SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

'94 sc400 rear window shattered! *long story*

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-07, 04:16 PM
5-0 SC
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry '94 sc400 rear window shattered! *long story*

Ok guys here's the situation that's driving me insane. I was driving home from work one morning, before sunrise with the temperature being around 55 degrees in houston,Texas. I hit the button to defrost the rear window and drive for about 15-20mins and all of a sudden tshhh! rear window the grenades. I either thought someone shot at it, something fell from the sky, or a rock hit it from kick backs of my rear tires. It made no sense to me, b/c I was in a school zone and wasn't going any faster than 20MPH. The rear window is shattered in EVERY inch of the window and no impact entry can be seen. Luckily I have tinted windows and it held everything together. So i came to the conclusion that it was my fault b/c I didn't let the rest of the interior warm up b4 i turned on the rear defrost.
3wks after the junkyard window has been installed I noticed from the inside it seems as though the lower end of the glass is caving in towards the interior horizontally. I go outside on a sunny day and used the sunlight's rays to see if I was imagining things and it was sure enough looks like the glass is "sagging". Has anyone on here has experience such mystery? Its stressful and aggravating! please any stories, tips, ideas will be greatly appreciated. I love the car but am considering selling her or parting her out....dunno which will gain more profit.

Last edited by 5-0 SC; 03-24-07 at 04:32 PM.
Old 03-24-07, 04:23 PM
Lex*Toy
Pole Position

Windows are specifically designed to not shatter. Something is awry...
Old 03-24-07, 04:31 PM
5-0 SC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lex*Toy
Windows are specifically designed to not shatter. Something is awry...
yea, you're tellin me.... I inspected the rear window chassis area while the glass guy was taking the remainders off and there seem to be no signs of roof damage. Although the car has a clean title I inspected the vehicle VERY carefully before purchasing her. Also had it on a lift at my buddy's mazda dealership. The master-tech. and I actually took an hour of looking for body damage.
Old 03-24-07, 05:21 PM
S27
Driver School Candidate

maybe cuz the window was from the junkyard... was it a cheap window?? bc i believe in the saying.. "you pay what u get for." ...thats a weird story u got there
Old 03-24-07, 08:47 PM
bizzy928
Lexus Champion

I don't think its because you didn't let your car warm up before you hit the defrost...

On winter mornings it can get to -20 degrees Celcius (those are very cold mornings for us), and turning on the defrost right away doesn't shatter the window in any way.

Your body must not be straight...
Old 03-25-07, 02:00 AM
5-0 SC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by S27
maybe cuz the window was from the junkyard... was it a cheap window?? bc i believe in the saying.. "you pay what u get for." ...thats a weird story u got there
The window was around $100 but it was OEM Toyota part. There were no flaws in the glass but anywho it is a weird story.
Old 03-25-07, 06:46 AM
TheRonTom3
Lexus Test Driver

OHH well all the more reason to upgrade to rear soarer glass with the wiper.
Old 03-25-07, 07:44 AM
5-0 SC
Driver School Candidate

I was actually thinkin about lexan glass
Old 03-25-07, 02:27 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by S27
haha its "you get what you pay for"
Old 04-02-07, 08:55 PM
AustinSC400
Driver School Candidate

The replacment glass was probably stored wrong.

I heard, glass is not a solid, it is a very slow moving liquid (measure an old fish tank's glass and the lower thickness will be thicker.)

See if the place has a different rear window, and inspect it to see if it dips. Also, the glass could be installed wrong.

--edit--

Yulp, I did some research, and it seems that I am wrong about the liquid part. From what I can tell, it is an Urban Legend.

Now, I do think that your glass was stored wrong or installed wrong. Glass does have a bit of flex along it's length. I have a Salvage Title Convertible Camaro and the windshield frame is a little funny. The new whindshield conforms to the funny in the the steel of the frame.

If you are not happy with the glass, go get it replaced, explain to the shop that sold it to you and see if they will help. If they won't help, go to someone else. Maybe someone on here has a rear window they will sell you cheap. I would sell you one if I had one... I think your profile said you are in Houston, I am in Austin. I will make a few calls and see if I can't find something.

Last edited by AustinSC400; 04-03-07 at 12:50 PM. Reason: corrections
Old 04-02-07, 09:41 PM
lfrers
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I heard, glass is not a solid, it is a very slow moving liquid

At several hunderd degrees maybe. But not at normal ouside air temps