SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tune up... Changing Caps and rotors???

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-01, 10:51 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Exclamation Tune up... Changing Caps and rotors???

[Quote by VQT]LS400 and SC400 have the same setup. It's not that hard.

For the left (driver side) take the two covers off with 10 mm socket. For the right it a little tricky. take the air filter housing off, remember to take off the MAF connector and the hose off. Then the hose that connect to the throttle body, there is a bolt on the back side of the body. Don't get discourage if youcan't get it off the first 5 min. it will come off and the next time you know what to do. Now take the covers off. If you're buying OEM wires, the wires are number so you don't have to worry about which wires goes where. try to remember which wire goes to which clip holes will make you feel better. Spark plugs change are easy too, take it easy and remember to use ANTISEIZE on the treads so it easier the next time around.
My first time took me less than 2 hrs. that's because I know how to take the right side air box and the throttle body hose off already. If it your first time it may take a lot longer but you can do the whole thing with a 10mm socket 1/4 rachet, a screw driver, a plier to loosen the hose clips and spark plug socket 3/8 rachet extension and one of those bendable thingy.

Hint: When put thing back use DW40 to lub the hoses so it go back in easy. Twist the hoses/spark plugs wire a little before trying to pull it off

If you want to replace the caps and rotors also, it will take you a little longer, but it worth it. To change caps and rotors you need to take off the timing chain cover and it involved take the belt off, radiator hose off...and a lot of back ache. I drop a few bolts while doing it so it took me a lot longer to look for the damn bolts because I needed to raise the car up, take the bottom cover off...so be careful not to drop anything. Do it slow and you come out ahead because you don't spnt haft the time looking for drop bolts.
Another alternative is pay someone to do it, I am cheap and I like to learn how to do the easy stuff.

I paid $91 the set of OEM wires from Carson Toyota. ~$6 per Nep plug, ~$15-16 cap, $8 rotor. Rememeber there are two cap and two rotors for this car.

I'll pay when I can't do it myself. Have fun working on your car.[Quote]

Q: VQT did the timing belt or just the timing belt cover have to come off to change the cap and rotors?

Q: Or the belt you were talking about is the drive belt?

Q: After chaning the cap and rotor did you or someone else adjust the timing?

Anyone with this experience or knowledge can respond... thanks...

The Ikon
Old 11-27-01, 03:47 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

I know my fellow SC guys are changing their rotors and caps... So one has to have done this....
Old 11-28-01, 09:22 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

ANYONE, PLEASE...
Old 11-28-01, 10:04 AM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by The Ikon
ANYONE, PLEASE...
I know how it was done on the SC300, but not the SC400. Sorry man.
Old 11-28-01, 10:38 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Direct, thanks anyway...

I'm sure, someone is going to have an answer for me.......
Old 11-28-01, 11:11 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tune up... Changing Caps and rotors???

Q: VQT did the timing belt or just the timing belt cover have to come off to change the cap and rotors?

Only take the timing belt cover off. The right (Pass) side is difficult because you need to take the drive belt and the upper radiator hose off to take the right side timing belt cover off.

Q: Or the belt you were talking about is the drive belt?
Drive belt

Q: After chaning the cap and rotor did you or someone else adjust the timing?

No timing adjusted. It is control by the computer. The manual does says something about checking the timing but it didn't show how to adjusted.
Old 11-28-01, 11:18 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Need to refill the radiator when you finish
Save the old wires just in case you need them later.
Old 11-28-01, 11:23 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Talking

Thanks VQT. You are my hero. Now I can get this done asap...
Old 11-29-01, 12:43 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Ikon,

Now I know how you get your posted number so high Just for one question or comment you post in every section of the forum even the lobby

We should have some type of forum police on people like you getting high no. of posted message on the same topic. Your posted no. should be deducted double everytime you ask the same question twice...

I can't compete with you on posting in every section
Old 11-29-01, 12:48 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

No kidding, 5 posts per day. Wow!
Old 11-30-01, 11:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by VQT
Ikon,

Now I know how you get your posted number so high Just for one question or comment you post in every section of the forum even the lobby

We should have some type of forum police on people like you getting high no. of posted message on the same topic. Your posted no. should be deducted double everytime you ask the same question twice...

I can't compete with you on posting in every section
Yeah, happen to like CL... Also don't hate the player hate the game....

I guess 1Sicklex. Bitkihuna, Rich, Deiselman, etc will have to get arrested too...

Yeah VQT, when you want a response sometimes you have to go get it. It worked didn't it? Thanks for the answer... CL is great...

The Ikon

Last edited by The Ikon; 11-30-01 at 11:13 PM.
Old 12-08-01, 08:36 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

VQT, last question I hope ...

I bought the oem wire set that came with the wire "harness"... But we took the wires our of the engine 1st :eek: ..

Q: Do the wires that are numbered, go in the engine drivers side(left while you are in the car) from the front of the engine to the back in this order:
1- 3 - 5 - 7 and on the passenger side: 2 - 4 - 6 - 8...?

The harness to the distributor is different I know that.. it is driver's: 4 - 6- x(dist wire) - 7 - 1 passenger: 2 - 8 - x - 3 - 5, that go out to each side...

Just double checking before I assemble everything... Thanks...
Old 12-08-01, 01:08 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

VQT, last question I hope ...

I bought the oem wire set that came with the wire "harness"... But we took the wires our of the engine 1st :eek: ..

Q: Do the wires that are numbered, go in the engine drivers side(left while you are in the car) from the front of the engine to the back in this order:
1- 3 - 5 - 7 and on the passenger side: 2 - 4 - 6 - 8...?

The harness to the distributor is different I know that.. it is driver's: 4 - 6- x(dist wire) - 7 - 1 passenger: 2 - 8 - x - 3 - 5, that go out to each side...

Just double checking before I assemble everything... Thanks...
Yes, 1357 do to the left side. The distributor also numbered. for the wires. You should of noted where everyhting located before taking off parts like that. remember to antiseiz (sp) the plugs
Old 12-08-01, 02:01 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Yeah I anti seized the plugs... I thought that was the correct order for the wires... Plus they are the correct length... Thanks for the help anyway.

I did not change the ignition rotors because the damn dealer only had one rotor and one cap! Why would you stock one rotor or cap when the cars take two? I got the caps from my Lexus mechanics for $13. The rotor is only $3.98 each but I'll wait a few more weeks to do it again(I will order it now however).

The SC is purring along and the hesitation I was feeling at certain speeds is gone... The #5 spark plug was fouled up because the wire was jacked up... It is amazing that the car ran as smootha s it did with that problem...

The Ikon
Old 12-10-01, 07:12 AM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Yeah I anti seized the plugs... I thought that was the correct order for the wires... Plus they are the correct length... Thanks for the help anyway.

I did not change the ignition rotors because the damn dealer only had one rotor and one cap! Why would you stock one rotor or cap when the cars take two? I got the caps from my Lexus mechanics for $13. The rotor is only $3.98 each but I'll wait a few more weeks to do it again(I will order it now however).

The SC is purring along and the hesitation I was feeling at certain speeds is gone... The #5 spark plug was fouled up because the wire was jacked up... It is amazing that the car ran as smootha s it did with that problem...

The Ikon
You're lucky that you didn't kill your O2 sensor like I did with my green SC. The # 5 has water in them when I pull the wire out . The water was from washing the engine...

Quick Reply: Tune up... Changing Caps and rotors???