SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My headlight is fogged up...help

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-01, 11:09 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy My headlight is fogged up...help

It rained yesterday, and now, one of my headlights has a bunch of condensation inside. Anyone know how to fix this? Will it affect my HID bulbs? Please help...thanks!

Last edited by howiedoit; 11-25-01 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-25-01, 11:22 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Unhappy

Attached Thumbnails My headlight is fogged up...help-image149.jpg  
Old 11-25-01, 01:27 PM
black sc
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It shouldn't if, you look at your pic. There is another lens a roundish one. The condensation should disappear. On regular halogen bulbs. some rubbing alcohol will clean it up but, don't know if it applies to your HID bulbs.
Old 11-25-01, 03:59 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a thread on re-sealing the headlight units... Involves lots of polishing and some elbow grease, but it may be just the ticket.
I don't remember anyone doing this lately, but I'm sure many of us have this problem and ignore it. (I do). Here is the link (sroll to the bottom of this page:

http://www.lexussc400.com/lexussc400/article1.htm
Old 11-25-01, 04:07 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300T
There is a thread on re-sealing the headlight units... Involves lots of polishing and some elbow grease, but it may be just the ticket.
I don't remember anyone doing this lately, but I'm sure many of us have this problem and ignore it. (I do). Here is the link (sroll to the bottom of this page:

http://www.lexussc400.com/lexussc400/article1.htm
Cool...that was pretty helpful. Seems like a whole bunch of work though...I'll wait until I have some more time. Funny thing is...I just finished replacing my fog lights, and I had my headlights removed just then. Should have done all this then...
Old 11-25-01, 08:36 PM
Taka
Lexus Test Driver

make sure seal it tight with silicon.
First time I tried, I didn't seal tight enough and i got condensation inside. so I put extra 2 layer of silicon and it has no problem now.

I heard there's another way of getting rid of condensation - open small hole on the bottom of glass? never done it so i can't really say anything.

Good Luck
Old 11-25-01, 11:57 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Taka
I heard there's another way of getting rid of condensation - open small hole on the bottom of glass? never done it so i can't really say anything.

Good Luck
Not at the bottom of the glass, but at the bottom of the housing(the black part with several small holes on the bottom at the corner<near park and signal lights>)

Here's a lil' more info too...

:eek: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=13178

Last edited by The Ikon; 12-02-01 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-26-01, 01:03 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

The cheesy method of addressing this problem is by putting a few grains of rice inside the housing which will absorb the condensation. Hey, it works!
Old 11-26-01, 07:42 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by lex400sc
The cheesy method of addressing this problem is by putting a few grains of rice inside the housing which will absorb the condensation. Hey, it works!
Q: How are you supposed to get rice in the housing in the first place since all the entry ways are restricted except the signal light?

Q: Once the condensation is gone, how do you get the rice out? Which is going to mold, rot, mildew etc...

A: I Know:eek: get a few dozen ants and place them in the light as well so they can eat the rice:eek: ...

It may or may not work, but I'm sorry it sounds sooooooooooooo funny... You are truly a RICE BOY LOL

The Ikon
Old 11-26-01, 09:24 AM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by The Ikon

Q: How are you supposed to get rice in the housing in the first place since all the entry ways are restricted except the signal light?

Q: Once the condensation is gone, how do you get the rice out? Which is going to mold, rot, mildew etc...

A: I Know:eek: get a few dozen ants and place them in the light as well so they can eat the rice:eek: ...

It may or may not work, but I'm sorry it sounds sooooooooooooo funny... You are truly a RICE BOY LOL

The Ikon

haha...I like that idea though. I might just try it...I'm lazy...
Old 11-26-01, 09:50 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Let us know the outcome!!! Also the brand of rice you used long or short... brown, yellow or white?

Don't for get about the ANTS!!!
Old 11-28-01, 09:44 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking Uncle Ben

What did you do about your light?
Old 11-28-01, 01:25 PM
howiedoit
Lexus Champion

I haven't done anything yet. been really busy lately. But they're still fogged up! And it hasn't rained since. Sucks, eh? I guess I'll throw some rice in there tonight, after work...
Old 12-01-01, 03:29 PM
SC300T
Lexus Test Driver

I just did the left side headlight and have a few comments on the procedure.

1. If you don't get any yellowing and the lenses look good when dry, you'll want to omit everything about pulling these babys apart. In this case, all you need to do is get the existing water out by pulling all the bulbs, then run a shop vac attached to the main headlamp socket for a 1/2 hour or so. After they're dry, you'll want some clear RTV silicone sealant from Autozone or something. $3.00 per tube. You'll want to run a GENEROUS bead all the way around the headlight. Make sure you get every crevice and seam. I found out after taking them apart that the actual seam is where the black part meets the gray, and not where the clea plex meets the lens. You'll know when you see it. There is a rubber gasket around the whole headlight and the actual seam is behind this rubber, not in front.

2. I had a drain hose backed up which may have been one of the reasons the light would fog. Check the small S shaped hose and make sure its clear of debris.

3. If you do start pulling everything apart, have some windex or isopropyl alcohol available. You don't want finger prints, especially on bulbs or lenses.

4. I cranked the oven up a little higher to get better working temps, I used 225 degrees. Gives longer time to work on the parts.

5. I scratched the inside of the lense a bit because of some glass fragments from the bulbs. Be careful and don't rub across the vertical lines on the inside lense, rub up and down and make sure the cloth is absolutely clean.

6. The actual projector lense and focusing element is NOT removable by the two screws. It looks like it is, but isn't, so don't even bother with this.

7. Plan on at least two hours, maybe more per side depending on condition.
Old 12-02-01, 07:56 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by SC300T
2. I had a drain hose backed up which may have been one of the reasons the light would fog. Check the small S shaped hose and make sure its clear of debris.

4. I cranked the oven up a little higher to get better working temps, I used 225 degrees. Gives longer time to work on the parts.
The black rubber drain tube is the cause in many causes! You made a valid point there.

As for HIGHER temps. in the oven... BE VERY CARFUL!!! You can EASILY warp the headlight housing and not know it!!! A member here emailed me about this one:eek:. He said once he got his light out and put it in his car... It was not flush any more and a lil' warped compared to the side he did not do!!!

**Just be carfeul, all OVENS do NOT heat at the same heat level... I'll start low and work up vs. starting to high and melting/warping an $$$$ priced headlight... JMO

SC300T, tell the truth! Sis you leave any rice in the headlight just in case?

Quick Reply: My headlight is fogged up...help