SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So I got pulled over today...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-07, 12:37 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I got pulled over today...

A motorcycle state trooper decided it was worth his time to pull me over for...wait for it...my exhaust! He made a u-turn and followed behind me (we were going 45mph) and decided to pull me over before I turned into my neighborhood. He tells me I "illegally modified my vehicle." Yes I know they can ticket you for any modification not done from the factory, but then he says "Modifying your car's emissions is illegal." I say "Well, this is an axel back exhaust and I have the factory exhaust manifold. No catalytic converters have been touched." "Well, modifying the sound of the vehicle is illegal," he says. Then I say, "Why sell performance exhaust from the dealer then, like TRD and such and have it installed at the dealer?" "In fact, what about Harleys, sports bikes and 60% of the cars in Orlando?" "It's still illegal." I say "I'm still confused and you seem to be contradicting yourself more than explaining." His parting words were, "Look, just pay the $49 ticket and don't get it fixed. I won't come looking for you." What a waste of my time and money.

Last edited by XSTeknique; 04-04-07 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 04-04-07, 12:41 PM
iasc300
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by XSTeknique
His parting words were, "Look, just pay the $49 ticket and don't get it fixed. I won't come looking for you." What a waste of my time and money.
I dont understand?
Old 04-04-07, 12:41 PM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

wow thats pretty ****. how loud is your exhaust? I bet you could fight such a stupid thing.
Old 04-04-07, 12:43 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Well my choices are: get it fixed, take it to the station for inspection and pay $9 or just don't get it fixed and pay a $49 fine. As for loudness, it's a deep growl. The Blitz exhaust is pretty darned quiet.
Old 04-04-07, 12:46 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats wild, i've driven in front and next to cops here with basically straight piping, and none of them bothered to give me a second look. But isn't Florida an emmission free state? As in, we dont have laws regarding that here??? As for sound levels, i believe its 42 Decibles is the legal limit, correct me if i'm wrong.
Old 04-04-07, 12:48 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

Jewcano, you are right on. We are emissions free. It boggles my mind why he pulled me over. I think maybe once he pulled me over and had me rev my engine, he realized he was a dumb *** and gave me a ticket anyway just to save face.
Old 04-04-07, 12:49 PM
plex
1UZFE/2JZGTE

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

I feel you there XSTeknique I had a similar situation a few weeks back. I got pulled over for my exhaust, the cop said he heard my "pipes" lol. I will admit my exhaust is loud 3" bla bla bla....Anyway he let me go on the exhaust and cites me for tinted windows, funny thing is I was pulled over in VA and I live and work in MD. When I questioned this he said since I was in his jurisdiction I had to abide by the local law regardless if I lived there or not. I don't even have to take the tint off just pay the "fine" which comes out to $87. This was in the almighty Fairfax County, VA which is in the top 3 richest in the US......my take is that this is all about revenue based on the fact that I don't have to take the tint off.
Old 04-04-07, 12:52 PM
sc250tt
Lexus Champion

lol i got a ticket for my exhaust in my ricer days with my civic hatch .the really messed up part was my car was parked . the car was a cx with strait pipes this car is quiet ,but then again thats the law if a cop dont like you for his reasons he will find a fault to write you a ticket
Old 04-04-07, 12:55 PM
XSTeknique
Pole Position

I guess so. Even the US government is crooked. He actually told me my tint was illegal but said he wasn't going to ticket me for it. I should've told him I had bodies in the trunk, marijuana in the glove box and illegal fire arms in the back seat. Maybe he would've forgotten about the exhaust. LoL
Old 04-04-07, 12:55 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

The officer is right. Just pay and be done. It is a no point ticket. I have friends back in Florida that have the same issue from time to time.

BTW, the police would have a field day with my RX (which is Florida registered), but Mexico doesn't care one bit. Before I go back to Florida, I am going to modify the exhaust considerably more to keep it quiet.

Be thankful, Florida is not California or we would have a witchhunt on.
Old 04-04-07, 12:57 PM
JspecSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. I didnt think the police in Florida really cared about modified exhausts. But yeah that just sucks. Your fix it tickets are more expensive than ours here in California. But anyway good luck with taking care of it. It should be an easy fix.
Old 04-04-07, 01:02 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

I wonder if the officer has to get a set quota of such type tickets?
Old 04-04-07, 01:10 PM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Here is the Florida Statute, 316.293

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...316/Sec293.HTM
Old 04-04-07, 01:17 PM
Drocay
Pole Position

Originally Posted by cherplex
I feel you there XSTeknique I had a similar situation a few weeks back. I got pulled over for my exhaust, the cop said he heard my "pipes" lol. I will admit my exhaust is loud 3" bla bla bla....Anyway he let me go on the exhaust and cites me for tinted windows, funny thing is I was pulled over in VA and I live and work in MD. When I questioned this he said since I was in his jurisdiction I had to abide by the local law regardless if I lived there or not. I don't even have to take the tint off just pay the "fine" which comes out to $87. This was in the almighty Fairfax County, VA which is in the top 3 richest in the US......my take is that this is all about revenue based on the fact that I don't have to take the tint off.
Damn man that sucks, I work in Fairfax for Fairfax County and i'm scared everyday about getting a tint ticket. I'm so glad i dont live there. Fairfax county cops are **** and crazy about very stupid things.
Old 04-04-07, 01:19 PM
drftsoarer
Driver

in florida?! damn i thought cops didnt care out there..

Quick Reply: So I got pulled over today...