SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

The definition of a GHETTO car

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-01, 01:30 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The definition of a GHETTO car

This was taken from my post to importtoys...but here it is for you all to read.

I'm an SC400 owner and still love my car after all these years.

----------------------------------------------------------
My two favorite cars in the 90s are the LexusSC400 and BMW 840/850. (those were the hip-hop status cars of the 90s as well....not that I like them because of that distinction)...
You SAW these cars in every music video.

the NEW hip-hop gotta have cars (besides Bentleys)...are the new SC430 and the new mercedes CL..to replce the SC4 and 8 series.. You see these cars in every music video. (note:doesn't it seem not so EXCLUSIVE to a star if every star drives one in their video? )

Personally...GHETTO to me is any car that has aftermarket rims or accessories ...at ALL....period.

Mine included.

Any iterms EXTERNALLY or INTERNALLY on the car to draw more attention to itself than normal is GHETTO.
Period.

I think we can all attest to that. Upon that definition, my car can be seen as ghetto too. Big shiney 18 inch rims, custom leather, tricked out sound system, dvd. That's ghetto.

All we are discussing here is VARIED levels of ghetto, from extreme to slight. But it all IS.

ANthracite SC
a.k.a. Spirithome
Old 11-24-01, 07:07 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

???
Old 11-24-01, 11:45 PM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry dude but thats the lamest back-***-words bull**** that i've ever read... by your definition the entire import, domestic, and pure car-modding and racing scene is ghetto...

i am seriously offended by that kind of crap spewing forth from you... go get educated and then come back here...

btw: there was no hip-hop car to have... there never has been a CAR-TO-HAVE EVER... why? because many many people have many many different tastes... i personally wouldn't even consider buying a SC400 or a 840/850 Bimmer...

people have different tastes so they mod their car to look different, a lot of times it ends up just being the same... but its definitely not ghetto...

I'm betting $1MIL that you don't even know what the definition of a ghetto really is do you? Go grab a ****ing dictionary and get educated...

the ghetto adjective stems from the idea that someone living in the ghetto would modify their car to look like that... like big gigantic 70s lincoln, big nasty thug-style throwing star rims, nasty rattling stereo, and gold badges everywhere, and whitewalls is what i see people driving around in the ghettos in the city that i live in....

You probably just pissed off everyone on this board since 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the people here are only interested in MODIFYING their cars in some form... most cars here AREN'T ghetto...they are modded with taste (different tastes, but far from ghetto)
Old 11-25-01, 07:49 PM
AutoCoutureSC
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would have to agree with bean here! everyone does have their own taste and i don't see how having rims on a sc can be classified as ghetto in your terms. i have modified the exterior of my car to the fullest and trust me, it's not ghetto. i break so many head when i drive and i see people jaws break wide open. so you tell me, how can a car be ghetto?
Old 11-25-01, 08:18 PM
MrIan
Lexus Test Driver

Well said bean! AnthraciteSc, modding isn't ghetto. Just improving on the cars looks/performance is definitely not ghetto! As bean said, people do it to be unique. Also, as do-luck sc said, people's taste are different and unique as they want their cars to be!

Old 11-25-01, 09:48 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default The point is

Well....first of all thanks to do-luck and tru
for a civil reply w/out throwng jabs.

Bean...ah...Bean.

Well...first of all, like everyone said there everyone's taste in how they "modify" their cars
is unique....how someone determines what is GHETTO is also based on their own opinion.

I did not SAY that my opinion was law. I was responding to the thread in the SC400 forum, that was talking about what IS and ISN'T ghetto. My 2 cents was that people in that thread were basically talking about various levels of ghetto
to me.

A point here, is that not ALL modding is ghetto..
I agree w/that. But any mod that is done strictly for DRAWING ATTENTION to your car is considered
"ghetto" by me and others I know in these parts.

Any addition added to TURN your car into a spectacle and it does nothing for the cars actual performance is considered ghetto here. TRIPLE CHROME WHEELS, Gold trim, etc..all the stuff you mentioned is ghetto..whether it is on a yugo or on an SC430. that's part of the point. (San Francisco Bay Area..California). It may NOT be in your neck of the woods, but no need to
be all disrepectful son.

Not that I need to prove anything...but,
as far as you questioning my education and street smarts..

I grew UP in the inner city, and moved out to a suburb later in life and saw the surburban kids try and BE and ACT like they were from the inner city. that's where I'm comin from.

and by they way..there ARE hip hops cars to have...again in THIS neck of the woods. Sunny superficial California...that's wut it is.

Back in the 90s..everyone who was anyone around here, would always want the 2 cars I mentioned and fix em up(Sc400 and bmw 8 series)...
NOW the trend has evolved to the SC430 and the CL...that's a fact. You see those cars tricked out everywhere here.

I got friends in the enterainment, and sports industry and a lot of this is not based on JUST my opinion..but if you don't like my opinion..that's cool man. that's good for you. They have those "status symbol" cars and they (they're words..not mine)..liked to "Ghetto-ize" their lexus's, mercedes, etc. Just to make their cars get SEEN. PHAT rims, Booming system, and as much chrome and shiney stuff as they can do.

It has NOTHING to do w/the entire modding and import scene. Although some people use another term for that scene and call cars from there "rice rockets." Others would call that racist to Asians. Being Asian, I don't particularly care wut it's CALLED, It's their opinion.
Now I wouldn't be so tired, and cliched and used the term "pulling a RACE card"..cuz racism is not a smooth euphemism...and call this racist...cuz to be it's not. Same as the word ghetto. I came and related from that part of life, and never lost my pass, and it's a part of me. Again..maybe not in your neck of the woods..but definitely here.

No need to get "EXTREMLY" offended here..chill.

As far as pissing anyone off...I think anyone who didn't react w/their emotions would not get offended by wut I say, and just respond like the other guys did and provide their 2 cents as well.

You know..it's called a "discussion"

By the WAY, I'm an old school member of this form, Genearch, Swift-racing, and a lot of these folks are familiar w/me and I w/them...so don't worry about my "EDUCATION" or my background either.
Old 11-26-01, 01:11 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

AnthraciteSC, I'm not offended by your opinion at all... To each it's own.........

As far as hip hop cars... There is a thing as fade "Big Boy" rides... Always has and all ways will....

The car of choice now is the Bentley, SC 430, CL Benz, and Modena(last year)...

Ghetto is a damn chandalier in your car or suv ...
Old 11-26-01, 01:12 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Also, Bean chill out a lil'......
Old 11-26-01, 03:17 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

First time I see Bean post something that makes half sence. Why don't you see that "Race..." thread in a racing lobby. THAT will **** you off...lol

epk...when do you get your car?
Old 11-26-01, 03:45 AM
Static911

Today, I did not have a good night sleep...I was up doing my paper and reading the Race.... story. I must say that story was great.

bling bling foo'

static911
Old 11-26-01, 06:28 AM
Bean
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll have to go check it out... just got to work this morning... feeling a bit groggy

Sorry, maybe its different where you guys live... but there is no one car that is a status symbol... there are tons of them...

Anthracite, some modifications are done for performance reasons that will draw attention to the car...

take what I want to do... I want big 17 or 18" with a 4" lip and 10" width in the rear so i can fit some REALLY wide tires on my car for traction... by your first definition, thats ghetto...
I want a wing on the back of my car along with a bigger spoiler in the front; and some stiffer and lower springs so my car is a lot more stable at 120mph...

the blow-off valve will certainly attract attention, but once i get a turbo, its going to be needed... the atmosphere vent external wastegate is DEFINITELY going to attract attention... but my car will be tastefully done...

like i said, maybe its different in superficial california where a lot of modifications aren't tastefully done... but everyone in this town that i consider a friend in the import scene, their cars, when modified, are very tastefully done... very clean, everything lines up, etc...

More people consider big trucks as status symbols over here unfortunately... ever heard of an Alabama limosuine? its a F350 Super Duty Quad Cab