SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-01, 11:31 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

What is the best brand of spark plugs to buy for a 98 SC3??? Also, how hard is it to do yourself?
Old 11-28-01, 01:51 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Best brand? Hmmm ... depends on a lot of things. I can already see a debate starting here. Define "best".

The Lexus repair labor estimate book says it will take four hours for the dealer to replace the spark plugs. I took it to my mechanic and he did the whole thing in 45 minutes.

Unless you are mechanically inclined, I wouldn't do it. It involves taking off most of the intake throttle body. Mine is an SC300, btw.
Old 11-28-01, 03:42 PM
DIrEctQL
Chicago Lexus Club Moderator

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

You have to take off the throttle body and intake itself. It's shouldn't even take 45 min in my opinion. My mechanic was working at a nice slow paste, replaced the fuel filter, wires, sparkplugs, rotor, cap, and did a compression check all within 2 hours. Silly Lexus manual. It's also not too hard to take off the throttle body, you just need to write down or remember what you unplugged.
Old 11-28-01, 03:46 PM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Spark Plugs

Originally posted by JohnnySC
What is the best brand of spark plugs to buy for a 98 SC3??? Also, how hard is it to do yourself?
I used Denso Iridiums. They have an unique design and they made out of iridium which is generally a stronger material. I also belive iridium has a very high meltingpoint. My car came with Denso Platinum sparkplugs stock. Seems like the rest of the ignition system was made by Denso, so why not follow the theme?

PS. Some say that the US made sparkplugs like Bosh are great. Well, from what I heard it's suspicious how the work on the import cars. I don't really know the details.
Old 11-28-01, 05:02 PM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

Does NGK offer plugs for the SC? I was at the auto parts store today and these damn guys there were trying to sell me those Spilt Fire plugs. WTF
Old 11-28-01, 09:58 PM
moshlub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, NGK has plugs for these cars. When I got mine, they were $8.99 a piece. Times 6. Hehehe.
Old 11-29-01, 08:03 AM
gadgetSC
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Spark Plugs

45 min. to remove and reinstall the intake, throttlebody, vacuum lines, cables, sensor connectors ect. and changing plugs sounds like record time.
The 4hrs that the dealer estimates would probably include everything mentioned above, removal of the cylinder head covers, inspection of the valve clearances , checking ignition timing and idle speed. What Lexus calls a tune-up.
It is a job you could do yourself with the right tools, a service manual would help alot, especially when putting it all back together.
Dont know who makes the best plugs, matter of opinion. I have had the Bosch Platinum+4's for a year now and have had no problems. The Denso's sound nice...expensive too.

gadgetSC
Old 11-29-01, 08:18 AM
JohnnySC
Lexus Test Driver

How much does Lexus charge for a tune-up
Old 11-29-01, 08:19 AM
DIrEctQL

Default Re: Spark Plugs

Originally posted by gadgetSC
45 min. to remove and reinstall the intake, throttlebody, vacuum lines, cables, sensor connectors ect. and changing plugs sounds like record time.
The 4hrs that the dealer estimates would probably include everything mentioned above, removal of the cylinder head covers, inspection of the valve clearances , checking ignition timing and idle speed. What Lexus calls a tune-up.
It is a job you could do yourself with the right tools, a service manual would help alot, especially when putting it all back together.
Dont know who makes the best plugs, matter of opinion. I have had the Bosch Platinum+4's for a year now and have had no problems. The Denso's sound nice...expensive too. There were two guys removing the throttle body. Then the rest of the stuff was done by one person.

gadgetSC
Old 11-29-01, 11:23 AM
CmputerWiz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that I've changed plugs a few times...I've become a pro at it...lol

It takes me just under an hour to change them. AND REMEMBER TO GAP THEM CORRECTLY. I had to pull it all back apart because I didn't gap them right. For factory applications you want .040, for turbo applications you want .028 - .030.

SR