying, but I'd rather have the upgraded seat belts, suspension and brakes. I don't trust airbags http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...=airbag+barrel The old ones are even worse..which is what most of us have.

I've seen a barrel put on top of an airbag and then detonated, which caused the barrel 10+ft in the air... yes I realize the airbag in the water and the examples giving are not real word because the bag is suppose to deploy and the say hi to your face!... but if it says hi to your arm...well that's why arms are sometimes broken.

Does anyone know when lexus/toyota recommends the airbag be checked and replaced... ? 10yr/15yr?
Old 03-24-07, 11:05 PM
gategem
Driver School Candidate

My 87 Vette does not have an airbag and since the car is made of fiberglass I’m not sure an airbag would save you in an accident. OTOH if you’re involved in a fatal accident and your airbag was disconnected it won’t bother you that you didn’t have one if you’re the one that bought the farm. Of course if someone close to you is driving the car and they could have been saved by a connected airbag then you will probably never forgive yourself.
Old 03-25-07, 01:24 AM
574-SC300
Pole Position

I don't like air bags in my play cars. But in my daily driver like my SC300 I prefer to have them. I have a scar on my head from an accident where I hit my head on my aftermarket wheel. It really doesn't bother me, I will drive a car if it doesn't have airbags no problem.
Old 03-29-07, 09:58 PM
mrhappi
Lead Lap

No airbag, but I'm pleased with my decision. Safety is a concern, but daily driven it's not.

Old 03-30-07, 11:57 AM
Sc dRifta
*****Do not buy from this member until further notice *****

just to let you know if i run my racing steering wheel im running at least my 4pt harness 3" thick and my cage. saftey is a system not just 1 thing.

Quick Reply: SC owners would you drive without an airbag in your steering wheel?