SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

IS wheel installed and functional, along with Diazen bushings,spoiler, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-07 | 12:50 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IS wheel installed and functional, along with Diazen bushings,spoiler, etc...

Well, I finally installed my IS wheel onto my SC this weekend. The cruise is fully functional using the IS cruise switch. Also, the airbag is functional as well.

To get the airbag functional I used Lexus airbag sub-harness part # 09082-00760, it plugs into the stock SC airbag wiring and then into the IS airbag plug. As it turns out this airbag harness is on a national "Do not sell" order from Toyota/Lexus. I have connections though so I was able to get one. I don't know if you'll have as much luck, but you never know. Also, I really doubt that I can get another. The only reason I got this one is b/c it's for my personal car and, strictly by luck, it happened to be in stock.

In order to use the IS cruise lever there is a minor amount of wiring work to be done, and a resistor change must be made. You could use the SC cruise switch, but it will come out at an odd angle and won't look nearly as good.

Anyway, here's a quick pic...

As mentioned I also installed Diazen poly bushings. I went all-out if you will...Full front and rear kits, sway bar kits, rack kit, brand new Supra LCA's (for the ball joints) and new Tokico shocks. My SC is from Cali, and has under 100K miles so everything came apart easily. Not much more to say or show on this subject.

I picked up an SC4 decklid with spoiler and shocks, painted and installed them.

I bought all new emblems for the car, but I think I'm going to wait and have them painted gunmetal to match the center or my Volks before installing them. Also, I blacked out the front marker lights in the bumper (yes, they still admit light). I may do the fogs and taillights as well. Any time I do something like this I pick up a spare just in case I don't like the results. I now have 2 front lips, a Runner and a Wise. I'm unsure which I'll use yet...In fact I may still go with a new stock SC4 lip...Not sure...

Here are a couple pics of the exterior...I have to say that I don't think the wheel gap is unacceptable for a car that isn't lowered. That's good b/c I don't plan to lower it as I have a built GTE/6spd swap that's getting prepped for install right now and I really want this car to hook at the track.

Last edited by TT6SPDSC; 03-19-07 at 01:08 PM.
Old 03-19-07 | 01:30 PM
SC400Dude
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, I spy a 3rd pedal Can't wait for the GTE/6MT swap...I will going down this route in the future
Old 03-19-07 | 01:49 PM
nysupraman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

looks real good! its just one of those projects i'll never get around to
Old 03-19-07 | 02:32 PM
daSC4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

that steering wheel looks good in the sc cabin. gl with your project!
Old 03-19-07 | 02:39 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Lookin' good
Old 03-19-07 | 04:06 PM
Baoser
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

i spy 3rd pedal as well as black interior!!! hehe looks real good
Old 03-19-07 | 07:59 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Good eyes guys! Thanks for the compliments as well!

Yup, black on black 5 speed with under 100K. She was hard to find, but worth the hunt. I got it with 94K and during the last 9 months or so have managed to tack on another 3K miles. Poor car spends most of it's time all alone in the garage.
Old 03-19-07 | 09:28 PM
One HoT
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 10,000

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love the choice of mods! I have the same IS wheel and Daizen poly-bushings on my car as well...Can't go wrong with both of them...
Old 03-21-07 | 01:13 PM
WebStarr
Pole Position

Why is the airbag adapter a "Do not sell" item? Any info on that? I was thinking of doing the IS wheel swap, but I would prefer a working airbag.
Old 03-21-07 | 03:20 PM
TT6SPDSC
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AwSyndrome
Nice! I love that wheel. Hope everything is going good with the car and the shop man. Be safe.

Thanks! How's in goin? Did you get those parts installed?

Shop's still busy, although most of the project cars are done. I was offered a job at a body shop that I couldn't refuse, so I'm not employed there anymore. I'm still out there quite often though! lol!

Originally Posted by WebStarr
Why is the airbag adapter a "Do not sell" item? Any info on that? I was thinking of doing the IS wheel swap, but I would prefer a working airbag.
My guess is that it was needed for some reason when replacing airbags in certain models. Perhaps it's not needed anymore...perhaps they found out that people were buying it for this purpose and they didn't want to be liable as it is an untested combination...I really don't know.

That said...I'm sure there are more of them out there. It's just finding them and getting them to sell it to you. When I gave the parts guy the number it wouldn't even run in the computer. He did some research and found that they had this one in stock and that it had a do not sell order. Sorry I can't be of more help.

On a side note...IF anyone wants their IS cruise switch modded to work on the SC I CAN make that happen. Just pm me and I'll get you all set-up.
Old 03-22-07 | 01:11 AM
Matador
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The IS wheel looks excellent, I was planning on picking one up maybe this summer and installing. Hows it feel compared to the stock one?